Old 04-05-2010, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tulips

Hi All

I planted some red tulips in troughs last autumn
all flowered this year
Q. what do I do now

TIA

--
DB001
I AM NOT A NUMBER I AM A FREE MAN

Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

DB001 wrote:
I planted some red tulips in troughs last autumn
all flowered this year
Q. what do I do now

I think you're meant to take out the stem but leave the leaves till they die
off (so the bulb has enough strength to grow again next year). Then I
suppose it depends on what you want to do with the troughs - for tulips I
leave mine in the ground, but you may want to empty your trough out for
winter planting, so I guess you could lift the bulbs and put them away until
you are ready to replant them in the autumn (would stop them rotting if it's
not well drained)

I think as long as you don't pull the leaves off now before they have had a
chance to recoup some energy, it doesn't really matter /what/ you do with
them.

(my black-ish tulips are still growing well - apart from my 4 year old
picked all the flowers off to feed to the chickens, except for 1 poor
lonely flower hiding under the day-lily)
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote ...
DB001 wrote:
[...]

Don't forget to feed them whilst they have green leaves on them, any good
fertilizer will do, that way you build up the bulb for next seasons
flowering. Same with all bulbs BTW.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DB001" wrote
I planted some red tulips in troughs last autumn
all flowered this year
Q. what do I do now

BTW it's not a good idea to use your real e-mail address in Newsgroups you
could end up with a lot of spam. in your in box. Use something like mine.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-05-2010, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

BTW it's not a good idea to use your real e-mail address in Newsgroups you
could end up with a lot of spam. in your in box. Use something like mine.

Don't worry about it though, my email has been in plain sight on
usenet for many years now, and (at risk of tempting fate) doesn't
seem to have attracted unusual amounts of unwanted attention.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

BTW it's not a good idea to use your real e-mail address in Newsgroups you
could end up with a lot of spam. in your in box. Use something like mine.

Don't worry about it though, my email has been in plain sight on
usenet for many years now, and (at risk of tempting fate) doesn't
seem to have attracted unusual amounts of unwanted attention.

Mine has been for 30 years, and 90% of the spam I get is from
work-related groups and stolen mailing lists.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Tulips ? What tulips ? Terry Coombs Gardening 14 29-03-2016 04:43 PM
Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips) Bill Oliver Gardening 16 01-06-2003 07:56 PM
tulips question seeking Gardening 1 20-04-2003 12:20 AM
Tulips Dave&Dana Gaunky Gardening 4 12-03-2003 12:20 AM
Tulips and Varmints MJC North Carolina 7 06-03-2003 02:39 AM