Old 03-05-2010, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Musa Bajoo Banana Plant

I overwintered my Musa Bajoo Banana in a cold greenhouse. I thought it
had died and cut it right back and left it in the greenhouse. Came to
empty the pot today and there are two shoots coming from the base.
What do I do with them. Do i carefully cut them away and repot or do I
just leave the shoots on the main plant?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
I overwintered my Musa Bajoo Banana in a cold greenhouse. I thought it
had died and cut it right back and left it in the greenhouse. Came to
empty the pot today and there are two shoots coming from the base.
What do I do with them. Do i carefully cut them away and repot or do I
just leave the shoots on the main plant?
Musa basjoo are very root hardy. Most places in Britain you can plant them outside in the ground and they will generally grow back each year, given sufficient water and food. Last year's above-ground plant is dead, cut that away.

Musa Basjoo (Banana tree) dead? Kingtonjames United Kingdom 6 05-10-2011 11:29 AM
Musa bananarama Anietta United Kingdom 0 14-04-2005 06:32 PM
Musa basjoo - overwintering D Russell United Kingdom 0 14-05-2004 03:13 PM
musa ensete iDeafix Plant Science 9 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
musa ensete Monique Reed Plant Science 6 26-04-2003 01:30 PM