Old 31-05-2010, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default novice and his Jasmine cuttings

Have just been given a few small cuttings of Jasmine. Are they likely to
root if i pop a couple of them in a glass jar of water indoors on the south
facing window sill? Or should i play safe and put them all in my self
watering (i.e. reservoir of water built into the bottom) window boxes in the
garden. Thanks for advice.

Old 31-05-2010, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

john hamilton wrote:
Have just been given a few small cuttings of Jasmine. Are they likely to
root if i pop a couple of them in a glass jar of water indoors on the south
facing window sill? Or should i play safe and put them all in my self
watering (i.e. reservoir of water built into the bottom) window boxes in the
garden. Thanks for advice.

Personally I've never succeeded in getting jasmine to root, but I am not the
world's best cutting-propogator. Would it be worth trying half the easy way
and half in the window box?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Jasmine is mosly very easy to root by any means you care to use, but it
does depend a bit on what sort of Jasmine you have been given as some of
the more tender evergreen sorts you need to take more care and a
propagator would help, but if you are talking jasmine officinale the
common white hardy jasmine it will root while in your hand! so a glass of
water would be fine :~)

When I was in Italy last year everywhere seemed to have a beautiful blue
jasmine mixed in witht he white. I took several cuttings and transported
them home in a bottle of water, but not a single one took. :'(
Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
When I was in Italy last year everywhere seemed to have a beautiful blue
jasmine mixed in witht he white. I took several cuttings and transported
them home in a bottle of water, but not a single one took. :'(

Blue jasmine? That's a new one to me. Not Plumbago or Tweedia caerulea?

Definitely not the latter. If I search on google for "blue jasmine" it
seems to be giving a lot of plumbago images/photos. I suppose it's similar.
It's a year ago now, so I could be misremembering, but it was growing right
next to your normal white jasmines, and I'm sure I would have noticed if the
leaves hadn't been the same. I may be a bit of a beginner with a lot of
plants, but I have been growing jasmine since we bought our current house 7
years ago, and we have (well had, cos Nick masacred it this year!) a lot of
it! :-)

Old 01-06-2010, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Doesn't mean it doesn't exist - I've just never encountered it! But I
have seen loads of Plumbago growing in with jasmine so I wondered if it
was that and then Tweedia sort of flitted through my mind, too.

*nod* I'm not saying it's /not/ that, though. I may have seen them
together and not looked too closely, and I can't go back and check now! But
it was a very subtle blue, so I was wondering if maybe it was caused by the
acidity of the soil perhaps, rather than being a different version. Nb,
there was no pink at all, just plain white or slightly blue.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
And apparently, there's a very good holiday tour company doing visits
to Italian gardens...

If I go to Italy it's for the beach, not the gardens. And since I don't
fly, I've yet to find a tour company that will pander to my needs ...
:-(

(it's a nice trip by train, but I need someone else to do the organising for
me, else I lose all the will to live and go and sit in the strawberry patch
for summer instead)

Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 18:46:21 +0100, Sacha wrote:

And apparently, there's a very good holiday tour company doing visits
to Italian gardens...

Can you give us the company name please?

Pam in Bristol