Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID a plant...Please ?

Dear Experts (including newly crowned expert)

Can someone please identify this flower/plant please ?

Usually grows to over 3ft usually 4ft or slightly higher.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4755883266/

Tubular stem that becomes brittle and easy to
break in autum/winter.

It was given to my father many many years ago
and he's forgotten its name. The person who
gave it to him "is not available to comment"
anymore.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Paul Starship
writes

Dear Experts (including newly crowned expert)

Can someone please identify this flower/plant please ?

Usually grows to over 3ft usually 4ft or slightly higher.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4755883266/

Tubular stem that becomes brittle and easy to
break in autum/winter.

I'd prefer a larger photograph, but try Thalictrum speciosissimum aka
Thalictrum flavum subsp. glaucum.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-07-2010, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2010 21:22, Paul Starship wrote:
Dear Experts (including newly crowned expert)

Can someone please identify this flower/plant please ?

Usually grows to over 3ft usually 4ft or slightly higher.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4755883266/

Tubular stem that becomes brittle and easy to
break in autum/winter.

Possibly thalictrun aquilegifolium? But I'm not sure and probably about
to be shot down in flames by those who know better. Any chance of
close-ups of flowers and leaves?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Starship View Post
Dear Experts (including newly crowned expert)

Can someone please identify this flower/plant please ?

Usually grows to over 3ft usually 4ft or slightly higher.

what-is-this-flower-called on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Tubular stem that becomes brittle and easy to
break in autum/winter.

It was given to my father many many years ago
and he's forgotten its name. The person who
gave it to him "is not available to comment"
anymore.
It looks like Rue, but if it is, it has an evil smell and even worse taste. If not Rue, a very long shot is Thalictrum.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jill Bell
writes
On 02/07/2010 21:22, Paul Starship wrote:
Dear Experts (including newly crowned expert)

Can someone please identify this flower/plant please ?

Usually grows to over 3ft usually 4ft or slightly higher.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4755883266/

Tubular stem that becomes brittle and easy to
break in autum/winter.

Possibly thalictrun aquilegifolium? But I'm not sure and probably about
to be shot down in flames by those who know better. Any chance of
close-ups of flowers and leaves?

Thalictrum aquilegifolium has purple flowers. (I checked my file of
digital photos before proposing Thalictrum speciosissimum.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 20:22:27 GMT,
(Paul Starship) wrote:

Can someone please identify this flower/plant please ?
Usually grows to over 3ft usually 4ft or slightly higher.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4755883266/

Thank you for the interest....

I've loaded up two more photos of it...

close up of flower
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4756063348/sizes/l/

bigger photo of plant
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4756063342/sizes/l/

(The rope+twine are there to stop it from falling over.)

Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2 July, 22:35, (Paul Starship)
wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 20:22:27 GMT,

(Paul Starship) wrote:
Can someone please identify this flower/plant please ?
Usually grows to over 3ft usually 4ft or slightly higher.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4755883266/

Thank you for the interest....

I've loaded up two more photos of it...

close up of flowerhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4756063348/sizes/l/

bigger photo of planthttp://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4756063342/sizes/l/

(The rope+twine are there to stop it from falling over.)

It's Rue Ruta graveolens There is also a very nice variegated form.
David Hill
Old 02-07-2010, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 21:38:47 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

I'd prefer a larger photograph, but try Thalictrum speciosissimum aka
Thalictrum flavum subsp. glaucum.

Bang on!
http://www.robsplants.com/plants/ThaliFlavu.php

Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 21:56:32 +0100, Jill Bell
wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4755883266/

Possibly thalictrun aquilegifolium? But I'm not sure and probably about
to be shot down in flames by those who know better. Any chance of
close-ups of flowers and leaves?

Close ups added.

close up of flower
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4756063348/sizes/l/

bigger photo of plant
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4756063342/sizes/l/

But it looks like Stewart Robert Hinsley has hit the nail on the head.

I found a website on a British plant/flora website (cant remember the
owners name though) that asks you several layered questions and at the
end - it tells you what it should be, what it could be and then gives
you a few long-shots just-in-case.
I looked-up every suggestion.
Needless to say, my answers didnt result in the jackpot.

Thank you for your time.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'd prefer a larger photograph, but try Thalictrum speciosissimum aka
Thalictrum flavum subsp. glaucum.

Thank you for your time Stewart.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 2 July, 22:35, (Paul Starship)
wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 20:22:27 GMT,

(Paul Starship) wrote:
Can someone please identify this flower/plant please ?
Usually grows to over 3ft usually 4ft or slightly higher.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4755883266/

Thank you for the interest....

I've loaded up two more photos of it...

close up of flowerhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4756063348/sizes/l/

bigger photo of planthttp://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4756063342/sizes/l/

(The rope+twine are there to stop it from falling over.)

It's Rue Ruta graveolens There is also a very nice variegated form.
David Hill

Rue flowers have 4 sepals, 4 petals and 8 stamens all neatly spread out
for display (and what looks like 4 synstylous carpels). The plant under
discussion has, if you look closely, 4 white tepals (sepals if the
identification as Thalictrum is correct) and numerous stamens.

I'm open to correct, but I feel that the improved photographs confirm
the identification as Thalictrum speciosissimum.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-07-2010, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Paul Starship
writes
wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4755883266/

Possibly thalictrun aquilegifolium? But I'm not sure and probably about
to be shot down in flames by those who know better. Any chance of
close-ups of flowers and leaves?

Close ups added.

close up of flower
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4756063348/sizes/l/

bigger photo of plant
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4756063342/sizes/l/

But it looks like Stewart Robert Hinsley has hit the nail on the head.

I found a website on a British plant/flora website (cant remember the
owners name though) that asks you several layered questions and at the
end - it tells you what it should be, what it could be and then gives
you a few long-shots just-in-case.
I looked-up every suggestion.

This one?

http://www.botanicalkeys.co.uk/flora/content/SEARCH.ASP

Needless to say, my answers didnt result in the jackpot.

The trouble with keys is that all you have to do is get one question
wrong, and everything falls apart.

Thank you for your time.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 02-07-2010, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 20:22:27 GMT,
(Paul Starship) wrote:

Usually grows to over 3ft usually 4ft or slightly higher.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zpk/4755883266/
Now I know what it is, I can tell you that the bees in my area
can't get enough of it.
When I took the close-ups of it this evening, there were at
least 6 bees crawling all over it and buzzing on it as they
went about their business.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I was going to chuck my ten-pennorth in and say Thalictrum flavum ssp.
glaucum, until I remembered it is also known as T. speciosissimum. :-
\