Old 21-09-2010, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default worms and lawns

I know the chemicals that you once could use to discourage worm casts
have now been 'struck off' but is there nay other way that you can
deter them?

I have to cut a very large lawn and there's an immense amount of
womcasts on the surface at the moment.
Funnily enough the front lawn which i scarified way back in the spring
has few cats on it but the back looks terrible with splodges of squashed
soil all over it and which are now killing the grass in patches.

Yes i know that worms are good esp3cially the ones in the compost but
just wanted to know if you have found anything that deters them from
the surface of lawns/

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-09-2010, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
The people who live next but one to us have solved problems like this by
covering the garden in concrete and removing the hedge.

Yes, thank you Martin that would probably work - silly me, i hadn't
thought of that

Janet
Old 21-09-2010, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:34:24 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

I know the chemicals that you once could use to discourage worm casts
have now been 'struck off' but is there nay other way that you can
deter them?

I have to cut a very large lawn and there's an immense amount of
womcasts on the surface at the moment.
Funnily enough the front lawn which i scarified way back in the spring
has few cats on it but the back looks terrible with splodges of squashed
soil all over it and which are now killing the grass in patches.

Yes i know that worms are good esp3cially the ones in the compost but
just wanted to know if you have found anything that deters them from
the surface of lawns/

Janet

The worms don't like acid soil, though the lawn will grow happily, so
something that lowers the pH would help. Maybe a lawn treatment using
Vitax Sulphate of Iron or a similar product in the early spring and
then about every 6 weeks. It's soluble so you just water or spray it
on. Probably too late to do anything effective now.

I've also head that getting a mole or two will rapidly reduce the worm
problem. And the resulting molehills are much easier to spot so you
don't end up squashing them all and messing up the surrounding grass
;-))

Jake
Old 21-09-2010, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:43:35 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Martin
writes
The people who live next but one to us have solved problems like this
by covering the garden in concrete and removing the hedge.

Yes, thank you Martin that would probably work - silly me, i hadn't
thought of that

Before the concrete, the garden, which was made by the previous
owners, was beautiful. I don't understand why they didn't buy a large
flat with a balcony if they wanted concrete.

Maybe the price was right.
Now is the time to buy, whatever state the garden is, and alter however you
feel fit.
Not everybody feels the same way we do regarding flower and fauna.
Each to their own eh?
I personally hate "car parks" but there is always one isnt there.

Part_No
Old 21-09-2010, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

On the other hand, I have heard that worm castes are good material for the
compst heap. Or to use to germinate your seeds.
Is this an old wives tale?

Old 21-09-2010, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:07:52 GMT, "Part_No" wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

wrote:

In article , Martin
writes
The people who live next but one to us have solved problems like
this by covering the garden in concrete and removing the hedge.

Yes, thank you Martin that would probably work - silly me, i hadn't
thought of that

Before the concrete, the garden, which was made by the previous
owners, was beautiful. I don't understand why they didn't buy a
large flat with a balcony if they wanted concrete.

Maybe the price was right.
Now is the time to buy,

Hardly, house prices are just below the peak value.

whatever state the garden is, and alter however you
feel fit.
Not everybody feels the same way we do regarding flower and fauna.
Each to their own eh?
I personally hate "car parks" but there is always one isnt there.

The garden/concrete slab isn't accessible to cars.

A flat of the same floor area is about half the price of a house in
this part of Holland. The land is very expensive in Holland.

Sorry I thought that this group was all about gardening in the UK hence the
name of the group.

I know nothing about Holland nor do I want to.

Part_no
Old 21-09-2010, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:25:14 GMT, "Part_No" wrote:

Jake wrote in
:

OP snipped

The worms don't like acid soil, though the lawn will grow happily, so
something that lowers the pH would help. Maybe a lawn treatment using
Vitax Sulphate of Iron or a similar product in the early spring and
then about every 6 weeks. It's soluble so you just water or spray it
on. Probably too late to do anything effective now.

