Old 16-08-2010, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blackfly mostly gone!

The butternut squash which was two tone (black and green) and then a
hoverfly and ladybird motel has suddenly acquired a new lease of life and is
flowering, fruiting, and putting on new growth.

The blackfly is mostly gone, as are the ladybirds and hoverflies.

Do you think this is at least partly due to the much cooler, wetter and
windier weather?

Or have I just seen a classic example of the predator/prey cycle?

Whatever, I may get a few squashes after all.

Around here pumpkins, squashes et. al. seem to be going berserk - I have
seen many fine and large examples.
Including some that look like pumpkin shaped and sized marrows which I
cannot easily identify.
I don't think they are watermelon but you never know.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 17-08-2010, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/08/2010 20:26, David WE Roberts wrote:
The butternut squash which was two tone (black and green) and then a
hoverfly and ladybird motel has suddenly acquired a new lease of life
and is flowering, fruiting, and putting on new growth.

The blackfly is mostly gone, as are the ladybirds and hoverflies.

Do you think this is at least partly due to the much cooler, wetter and
windier weather?

Or have I just seen a classic example of the predator/prey cycle?

Whatever, I may get a few squashes after all.

Around here pumpkins, squashes et. al. seem to be going berserk - I have
seen many fine and large examples.
Including some that look like pumpkin shaped and sized marrows which I
cannot easily identify.
I don't think they are watermelon but you never know.

Cheers

Dave R

For the first time this year I have had a lot of blackfly on my runner
beans, they are still there, but happily do not seem to be affecting the
crop.