Old 29-07-2010, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a lousy year for veg!

Nick wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

My courgette is a disaster, YET AGAIN. I have avoided mosaic virus,
but it has something that causes blossom end rot before it is big
enough to make even a nibble. I think that I shall give up, as
with potatoes :-(

Sounds like lack of pollination.

Does that cause blossom end rot?

It causes the embryonic fruit to not grow much and rot, which IME it does
from the blossom end.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-07-2010, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin Brown wrote:
I have heavy clay soil and they grow like a pernicious weed. But for the
fact that the tubers are edible and tasty it would be a weed in the same
class as ground elder in my neck of the woods.

There are very few bits of my allotment which don't have stray tatties
growing on them at this time of year ...
Or, in fact, the garden.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
But every
time I grow courgettes outside, I get 2-3 and they they get mosaic
virus so badly they have to be destroyed. This was an attempt to
grow them inside, to avoid that.
If you're growing them inside, you could try a parthenogenetic variety.

Old 29-07-2010, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Just to cheer you up, our courgettes and potatoes have been fantastic
this year, despite a very cool dry start. Great year for shallotts
basil, parsley and pick-and come-again salad too. On the downside I

I tried salad this year to feed to the chickens, but it all just goes to
seed on me. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, other than perhaps not watering
it enough

Lousy year Higgs Boson Gardening 1 30-07-2013 03:06 PM
Lousy potatoes! alan.holmes United Kingdom 11 09-08-2010 11:32 AM
My veg year in 50 photos / Slideshow vegmandan Edible Gardening 3 24-11-2008 05:10 PM
media tie-ins, why lousy? Michael Alan Chary Ponds 0 21-09-2007 04:08 AM
Cannot plant the veg garden this year FEDUP Gardening 6 17-05-2004 03:02 PM