Old 14-05-2010, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snails and Walls

I would like to hang my amaryllis/hypocanthas(?) outside on my house wall
during the summer. I have tried putting them at ground level and the snails
ate the lot, including the bulbs. We all know that snails can climb to any
height, so ideas please, to stop them climbing up a brick wall and into my
pots. Many thanks.

Old 14-05-2010, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Plum wrote:
I would like to hang my amaryllis/hypocanthas(?) outside on my house
wall during the summer. I have tried putting them at ground level and
the snails ate the lot, including the bulbs. We all know that snails
can climb to any height, so ideas please, to stop them climbing up a
brick wall and into my pots. Many thanks.

I've noticed they don't seem to like wood. Maybe a length of gravel
board at the base of the wall would be sufficient.

I also have a few of these

http://www.spanishrings.com/

The pots are held slightly off the wall and nothing has been eaten so far.

Old 14-05-2010, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Plum wrote:
I would like to hang my amaryllis/hypocanthas(?) outside on my house wall
during the summer. I have tried putting them at ground level and the
snails ate the lot, including the bulbs. We all know that snails can
climb to any height, so ideas please, to stop them climbing up a brick
wall and into my pots. Many thanks.

I've noticed they don't seem to like wood. Maybe a length of gravel board
at the base of the wall would be sufficient.

Have to argue with you there. I have a wooden veranda right across the back
of my house and they climb right up into the top of it :-((

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 14-05-2010, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Plum wrote:
I would like to hang my amaryllis/hypocanthas(?) outside on my house
wall during the summer. I have tried putting them at ground level
and the snails ate the lot, including the bulbs. We all know that
snails can climb to any height, so ideas please, to stop them
climbing up a brick wall and into my pots. Many thanks.

What about a couple of Heavy Copper Wire strands the length of the wall
(flush with the wall) just above ground level? Ive found in the past that
slugs and snails DO NOT like crossing copper material. Just a thought. :-D

Old 14-05-2010, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Plum" wrote...
I would like to hang my amaryllis/hypocanthas(?) outside on my house wall
during the summer. I have tried putting them at ground level and the
snails ate the lot, including the bulbs. We all know that snails can
climb to any height, so ideas please, to stop them climbing up a brick
wall and into my pots. Many thanks.

Slug pellets or Vaseline Petroleum Jelly around the underneath of the rim of
the pot or both.
I thought Amaryllis belladonna should be planted in the ground, mine are,
and they flower every summer once the leaves have died down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaryllis
Do you mean Hippeastrum?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-05-2010, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Plum wrote:
I would like to hang my amaryllis/hypocanthas(?) outside on my house wall
during the summer. I have tried putting them at ground level and the
snails ate the lot, including the bulbs. We all know that snails can
climb to any height, so ideas please, to stop them climbing up a brick
wall and into my pots. Many thanks.

I've noticed they don't seem to like wood. Maybe a length of gravel board
at the base of the wall would be sufficient.

Have to argue with you there. I have a wooden veranda right across the back
of my house and they climb right up into the top of it :-((

Mike

Maybe it's treated wood they don't like. I've never seen a snail/slug on
the fence or shed. I'd always assumed it was the rough texture that put
them off.
Old 14-05-2010, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Plum wrote:
I would like to hang my amaryllis/hypocanthas(?) outside on my house
wall during the summer. I have tried putting them at ground level and
the snails ate the lot, including the bulbs. We all know that snails
can climb to any height, so ideas please, to stop them climbing up a
brick wall and into my pots. Many thanks.
I've noticed they don't seem to like wood. Maybe a length of gravel
board at the base of the wall would be sufficient.

Have to argue with you there. I have a wooden veranda right across the
back of my house and they climb right up into the top of it :-((

Mike

Maybe it's treated wood they don't like. I've never seen a snail/slug on
the fence or shed. I'd always assumed it was the rough texture that put
them off.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=WG86SSIG

Fist picture. Painted wood. Snails nip up there :-(( Click on the piccie
twice and you will see a Coconut. Had Snails IN the Coconut

:-((

Polished Copper wire works as a barrier, but once the verdegrie (sp) builds
up, the snails and slugs nip across it :-(((

Old 14-05-2010, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Plum wrote:
[...]

I suppose the smooth painted surface might be more to their liking, but
it doesn't explain the coconut :-)