Old 10-09-2010, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default anvil secateurs?

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

"stuart noble" wrote in message

My latest is a £3 job from some supermarket, which looks sturdy enough
but, straight out of its shrink wrap, doesn't cut cleanly through a soft
5mm stalk.

Take it back, it's not fit for the purpose it was sold for.
It doesn't matter how cheap they were, secateurs are supposed to be able
cut and prune much bigger and woodier stems than that.
I always advise people to take back useless stuff. If you don't the
company
that sell them won't realise how cr"p it is and will continue to sell it,
leading to more dissatisfied customers who don't complain who might say to
their friends "don't buy anything from xxx, their secateurs were rubbish."
Etc.
It's in that company's best interest to keep their customers happy and if
they don't realise they are not they might find business declining.
So, by taking your useless secateurs back you are actually doing them a
favour. Remind them of that if they claim otherwise when you do ;-)

Tina

You are right of course, but I never do, is it a man thing? my wife will
allways do the returns but I wont even be in the store while she does it!
I am afraid a company never gets a second chance to put things right with
me, if it doesn't work out of the box thats it, into the bin and never go
there again.
----
But by avoiding the issue, they will never know how rubbish what they are
selling is, and won't have a chance to put it right.
I always take back whatever I buy if it is not fit for the purpose it was
sold for, whether it costs 3 quid or a lot more.
The cost is not the point.
If I buy secateurs at whatever price, the assumption I have is that they
will prune, that's what they are for.
If they don't, they will be returned for a refund.
Tina

Old 10-09-2010, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/09/2010 09:04, Charlie Pridham wrote:
In ,
says...

"stuart wrote in message

My latest is a £3 job from some supermarket, which looks sturdy enough
but, straight out of its shrink wrap, doesn't cut cleanly through a soft
5mm stalk.

Take it back, it's not fit for the purpose it was sold for.
It doesn't matter how cheap they were, secateurs are supposed to be able to
[...]

Yes, it's a man thing i.e. the logical solution. I'll get me coat.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart wrote in message

My latest is a £3 job from some supermarket, which looks sturdy
enough but, straight out of its shrink wrap, doesn't cut cleanly
through a soft 5mm stalk.

Take it back, it's not fit for the purpose it was sold for.
It doesn't matter how cheap they were, secateurs are supposed to be
able to cut and prune much bigger and woodier stems than that.
[...]

It sounds like a /rich/ man thing. I not only want, but /need/ my money
back if something's not up to snuff. OK, sometimes I can't make up my
mind, or never get round to it; but that's not a male thing, it's a human
thing.

Does it depend on how much it cost? If you bought a lawnmower and it did
not cut your lawn would you take that back?
I suspect you would.
So you should take back secateurs that do not cut. They were sold to do a
job and if they can't just return them for a refund. They cannot argue, and
if they do, threaten them with what Act says must be fit for the purpose
(forget what it is, but there is one!)
Tina

Old 12-09-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

"stuart wrote in message

My latest is a £3 job from some supermarket, which looks sturdy
enough but, straight out of its shrink wrap, doesn't cut cleanly
through a soft 5mm stalk.

Take it back, it's not fit for the purpose it was sold for.
It doesn't matter how cheap they were, secateurs are supposed to
be able to cut and prune much bigger and woodier stems than that.
[...]

I assume that was to the non-returners, not me.

--
Mike.

Rolcut anvil secateurs Bob Hobden United Kingdom 9 17-08-2011 08:20 AM
Bypass or anvil lopper? Doc Lawns 3 14-11-2009 12:08 AM
Best anvil pruners? Rhiannon Pendragon Gardening 2 29-05-2007 03:42 AM
looking for roicut anvil secateurs trooperbill United Kingdom 0 23-11-2006 11:23 AM
secateurs Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:14 AM