Old 02-08-2010, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Insecticide for cabbages

Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Joe

Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Joseph Blewewtt" wrote
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Polysect.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 02-08-2010, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Aug, 17:47, (Joseph Blewewtt) wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Joe

--

There used to be lots of good ones. Systemic ones. However they have
mostly disappeared. My theory is that the manufacturers discovered
Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Joseph Blewewtt" wrote
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Polysect.

Don't people use B. thuringiensis any more?
Graham

Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Joseph Blewewtt" wrote in message
news:1jmlyp2.fmcydc17l6n0kN%joe_blewwett@fastmail. com...
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

No, because I ask myself if I really want to eat it after I've sprayed
deadly chemicals on it.
Tina

Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"Joseph Blewewtt" wrote in message
news:1jmlyp2.fmcydc17l6n0kN%joe_blewwett@fastmail. com...
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

No, because I ask myself if I really want to eat it after I've sprayed
deadly chemicals on it.
Tina

I find the biological control, Index pollexque, works quite well, but
has to be repeated every couple of days. We northern barbarians call it
"finger and thumb", and its advantage is that it won't poison any
wildlife that finds the ones I miss.

--
Mike.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Mike Lyle wrote:
I find the biological control, Index pollexque, works quite well, but
has to be repeated every couple of days. We northern barbarians call it
"finger and thumb", and its advantage is that it won't poison any
wildlife that finds the ones I miss.

.... depending on how dirty your hands were!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

No, because I ask myself if I really want to eat it after I've sprayed
deadly chemicals on it.

It's a fair point, but I hate to think what they spray on farm-grown ones.
:-(
I never really thought about it with cabbages, but particularly with
broccoli I try to always buy organic for that reason. It just looks so ...
nook-and-cranny, for all the nastyness to hide in!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Joseph Blewewtt" wrote
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Polysect.

Don't people use B. thuringiensis any more?

Not seen it for sale for some years and my stock has run out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/08/2010 18:47, Joseph Blewewtt wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Joe

DDT? ;-)

My father has still got a tin of DDT in his shed. God knows how many
years it has been banned.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Aug, 23:02, David in Normandy
wrote:
On 02/08/2010 18:47, Joseph Blewewtt wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Joe

DDT? ;-)

My father has still got a tin of DDT in his shed. God knows how many
years it has been banned.

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Still used in foreign parts. Your yams from Tesco probably been done
with it.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Aug, 17:47, (Joseph Blewewtt) wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

Joe

--

You can get a lot of them off with the hose pipe. & then trample
them :-)
Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
But don't all the nook and crannies provide the perfect hiding places
for all the caterpillars.......... somehow, I never fancy eating it
when a few boiled caterpillars have floated to the top of the pan. And
if I've spotted them in advance, I never seem to manage to get them all
out!

Soak cabbage and caulis in cold salted water before re-washing and cooking!

A good plan, but I've never found it works. :-(
Perhaps I'm not using enough salt.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

harry wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good product for dealing with caterpilars on
cabbages, brassicas etc.

You can get a lot of them off with the hose pipe. & then trample
them :-)

Or throw them to the chickens!