Old 13-07-2010, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rain - got some more

It rained here in Leics most of yesterday.
It started again this evening, around 5.45, this is really solid stuff now.
Anyone not got any yet?

Tina

Old 13-07-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:43:35 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

It rained here in Leics most of yesterday. It started again this
evening, around 5.45, this is really solid stuff now. Anyone not got any
yet?

Tina

Here in Jersey our last 'proper' rain was in November, desalination
plants ready to roll. Yesterday and today we had some proper wetting rain
but need a helluva lot more to fill the reservoirs (and rescue my
allotment).
Old 13-07-2010, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:15:36 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Here in Jersey our last 'proper' rain was in November, desalination
plants ready to roll. Yesterday and today we had some proper wetting
rain but need a helluva lot more to fill the reservoirs (and rescue my
allotment).

Desalination plantS?

Sorry, Sacha, either slip of the keyboard or hyperbole, you choose

They were to retire it and un-mothballed it last October, then November
happened. We're very, very low ATM and were again set to fire it (not
them) up.
Old 14-07-2010, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/07/2010 19:43, Christina Websell wrote:
It rained here in Leics most of yesterday.
It started again this evening, around 5.45, this is really solid stuff now.
Anyone not got any yet?

Rain? What's rain? At least the lawns don't need mowing - they are brown
and dead!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 14-07-2010, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:33:34 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 13/07/2010 19:43, Christina Websell wrote:
It rained here in Leics most of yesterday.
It started again this evening, around 5.45, this is really solid stuff now.
Anyone not got any yet?

Rain? What's rain? At least the lawns don't need mowing - they are brown
and dead!

We've had a little rain, and more forecast but the sun is shining now.
I have kept a bucket in the garden in order to catch some rainwater
(no butt, no downpipe) and till this morning the bottom of the bucket
was not even covered. At least there was a mm or two this morning.

Pam in Bristol

Old 14-07-2010, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 13/07/2010 19:43, Christina Websell wrote:
It rained here in Leics most of yesterday.
It started again this evening, around 5.45, this is really solid stuff now.
Anyone not got any yet?

Rain? What's rain? At least the lawns don't need mowing - they are brown
and dead!

We've had a little rain, and more forecast but the sun is shining now.
I have kept a bucket in the garden in order to catch some rainwater
(no butt, no downpipe) and till this morning the bottom of the bucket
was not even covered. At least there was a mm or two this morning.

Pam in Bristol

I've been watching all the rain and floods elsewhere in France on the
news. Some heavy clouds have gone over but still no rain here.

Old 14-07-2010, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in
message r...
wrote:

[...]

For several weeks we have had no rain of any consequence, until
last night when we had a decent downpour. I checked a border this
morning and the earth is still dry 6 inches down. At least the
water buts are now full again. Its been strange that there has
been rain all around us several times. I drove home through
floods on the roads as close as two miles from home last Tuesday
but here in Lebrun, nothing! Sadly the well has run dry, it does
re fill slowly but half an hour with the pump on and its dry
again despite dropping it to within a foot of the bottom of the
well. I don't want to go lower for fear of picking up silt. Only
4 weeks ago there was 3 meters of water in the well.

Mike
www.farend.org.uk

Old 14-07-2010, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
On 13/07/2010 19:43, Christina Websell wrote:
It rained here in Leics most of yesterday.
It started again this evening, around 5.45, this is really solid stuff
now.
Anyone not got any yet?

Rain? What's rain? At least the lawns don't need mowing - they are brown
and dead!

--

Your situation sounds similar to my friend in rural Germany.
They've had incredible temperatures for a while now, 36C+, and no rain for

Tina

Old 14-07-2010, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
On 13/07/2010 19:43, Christina Websell wrote:
It rained here in Leics most of yesterday.
It started again this evening, around 5.45, this is really solid stuff
now.
Anyone not got any yet?

Rain? What's rain? At least the lawns don't need mowing - they are brown
and dead!

--

Your situation sounds similar to my friend in rural Germany.
They've had incredible temperatures for a while now, 36C+, and no rain for
ages. She says "you can almost hear the grass going brown" and that her
veggie plot is a lost cause.
I wish I could send you all some of mine, we've had even more today,
torrential, with thunder.

I went out just after lunch and while I was walking back to the car there
was a hell of a downpoor and I got absolutely soaked, but it was worthwhile!

Alan

Tina

Old 14-07-2010, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/07/2010 20:01, Christina Websell wrote:
"David in wrote in message
. fr...
On 13/07/2010 19:43, Christina Websell wrote:
It rained here in Leics most of yesterday.
It started again this evening, around 5.45, this is really solid stuff
now.
Anyone not got any yet?

Rain? What's rain? At least the lawns don't need mowing - they are brown
and dead!

--

Your situation sounds similar to my friend in rural Germany.
They've had incredible temperatures for a while now, 36C+, and no rain for
ages. She says "you can almost hear the grass going brown" and that her
veggie plot is a lost cause.
I wish I could send you all some of mine, we've had even more today,
torrential, with thunder.

Finally had 10 mm this afternoon. Enough to wet the surface of
everything and fill one water-butt. Better than nothing though.

Old 15-07-2010, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
On 14/07/2010 20:01, Christina Websell wrote:

Rain? What's rain? At least the lawns don't need mowing - they are brown
and dead!

Your situation sounds similar to my friend in rural Germany.
They've had incredible temperatures for a while now, 36C+, and no rain for
ages. She says "you can almost hear the grass going brown" and that her
veggie plot is a lost cause.
I wish I could send you all some of mine, we've had even more today,
torrential, with thunder.

Finally had 10 mm this afternoon. Enough to wet the surface of
everything and fill one water-butt. Better than nothing though.

10 mm? That's a monsoon compared to what I have just had - try 1 mm.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-07-2010, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 July, 08:49, mogga wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:21:23 +0100 (BST), wrote:
In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
On 14/07/2010 20:01, Christina Websell wrote:

Rain? What's rain? At least the lawns don't need mowing - they are brown
and dead!

Your situation sounds similar to my friend in rural Germany.
They've had incredible temperatures for a while now, 36C+, and no rain for
ages. *She says "you can almost hear the grass going brown" and that her
veggie plot is a lost cause.
I wish I could send you all some of mine, we've had even more today,
torrential, with thunder.

Finally had 10 mm this afternoon. Enough to wet the surface of
everything and fill one water-butt. Better than nothing though.

10 mm? *That's a monsoon compared to what I have just had - try 1 mm.

We had so much lightning last night though. Was lighting up the sky.
Don't think we had that much rain though compared to the colour of the
sky.
--http://www.bra-and-pants.comhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Had thunder here in South Wales as well last night, and this afternoon
some real heavy rain with a weather warning from the met office.
Old 15-07-2010, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

It's raining quite a lot here now and has been very windy all day, too,
as it was last night. Nonetheless it's only about 1" of rain and we
need rather a lot more to do real good. What we do NOT need is the
wind blowing plants over in the nursery and the garden.

And drying them out :-( No rain here yet :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.