Old 03-06-2010, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default climbing strawberry

I just had an email from gardenbargains.com, about "The world's first
climbing strawberry". 10 runners for £9.99.
It's not a site I'm familiar with and went in my Spam folder via
Spamfighter.
It says "Mount Everest is a unique strawberry producing long runners
which can be trained up a trellis."
This makes me wonder whether one could try this with any strawberry
plant, training runners up something. After about 3 years all should
be fruiting but what then, when the parent plant has done its job.
Does anyone know about it? Is there anything really "new" about this
strawberry.

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-06-2010, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 3 June, 17:26, Pam Moore wrote:
I just had an email from gardenbargains.com, about "The world's first
climbing strawberry". *10 runners for £9.99.
It's not a site I'm familiar with and went in my Spam folder via
Spamfighter.
It says "Mount Everest is a unique strawberry producing long runners
which can be trained up a trellis."
This makes me wonder whether one could try this with any strawberry
plant, training runners up something. After about 3 years all should
be fruiting but what then, when the parent plant has done its job.
Does anyone know about it? *Is there anything really "new" about this
strawberry.

Pam in Bristol

Strange, but I was thinking the other day about "Kent County Nursery"
a name from the dim and distant past who were succesfully prosecuted
for advertizing "Climbing Strawberries".
It was ruled that if you had to tie in the runners then no way could
they be described as Climbing.
David Hill
Old 03-06-2010, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:32:26 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

[...]

Interesting! It sounds like just onemore gimmick to me!

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
I just had an email from gardenbargains.com, about "The world's first
climbing strawberry". 10 runners for £9.99.
It's not a site I'm familiar with and went in my Spam folder via
Spamfighter.
It says "Mount Everest is a unique strawberry producing long runners
which can be trained up a trellis."
This makes me wonder whether one could try this with any strawberry
plant, training runners up something. After about 3 years all should
be fruiting but what then, when the parent plant has done its job.
Does anyone know about it? Is there anything really "new" about this
strawberry.

The runners of normal strawberries will die off if their plantlets can't
root into something.

--
Rusty