Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & liveon

On Jun 4, 12:51*pm, Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 12:31:07 +0100, stuart noble

I adore broccoli. *I eat it at least three times a week. *

But don't ever - EVER - give me cauliflower!

What about romanescu cauliflower which is at least green? :-)

Michael
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening Bruce wrote:
I must admit I had a girlfriend who made wonderful cauliflower cheese.
She used lots of strong cheese and also had the most beautiful eyes,

Ok, for a moment then I thought we were getting the most odd (and not
vegetarian) cauliflower cheese recipe ever!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening Bruce wrote:
What about romanescu cauliflower which is at least green? :-)

Not available in my local Tesco, but thanks.

Given you're cross-posting to uk.rec.gardening, drop me an email with your
address and I'll send you some seeds!

Also, at certain times of year (probably late summer), Tesco /do/ stock
romanesco cauliflower, I've seen them. I highly recommend them.

I don't know what it is about cauliflower that I don't like. Likewise,
I am not sure why I like broccoli quite so much.

There may be no logic to it, other than that I had an awful lot of
cauliflower as a child both at home and at school, and I may
prematurely have exceeded my "life total". ;-)

I love both, but having eaten both in my works canteen, I can see how people
can learn to hate them. :-(

Old 05-06-2010, 02:10 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

drugs began to take hold. I remember "OG"
saying something like:

In my cousin's experience, you get the eggs until the fox gets the meat. :-(

The most annoying thing is, the fox doesn't bother it's arse eating its
kills, it just keeps killing.
My neighbour lost 40 chinkens one night a couple of months ago.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "OG"
saying something like:

In my cousin's experience, you get the eggs until the fox gets the meat. :-(

The most annoying thing is, the fox doesn't bother it's arse eating its
kills, it just keeps killing.
My neighbour lost 40 chinkens one night a couple of months ago.

Because the foxes way of hunting and providing food relies on storage.
He/she will kill as much as possible while the opportunity is there and
then take it away. If your neighbour had waited a few days the fox
would have been back and removed most of its kills. Trouble is people
intervene with the process and think it was just killing for the sake of
it and not eating what it had killed. OK 40 is a shade excessive, maybe
it had a big family to support?

Many years ago we decided that the foxes and badgers were in league with
one another. The fox would break into a henhouse, kill all the hens, we
would then bury the carcasses and a fortnight latter the badgers would
come and dig them up for the grubs that were now feeding on them! Often
used to imagine them plotting this :-)

Interesting visions. Enjoy your breakfast..........

--
Bill
Old 05-06-2010, 07:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

However my wife may be able to persuade me at some
point that having a cow would be worthwhile to supply milk for cheese-
making...

Having done it in the past, I can recommend keeping a goat or two for
milk, meat, and keeping the grass trimmed. They're not too hard to keep
and are fairly tough creatures for the most part. Just don't let them
near any rhododendrons though - they love them, but the leaves are
fatal.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote:
Bruce wrote:
others don't like being pressured by society into eating
things that they don't believe people should eat.

Broccoli for one

Evem worse - brussel sprouts.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old 05-06-2010, 11:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Jun 2010 20:21:05 GMT, wrote:

In uk.rec.gardening Bruce wrote:
I must admit I had a girlfriend who made wonderful cauliflower cheese.
She used lots of strong cheese and also had the most beautiful eyes,

Ok, for a moment then I thought we were getting the most odd (and not
vegetarian) cauliflower cheese recipe ever!

I'm sorry to disappoint you.

(I have said that to *so many* women!)

;-)

Old 05-06-2010, 11:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:00:52 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

stuart noble wrote:
Bruce wrote:
others don't like being pressured by society into eating
things that they don't believe people should eat.

Broccoli for one

Evem worse - brussel sprouts.

Didn't they cross Brussels sprouts with cauliflower to get broccoli?

I think I remember reading that somewhere. I just hope it wasn't in
the Daily Mail. ;-)

,
Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening Bruce wrote:
I must admit I had a girlfriend who made wonderful cauliflower cheese.
She used lots of strong cheese and also had the most beautiful eyes,

Ok, for a moment then I thought we were getting the most odd (and not
vegetarian) cauliflower cheese recipe ever!

I'm sorry to disappoint you.
(I have said that to *so many* women!)

I think I can honestly say that I'm more relieved than disappointed!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Jun 2010 20:38:44 GMT, wrote:
In uk.rec.gardening Bruce wrote:
I must admit I had a girlfriend who made wonderful cauliflower cheese.
She used lots of strong cheese and also had the most beautiful eyes,
Ok, for a moment then I thought we were getting the most odd (and not
vegetarian) cauliflower cheese recipe ever!

I'm sorry to disappoint you.
(I have said that to *so many* women!)

I think I can honestly say that I'm more relieved than disappointed!

I did eat sheep's eyes once, in Jordan. They are supposed to be a
delicacy, but I was very sick afterwards.

A also tried sheep's brain, first boiled and then deep fried. The
boiled was hideous, but deep fried wasn't bad at all.

All this was thanks to a Jordanian friend who took me to a restaurant
in Amman that serves traditional Arab cuisine. Never again! ;-)

Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/10 23:34, Bruce wrote:
On 5 Jun 2010 20:38:44 wrote:
In uk.rec.gardening wrote:
I must admit I had a girlfriend who made wonderful cauliflower cheese.
She used lots of strong cheese and also had the most beautiful eyes,
Ok, for a moment then I thought we were getting the most odd (and not
vegetarian) cauliflower cheese recipe ever!

I'm sorry to disappoint you.
(I have said that to *so many* women!)

I think I can honestly say that I'm more relieved than disappointed!

I did eat sheep's eyes once, in Jordan. They are supposed to be a
delicacy, but I was very sick afterwards.

I wouldn't have waited...

A also tried sheep's brain, first boiled and then deep fried. The
boiled was hideous, but deep fried wasn't bad at all.

If in doubt, fry it - or BBQ it to charcoal. Seems to sort most
objectionable things out...

All this was thanks to a Jordanian friend who took me to a restaurant
in Amman that serves traditional Arab cuisine. Never again! ;-)

Not that adventurous ie would never eat without a reliable guide in
southern china - though I might manage snake which they eat. But flour
rolled fly maggots is just off, even if they are deep fried - which is
an actual dish, claims the northern chinese person (so might be a myth).

I did get a + point in the north for diving in to boiled blood-tofu. Had
the missus explain I like black pudding, so it wasn't really an alien
concept.

I suppose it's what you are brought up on. I like cockles and whelks -
but if you really look at them, they are hideously ugly little buggers.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.