Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Butts and Water Meters

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , chris
French writes
In message , Christina Websell
writes

You get into the realms of how much a shower costs, or a bath if you are
metered for water.

Not really my experience.. It's just like electricity or what have
you. We use what we want, but we don't waste it, but then we wouldn't
leave taps running unnecessarily, anymore than we would leave lights on.

Out water use has been very stable over the years I notice. We seem to
average about 60 m^3 every six months - this hasn't changed much from
moving house, or adding an extra person to the household.

My average use over the 18 months I have had a meter is 1.073 m^3 per
week, so that would be approximately 28 m^3 in six months, but I am a
single household, and I have never wasted water, even before I had a
meter fitted.

There are 4 of us, so double would sound reasonable to me.

When I discussed it with a neighbour who already had one, he said "What
you should do is to continue with the same habits, don't try to
economise or you will become paranoid". :-)

Indeed.
--
Chris French

Old 05-09-2010, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 12:49:55 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 23:27:05 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

'Could' you, I mean is it possible physically, to cut into the gutter and
fit a downpipe AND is there a drain nearby? If so you could fit one of
those
gismos which diverts water into the waterbut, but when it is full, water
automatically diverts back to the drain.

'IF' you have a gutter and 'IF' you have a drain

Mike

I have a gutter but no downpope, no drain. The downpipes on both sides
are 2 doors away, not even next door and my neighbours are not
gardeners.
Is there any way I could shut off the downpipe when the butt was full?
It's bothered me for years.

Pam in Bristol

I feel that you are on a looser here Pam because of the two down pipes being
two doors away. I would imagine that your bit of gutter is at the highest
point of the run i.e. water entering the gutter from your bit of roof,
either goes left or right looking for a downpipe, the chances are that very
little water is in your bit of gutter.

And no, not as far as I am aware is there a way of fitting a tap in a
downpipe. In any case the joints are not 'waterproof' and if a tap were
fitted just above the butt, water still in the pipe would leak out through
the joints unless all joints were sealed.

Another thought, but might not be worth the expense, are there any drain
runs going across the back of your house? If so a junction called a 'rodding
point' could be fitted and a drain put in for you. I had to do this when we
re-organised the house and moved the kitchen to a larger room turning it
into a farmhouse kitchen and giving us a fabulous garden room where the old
kitchen was.

Just a few more thoughts

Mike

Thanks Mike for your thoughts. I'm afraid you are right and it's just
not worth it. I've a very small garden. I'm not aware of any drains
across my garden but Imust enquire.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-09-2010, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 11:11:53 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

This assumes that normal downpipe bore is required. A butt should fill
eventually with a much narrower pipe which could be properly sealed,
but make the tap removable for rodding out the roof debris which will
inevitably clog it.

Also, does the OP have any smaller roofs available? After all, many an
allotment butt fills from its tiny tool shed. I have a small butt
which fills from gutters on a tool bunker and raised cold frame.

Chris

Sadly, to the last question, no, there are no other available roofs.
Thanks anyway

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Gordon H" beans were not doing
too well made

I have had a water butt for a number of years, I also have a water meter
for the last two years, it halved my bill.
--

I do not have a water meter and do not want one even if it halved my bill.
I don't want to worry about every time I turn the tap on, or how much it
You get into the realms of how much a shower costs, or a bath if you are
metered for water.
Tina

Not really - Or at least I don't. Yes you are aware that it costs, but
not to that extent because you are starting further back as it were. It
doe discourage irresponsible usage especially during dry spells before
bans come in.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

'Christina Websell[_2_ Wrote:
;899478']

I do not have a water meter and do not want one even if it halved my
bill.

I'm very pleased to hear it :-)

I've been wondering what will happen to meter charges once all the
people on low usage, currently paying more than their fair share of
water charges, move to meters.

Yes, the more people who stay on the rateable value based tariff, the
lower my metered bills will stay. :-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

'Christina Websell[_2_ Wrote:
;899478']

I do not have a water meter and do not want one even if it halved my
bill.

I'm very pleased to hear it :-)

I've been wondering what will happen to meter charges once all the
people on low usage, currently paying more than their fair share of
water charges, move to meters.

I don't think I have particularly low usage, like a lone person with no
garden etc. It would be an advantage then to be on a water meter.
I like to water my garden if necessary, it's not a small one, and I run a
hosepipe down to my chickens huts to fill several barrels to dip from.
I'd rather pay a fixed amount to use as much as I need.