I've also head that getting a mole or two will rapidly reduce the worm
problem. And the resulting molehills are much easier to spot so you
don't end up squashing them all and messing up the surrounding grass
;-))

Jake

On the other hand, I have heard that worm castes are good material for the
compst heap. Or to use to germinate your seeds.
Is this an old wives tale?

I think that this relates to the solid material you get out of a worm
composter when the greedy little things have chomped their way through
your kitchen waste. Casts in lawns are really pretty standard soil,
fine textured when dry but in tiny quantities so easier to just
spread them with a besom (I only use one of those rather than a broom
as I inherited one and found it wouldn't take off for me!). When you
think of it you'd need a lawn looking like the surface of the moon to
produce enough worm cast material to make a difference to the average
compost heap!

Jake
Old 21-09-2010, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
I know the chemicals that you once could use to discourage worm casts
have now been 'struck off' but is there nay other way that you can
deter them?

I have to cut a very large lawn and there's an immense amount of
womcasts on the surface at the moment.
Funnily enough the front lawn which i scarified way back in the spring
has few cats on it but the back looks terrible with splodges of
squashed soil all over it and which are now killing the grass in patches.

Yes i know that worms are good esp3cially the ones in the compost but
just wanted to know if you have found anything that deters them from
the surface of lawns/

Janet

Not a direct answer, but there is a bowling green behind our houses, and
the greenkeeper[1] used to have a long, whippy flexible cane which he
swiped back and forth across the green to remove worm casts. It
scattered them rather than leave blotches where they had been trodden
down. Have you got a whip?

[1] Way back when they had a permanent park keeper.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 21-09-2010, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
Martin wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

You are fairly new on here, aren't you? There are several ex-pats who like
to contribute to the group. I see no problem with that.
Tina

Old 21-09-2010, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:23:21 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
[...]

Are you sure he was removing worm casts?

The green keepers prevent these happening on bowling greens and golf
greens.

He was probably whipping the surface to remove the dew.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 21-09-2010, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:23:21 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
I know the chemicals that you once could use to discourage worm casts
have now been 'struck off' but is there nay other way that you can
deter them?

I have to cut a very large lawn and there's an immense amount of
womcasts on the surface at the moment.
Funnily enough the front lawn which i scarified way back in the spring
has few cats on it but the back looks terrible with splodges of
squashed soil all over it and which are now killing the grass in patches.

few ways to combat this

1.dragbrush the lawn before cutting
2. put down lime to change the ph
3. spray a systemic fungicide at half the dose

Old 21-09-2010, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

I know the chemicals that you once could use to discourage worm casts
have now been 'struck off' but is there nay other way that you can
deter them?

i could loan you a few Badgers ;(
\0

Old 22-09-2010, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , ®óñ© © ²°¹°
writes
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:23:21 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
[...]

That did occur to me just as I posted! :-)
The green now gets the cursory visits from a contracted company,
although it is still in fair condition.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 22-09-2010, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Part_No" wrote in message
Martin wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Whether I am fairly new, newbie new or an old contributer to this group
it does not matter.
The title of this newsgroup is uk.rec.garening .
Ex-pats are EX-PATS, and do not belong here. They gave up their right to
our country and they must live that way in whatever country gave them a
home.
It gets confusing when some ex-pat is giving information reletive to
their adopted country and has no relevence here(in this UK newsgroup).

Part_No
Old 22-09-2010, 03:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part_No View Post

The title of this newsgroup is uk.rec.garening .
Ex-pats are EX-PATS, and do not belong here. They gave up their right to
our country and they must live that way in whatever country gave them a
home.
I think that comment demonstrates that it is *you* that does not belong on this newsgroup

worms and lawns ramblefrog Lawns 1 30-09-2010 09:25 PM
Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
"Army Worms", "Bag Worms", ?? Chrissie Texas 0 22-06-2007 06:13 AM
Peroxide use and Lawns and Gardens NewsGroups Lawns 0 14-02-2004 09:39 PM
Lawns - Mind your own business - and it does [email protected] United Kingdom 2 14-03-2003 08:53 AM