Old 28-08-2010, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grass Snake Eggs

Dismantled the compost heap yesterday and found about thirty grass
snake eggs. It least that's what I assume they are as we have grass
snakes, they regularly clear out my pond of tadpoles.
I've put them in my propagator in some damp compost.
Waiting to see what happens.
Old 28-08-2010, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Aug, 13:25, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:28:08 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:
Dismantled the compost heap yesterday and found about thirty grass
snake eggs. *It least that's what I assume they are as we have grass
snakes, they regularly clear out my pond of tadpoles.
I've put them in my propagator in some damp compost.
Waiting to see what happens.

Have you seen Jurassic Park?
--

Martin

Yep. All three of them. Hey maybe they're velociraptors!
Old 28-08-2010, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:28:08 -0700, harry wrote:

Dismantled the compost heap yesterday and found about thirty grass snake
eggs. It least that's what I assume they are as we have grass snakes,
they regularly clear out my pond of tadpoles. I've put them in my
propagator in some damp compost. Waiting to see what happens.

The police arrest you for an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside
act? ISTR that they are protected.
Old 28-08-2010, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Derek Turner
writes
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:28:08 -0700, harry wrote:

Dismantled the compost heap yesterday and found about thirty grass snake
eggs. It least that's what I assume they are as we have grass snakes,
they regularly clear out my pond of tadpoles. I've put them in my
propagator in some damp compost. Waiting to see what happens.

The police arrest you for an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside
act? ISTR that they are protected.

But are they protected under EU law .... i.e. in Holland in this
instance? I suspect they are.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 28-08-2010, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:28:08 -0700, harry wrote:

Dismantled the compost heap yesterday and found about thirty grass snake
eggs. It least that's what I assume they are as we have grass snakes,
they regularly clear out my pond of tadpoles. I've put them in my
propagator in some damp compost. Waiting to see what happens.

The police arrest you for an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside
act? ISTR that they are protected.

Surely - by his subsequent action, he has behaved in a protective manner.
After all - he did not deliberately interfere with the eggs initially.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 28-08-2010, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:28:08 -0700, harry wrote:

Dismantled the compost heap yesterday and found about thirty grass snake
eggs. It least that's what I assume they are as we have grass snakes,
they regularly clear out my pond of tadpoles. I've put them in my
propagator in some damp compost. Waiting to see what happens.

The police arrest you for an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside
act? ISTR that they are protected.

Since the compost heap has already been dismantled (or he wouldn't have
found the eggs which he could have no idea were there) I think harry has
done his best for them by doing what he has.
I don't expect the W&C Act exists to punish people who accidentally find
grass snake eggs in their compost heap while dismantling it.
I'd be so thrilled if I had grass snake eggs in *my* compost heap, I doubt
it as I've never seen a grass snake in my garden but hey, I rarely dismantle
my heap, it's 100 yds away so perhaps they are there without me seeing them?
I really enjoyed reading harry's post about this and I hope he gets some
baby grass snakes hatching out in his propagator

Tina

Old 28-08-2010, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Just hope there's no RSPCA inspectors, or the type of people who like
phoning them up, reading this newsgroup...

Ian

Old 28-08-2010, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:05:10 +0100, "Ian B"
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Or get pro-active and phone the RSPCA and say they've been found in
the compost heap and ask what to do. Place your bets on (1) sorry, we
have no inspectors in your area so cannot help you but would you like
to make a donation? (2) put them back in the (non-existent) compost
heap and would you like to make a dontation? (3) you shouldn't have
dismantled your compost heap in case there were eggs in it but would
you like to make a donation? (4) sorry, we're too busy with squirrel
killers at the moment and would you like to make a donation to
squirrel rescue? or (5) doh??? but would you like to make a donation
anyway?

I wonder what newly hatched grass snakes eat. If it helps, I've
actually got some newly hatched tadpoles in my pond and another lot of
eggs which still have tiny wriggling things in them. Only found them
when I started (and suddenly stopped) clearing out some overgrown
vegetation at the back. Never know tadpoles this late before!
Old 28-08-2010, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
Dismantled the compost heap yesterday and found about thirty grass
snake eggs. It least that's what I assume they are as we have grass
snakes, they regularly clear out my pond of tadpoles.
I've put them in my propagator in some damp compost.
Waiting to see what happens.

When they hatch, take them to your local Chinese resteraunt.
They'll know how to cook them.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 28-08-2010, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:46:58 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

Since the compost heap has already been dismantled (or he wouldn't have
found the eggs which he could have no idea were there) I think harry has
done his best for them by doing what he has.

If the proporgator is warm enough, not too dry, not too light. Do
snake eggs need regular turning like birds eggs to to stop the embryo
sticking to the inside of the shell?

I don't expect the W&C Act exists to punish people who accidentally find
grass snake eggs in their compost heap while dismantling it.

But when you find the eggs your probably supposed to stop the task
you are doing, reinstate and leave alone. Personally I'd reinstate
then try and contact a local group that might know what to do with
them. The RSPCA would not be near the top of the list...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 28-08-2010, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I've had experience with the RSPCA sniffing around when two dogs of mine had
a fight about food when I was away visiting a friend in hospital. Thanks
to my neighbour for reporting that to the RSPCA when I was away for a few
hours.

Same neighbour that got my very elderly cat put down. Cat had never put her
foot outside for years, 25 yrs old. but when she was outside looking for me
when I got hospital emergency admission she was collected up by someone
passing by, put down before I could rescue her.
I was gutted.

Old 28-08-2010, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I have no time for the RSPCA. Some may have better experiences than mine,
though. IMO, they are a waste of donations.
Tweed

Old 28-08-2010, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

harry wrote:
Yep. All three of them. Hey maybe they're velociraptors!

My chickens sometimes remind me of velociraptors

Old 28-08-2010, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
Dismantled the compost heap yesterday and found about thirty grass
snake eggs. It least that's what I assume they are as we have grass
snakes, they regularly clear out my pond of tadpoles.
I've put them in my propagator in some damp compost.
Waiting to see what happens.

You lucky devil, I'd give my eye teeth (which I still have) to have a few
snakes in my garden. Beautiful creatures.

someone

Old 28-08-2010, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:28:34 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

If the proporgator is warm enough, not too dry, not too light. Do
snake eggs need regular turning like birds eggs to to stop the embryo
sticking to the inside of the shell?

The conditions need to be damp and the eggs should not be turned.

Steve