Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Repeat fruiting blackberries

Doing some research and came across this article.
Looks like we will soon have blackberries (non-GM too) that crop twice a
year.

http://arkansasagnews.uark.edu/4719.htm

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-08-2010, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-08-06, Bob Hobden wrote:
Doing some research and came across this article.
Looks like we will soon have blackberries (non-GM too) that crop twice a
year.

http://arkansasagnews.uark.edu/4719.htm

I'm a bit confused, at that site it says...

"Most blackberry plants produce fruit in early summer on floricanes, canes
that don't begin bearing fruit until their second year. In addition,
primocane-fruiting blackberries produce fruit in late summer to early fall
on primocanes, or first-year canes, Clark said."

That sounds like a description of raspberry to me. European Blackberry
tends to fruit from now onwards depending on variety.

Isn't the american "blackberry" a kind of "raspberry"?[1]

Jim

[1] I understand the difference to be whether the fruit comes of the hull
(raspberry) or not (blackberry). I've grown black raspberry (from seed),
but not successfully, they were very, very disease prone.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jim Jackson wrote:
On 2010-08-06, Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

The sexual activities of the Rubi are something that even the authors
of the most lurid kinds of science fiction have not caught up with.
Self-misgenation is among the least of their foibles.

While British raspberries are fairly distinct from British blackberries,
that ceases to be the case when they start to involve themselves with
the transpondian species. I have seen a few descriptions of the
relationships and it needed a few minutes to disentangle my eyeballs.

I reply merely to confuse. Stuart may post more, but I doubt that
it will clarify the situation much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...
Jim Jackson wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

A bit more info here...
http://www.hargreavesplants.com/research.asp

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Jim Jackson wrote:
On 2010-08-06, Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Subgenus Idaeobatus includes a varieties of species, including the
European raspberry (idaeus), the American black raspberries (leucodermis
and occidentalis), the wineberry (phoenicolasius), the salmonberry
(spectabilis), as well as less raspberry-like plants such as the
white-stemmed (cockburnianus) and ghost (thibetanus) brambles.

But a lot of the commercial American varieties are crosses between
subgenera Idaeobatus and Rubus (Eubatus) (as is the British tayberry).
As you say they pedigrees get rather complex, e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olallieberry

There is commercial production of black raspberries in the US, but the
plants under discussion here appear to be blackberries mostly derived
from subgenus Rubus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley