Old 28-04-2010, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Large flowered hibiscus yet again

Mine arrived yesterday. The instructions say they need "slightly"
acidic soil, which I don't have, but will mix in some ericaceous.
They are potted but I don't have high hopes!

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-04-2010, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 28 Apr, 13:54, Pam Moore wrote:
Mine arrived yesterday. *The instructions say they need "slightly"
acidic soil, which I don't have, but will mix in some ericaceous.
They are potted but I don't have high hopes!

Pam in Bristol

Mine came yesterday as well, all potted up, Look OK to me, 2 had a bit
of growth on them, 4 of the 6 had to be potted into 2 litr pots the
other 2 went into 1.5ltr pots.
I see that they are herbacious and die back to ground level each year.
I used my normal mix with soil added, we are acid so that should drop
the ph a little.
David Hill
Old 28-04-2010, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/04/2010 13:54, Pam Moore wrote:
Mine arrived yesterday. The instructions say they need "slightly"
acidic soil, which I don't have, but will mix in some ericaceous.
They are potted but I don't have high hopes!

Pam in Bristol

Mine arrived yesterday too, bare roots in a plastic bag, now potted.
We shall see? :-\

Regards
Don
Old 28-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
Mine arrived yesterday. The instructions say they need "slightly"
acidic soil, which I don't have, but will mix in some ericaceous.
They are potted but I don't have high hopes!
I bought a large flowered hibiscus cultivated in the Netherlands a few years ago, labelled as "winter hardy", with herbacious habit where frosted. It may be winter hardy in some places, but not where I live in SE England. It did not come back after its first winter, even though it was one of the mildest of recent winters. Had some very tacky punning variety name which temporarily escapes me.
Old 28-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Had some very tacky punning variety name which temporarily escapes me.
It was called Mauvellous

Old 28-04-2010, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote
Mine arrived yesterday. The instructions say they need "slightly"
acidic soil, which I don't have, but will mix in some ericaceous.
They are potted but I don't have high hopes!

Mine arrived yesterday too, bare roots in a plastic bag, now potted.
We shall see? :-\

Got mine yesterday too. Bare root plants now all planted out in the garden,
we will see how they do, must remember to keep them moist.
No mention of an acid soil being preferred unless you were reading the wrong
side of the leaflet, about Tacca (bat) plants. :-)
Interesting that they say they are prairie plants not bog plants as I
suspected so I wonder what Hibiscus have been used in their breeding.
http://www.newbiscus.com/index.php?p...e-Newbiscus-EN
Gives nothing away.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-04-2010, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , echinosum
writes

'Pam Moore[_2_ Wrote:
;885462']Mine arrived yesterday. The instructions say they need
"slightly"
acidic soil, which I don't have, but will mix in some ericaceous.
They are potted but I don't have high hopes!

I bought a large flowered hibiscus cultivated in the Netherlands a few
years ago, labelled as "winter hardy", with herbacious habit where
frosted. It may be winter hardy in some places, but not where I live in
SE England. It did not come back after its first winter, even though it
was one of the mildest of recent winters. Had some very tacky punning
variety name which temporarily escapes me.

Perhaps 'Mauvelous'.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
It's now clear that the one I tried is from the same source as the ones you are now all trying. They are saying it is incredibly hardy, even to north scandinavia. But mine didn't survive even a mild winter. But I notice on their website they say it may fail due to cold in its first winter, and needs protection for its first winter in the ground. It was not at all a cold winter that year, the one before the recent two cold winters. So be warned to protect it in its first winter - it doesn't take much to kill it in its first winter.
Old 29-04-2010, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote ...

Bob Hobden Wrote:

'Newbiscus - New perennial with style' (http://tinyurl.com/2blkzbd)

It's now clear that the one I tried is from the same source as the ones
you are now all trying. They are saying it is incredibly hardy, even to
north scandinavia. But mine didn't survive even a mild winter. But I
notice on their website they say it may fail due to cold in its first
winter, and needs protection for its first winter in the ground. It
was not at all a cold winter that year, the one before the recent two
cold winters. So be warned to protect it in its first winter - it
doesn't take much to kill it in its first winter.

Thanks for the heads up.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 30-04-2010, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:50:51 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

No mention of an acid soil being preferred unless you were reading the wrong
side of the leaflet, about Tacca (bat) plants. :-)

You are right. I'm partially sighted and miss things. I did see the
word Tacca which was unknown to me! Thanks Bob, thats a relief!

Pam in Bristol