Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Tea bags that rot down in compost

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I think most civilised people drink loose leaf tea in Bodum glass infusers.

Oh, I loved our bodum infuser, but after 2 catastrophic middle of the night
infuser-suicides, we've given up and gone back to a pot. :-(
(they /really/ make a mess when they launch themselves from a high shelf,
especially, it seems, at 3am. I think it's to do with the location of the
moon and its effect on gravity!)
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gordon H wrote:
I have a couple of Bodum coffee infusers, now you have me wondering
whether they could be used for tea...

The tea infuser is a different beast to the coffee infuser.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mogga
wrote

Have you written to Typhoo to ask them if they will change the bags?

You would be better off writing to the supermarket asking why their
supplies are not going "green".

--
Alan

Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

snipped
Well, mine don't. I spread the contents of my compost bin on my
allotment on Thursday, and was dismayed to find that there were
thousands of Typhoo tea bags on the surface, the contents rotted down,
the outer bags present.
They had been in the compost for up to 1 year.
So the seach for a tea bag that provides a good cup of tea, and rots
down continues.

Ah, but no chicken poo in the compost?
No wonder it doesn't rot g
No teabags refuse to rot in my compost heap.

OK, then I'l try chicken poo. It sells for £3.50 a bag here in
Cornwall. It's that or change the tea bags, and I do enjoy Typhoo.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Peter
James wrote

OK, then I'l try chicken poo. It sells for £3.50 a bag here in
Cornwall.

£3.50 per bag! That's a very expensive way of producing one cup of an
alternative hot drink.

--
Alan
Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/09/2010 17:02, Alan wrote:
In message , Peter
James wrote

OK, then I'l try chicken poo. It sells for £3.50 a bag here in
Cornwall.

£3.50 per bag! That's a very expensive way of producing one cup of an
alternative hot drink.

I bet they don't sell much of that chicken cup-a-soup! ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan wrote:
In message , Peter
James wrote

OK, then I'l try chicken poo. It sells for £3.50 a bag here in
Cornwall.

£3.50 per bag! That's a very expensive way of producing one cup of an
alternative hot drink.

Well, it would last a long time though.

--
Mike.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan
writes
In message , Peter
James wrote

OK, then I'l try chicken poo. It sells for £3.50 a bag here in
Cornwall.

£3.50 per bag! That's a very expensive way of producing one cup of an
alternative hot drink.

And the taste is too strong for me...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 13-09-2010, 09:18 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

We've got a stainless steel one, which also has the advantage of being insulated. At last we've managed to stop adding to our supply of orphan plungers!
__________________
Old 14-09-2010, 01:43 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James[_2_] View Post
I've just spread the contents of the compost bin on my vegetable garden
and find that the Typhoo tea bags that were put into the compost haven't
rotted down.
Can anyone recommend a tea bag that will rot down in the compost.
Typhoo tea bags seem to leave a fine plastic net behind them.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
from being gruntled.
P.G. Wodehouse 1881 -1975
Hi Peter,

I was in the habit on discarding tea bags into my compost bin, I also found that even after a year they had not broken down. I now dry said tea bags, rip them open and save the leaves in a container. The bags I discard to the rubbish bin, I think that they must be using some form of synthetic mesh.

What worries me is that we don't know what it is made from, what worries me more is that we are drinking tea which may not be safe for human consumption!!!

uriel13
Old 14-09-2010, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , mogga
wrote

Have you written to Typhoo to ask them if they will change the bags?

You would be better off writing to the supermarket asking why their
supplies are not going "green".

--

Both these ideas are good. Typhoo should definitely be asked about why
their tea bag*bags" do not rot down in an ordinary compost heap.

So why not ask them about their sources? I did, and received reassurance
that nothing in his food was sourced from China.
Not so for his treats that were manufactured by Bob Martin. They were
unable to identify where exactly the ingredients came from, and fiddled
around by repeated e-mails that said "we are committed to the health of.."

I take that as a no, then. They have no idea, and all the treats are in the
bin.

Old 14-09-2010, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Alan wrote:

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag they
put it in?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...biodegradeable

I think most civilised people drink loose leaf tea in Bodum glass infusers.
Better for the palate and better for the garden.
Sadly it is becoming steadily more difficult to find loose leaf tea
in supermarkets.

You might have to get the stuff by mail order - I'm lucky, I can drop in
on ilkinson's (and another tea/coffee merchant in Norwich) - the only
teabags I have in the house are used ones I've scrounged from fiends and
rellies.

I dry them (to entertain the neighbours?) on my washing line, then, when
I feel like some mustard and cress, us them as mini growbags.

/Owners of bitches, note:/

TAAAW, if you get bald patches in your lawn, sowing them with grass seed
and patching the spots when the grass ha sprouted deprives the sparrows
of the seed.

--
Rusty

How do you get pond plants to rot down on the compost heap Jq Roberts Gardening 5 15-08-2013 05:18 AM
compost "tea bags" Peter[_4_] Australia 5 11-09-2007 03:40 PM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Tea Leaves Down Sink Or Compost / Garden ? Martin United Kingdom 112 28-03-2004 03:55 AM
Tea Leaves Down Sink Or Compost / Garden ? Martin United Kingdom 3 22-03-2004 06:59 PM