Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Peace for a female pond goldfish

We have a water tank with some quite big goldfish in. The males seemed to
be continually harrassing a female (one that already looks pregnant). It was
so much that we have moved her to a smaller pond that already has some small
goldfish in it.

This is so that she can get some peace and be left alone. Have we do the
right thing here?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
"john hamilton" wrote:

We have a water tank with some quite big goldfish in. The males seemed to
be continually harrassing a female (one that already looks pregnant).
It was
so much that we have moved her to a smaller pond that already has some
small
goldfish in it.

Female gldfish don't "get pregnant" - they lay eggs!

They do, however, become gravid :-)

This is so that she can get some peace and be left alone. Have we do the
right thing here?

It is quite likely that they are hassling her to lay eggs, so that
they can inseminate them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john hamilton" wrote ...
We have a water tank with some quite big goldfish in. The males seemed to
be continually harrassing a female (one that already looks pregnant). It
was so much that we have moved her to a smaller pond that already has some
small goldfish in it.

This is so that she can get some peace and be left alone. Have we do the
right thing here?

With the warm weather we have been having I would have thought she should
already have spawned, that said the males are chasing to get her to spawn so
they can fertilise the eggs and she needs their attention to bring her to
that stage. Taking her away from the males may result in her becoming spawn
bound which can be a problem. Personally I would put her back and let nature
take it's course.
Do keep an eye on her though to ensure they don't damage her, I've seen a
bunch of passionate males push a female right out of the water.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden