Old 20-09-2010, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedge - Mixing Hornbeam and Dogwood

In message , Spamlet
writes

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Spamlet wrote:
[...]
When you have an internet connection why can you not check your most
basic facts?

They do it expressly to annoy you, of course. Since you have an internet
connection, you have the opportunity to learn how people in amiable
groups
like this one usually talk to one another. Check it out: the skill is
transferable, and could pay dividends in your non-Usenet life.

--
Mike.

As it happens this is the only usenet group where I have actually found
any
rude people.

You know, I didn't find your earlier ignoring of the context of my words
in order to post a faux correction to be the epitome of politeness.

As for your earlier question, there's a relevant quotation from Mark
Twain, that goes, roughly, it's not what you don't know that's the
problem, it's what you know that ain't so.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Hi Stewart,

On the contrary on the first part (sorry but over my head on the second), I
wasn't intending any 'correction' of your comments: which have all been
interesting and knowledgeable. If you are the BSBI member I take you to
be, you will be as aware of the reporting of finds from gardens as I am.
Others, happening across this group as I did, might not be aware of the
possibility of finding an important 'weed' in their garden though, so I just
took the opportunity of giving them a plug.

As I have been housebound and rather out of any sort of surveying - other
than of the bugs and weeds that turn up indoors - lately (particularly
galling in what appears to be an excellent fungi season) I have been missing
out on BSBI - and even the local BNA, news, so your input here has been
appreciated.

Regards,

Old 21-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Registered User

hello all,
sorry to jump in on this thread but my question though hedge related isn't specifically re this thread. I have recently come across a hedging described as "Wonder hedge" a Turkestan elm which would be ideal for quickly filling the wind tunnel of a hole in my current hedge. is there a catch ? i'm fearing japanes knotweed, himalayan balsam leylandii etc. or is it not too good to be true. any one had a go wit it
apologies forbutting in
darto x
Old 22-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered User

The thing is that I would like to use resource that I already have on my property which was not used for few years so instead of cutting everything that is grown naturally, I've chose to use what I have and also save money.
And what I have is hornbeam and dogwood which is native for this region of Croatia where my 6acre property is located.

On web I couldn't find anything about mixing hornbeam and dogwood particularly, so if you have checked all the basic facts about that, please let me know.

Otherwise, I think that in specific situations like this it is best to ask experienced people, and I guess there is some on forum.

Should I mix hornbeam and dogwood in hedge and in what way?

Should I use them separately for different hedges on property?

Thanks,
Martin
Old 22-09-2010, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Sep, 17:40, Darto wrote:
hello all,
sorry to jump in on this thread but my question though hedge related
isn't specifically re this thread. I have recently come across a hedging
described as "Wonder hedge" a Turkestan elm which would be ideal for
quickly filling the wind tunnel of a hole in my current hedge. is there
a catch ? i'm fearing japanes knotweed, himalayan balsam leylandii etc.
or is it not too good to be true. any one had a go wit it
apologies forbutting in
darto x

Interesting. I've been to the web site, and have the following
thoughts:
1. I agree with you, importing non-native plants should be done with
caution
2. If it grows 1.5 metres in the first year, presumably it does the
same every year after that? You'd have to keep on top of that!
Old 22-09-2010, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Sep, 10:06, bobharvey wrote:
On 21 Sep, 17:40, Darto wrote:

hello all,
sorry to jump in on this thread but my question though hedge related
isn't specifically re this thread. I have recently come across a hedging
described as "Wonder hedge" a Turkestan elm which would be ideal for
quickly filling the wind tunnel of a hole in my current hedge. is there
a catch ? i'm fearing japanes knotweed, himalayan balsam leylandii etc.
or is it not too good to be true. any one had a go wit it
apologies forbutting in
darto x

Interesting. *I've been to the web site, and have the following
thoughts:
1. *I agree with you, importing non-native plants should be done with
caution
2. *If it grows 1.5 metres in the first year, presumably it does the
same every year after that? *You'd have to keep on top of that!

Ah yes.
Just found this on the web site:
http://www.wonderhedge.co.uk/sovenyg.../dscf4269.html

Old 22-09-2010, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
bobharvey writes
On 21 Sep, 17:40, Darto wrote:

[...]

The plant being talked about is Ulmus pumila. The Wikipedia article
isn't very positive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulmus_pumila

It is being marketed as Ulmus pumila celer. As far as I can tell the
varietal name hasn't been formally published, but I presume that this is
a fast growing selection of the species. I'd guess that you'd treat it
like a beech hedge.

If properly trimmed (some) elms do make decent hedges. (I don't know
what species occurs in hedges around here - as a free growing plant
Ulmus glabra is much the commoner, but the form of the leaves changes
when trimmed, and I'm don't know whether the hedge elms are Ulmus glabra
or Ulmus procera.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-09-2010, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mountain_spring" wrote in
message ...

Spamlet;900794 Wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
...-

When you have an internet connection why can you not check your most
basic
facts?S -

The thing is that I would like to use resource that I already have on my
property which was not used for few years so instead of cutting
everything that is grown naturally, I've chose to use what I have and
also save money.
And what I have is hornbeam and dogwood which is native for this region
of Croatia where my 6acre property is located.

On web I couldn't find anything about mixing hornbeam and dogwood
particularly, so if you have checked all the basic facts about that,
please let me know.

Otherwise, I think that in specific situations like this it is best to
ask experienced people, and I guess there is some on forum.

Should I mix hornbeam and dogwood in hedge and in what way?

Should I use them separately for different hedges on property?

Thanks,
Martin

Apologies Martin,

How interesting to hear from Croatia! Unfortunately, my one friend who
might have had a good answer for you was brought up in Slovenia/Croatia, but
has now decamped to farming in New Zealand, and we've got out of touch. Her
stories of the wonderful plants and wildlife in her home land always made me
wonder what on earth brought her to the UK (before the awful troubles). You
are in one of Europe's key areas of floristic richness, so it is good to
hear you want to use native local stock. Probably your best bet is to have
a wander around and see what is the range of species in the better of the
hedges in your area.

You could certainly pull off suckers from the dogwood to start your hedge
off, and in the meantime collect fruits from other hedges with different
species, and start your own nursery of local strains, to add interest to
your hedge as you go. (A number of groups in the UK have started their own
nurseries raising hedging plants from locally collected fruits, and you may
even find there are similar groups in your country. Andrew Bowman-Shaw in
my area, some years back organised local school children to collect from
local hedgerows to make a stock of hedging plants. A quick Googling shows
he seems to be doing well:
http://www.hortweek.com/channel/Arbo...erloaded-work/ )

Here is a link to pages on the Croatian Flora: you may find more useful
links from there.
http://www.botanic.hr/cisb/Edoc/flora/flora.htm

(I have a few little books on the flora, but can't read them myself I'm
afraid: pictures are nice though:-)

Good luck.