Old 22-09-2010, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default worms and lawns

In message , Part_No
writes

Whether I am fairly new, newbie new or an old contributer to this group
it does not matter.
The title of this newsgroup is uk.rec.garening .

No it isn't, and you're not a contributer, your a contributor.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 22-09-2010, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:43:21 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:
snip

The green now gets the cursory visits from a contracted company,
although it is still in fair condition.

Despite the company being downsized?

Yes, the concertina shape of their vehicles does not seem to affect
their workmanship.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 22-09-2010, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , pied piper
writes
1.dragbrush the lawn before cutting
2. put down lime to change the ph
3. spray a systemic fungicide at half the dose

Hmm have tried the first, the lawn is about 900 sq metres. -

!. I'm assuming dragbrush is just that, drag a brush around behind you
all over the lawn? i don't think that is particularly useful because if
you are dragging a brush the bristles aren't coming down square onto the
womcasts and therefore don't clear them particularly well.

2 We live in a very high pH area in the Chilterns so the lawn is already
very alkaline.

3. that i could do, but as most of the effective stuff has been dragged
off the market and nursery shelves would you recommend anything that is
currently available?

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-09-2010, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:28:22 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , pied piper
writes
1.dragbrush the lawn before cutting
2. put down lime to change the ph
3. spray a systemic fungicide at half the dose

Hmm have tried the first, the lawn is about 900 sq metres. -

!. I'm assuming dragbrush is just that, drag a brush around behind you
all over the lawn? i don't think that is particularly useful because if
you are dragging a brush the bristles aren't coming down square onto the
womcasts and therefore don't clear them particularly well.

2 We live in a very high pH area in the Chilterns so the lawn is already
very alkaline.

3. that i could do, but as most of the effective stuff has been dragged
off the market and nursery shelves would you recommend anything that is
currently available?

Janet

Interesting debate looms - everything I've read says that you should
lower the pH, not raise it, to discourage worms - aiming for a pH of
between 5 and 6. I've got my main lawn area down to that level and
rarely find a worm cast on it.

Earlier this year, another area of lawn survived through the drought
well but browned over the day after it rained and I couldn't work out
why. Having been through everything else I tested the pH and found it
a lot higher. I've been feeding it a lot and it's recovered but gets a
lot of worm activity. So I'll be treating it to reduce the pH in the
spring.

Jake
Old 22-09-2010, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:
You are fairly new on here, aren't you? There are several ex-pats who
like to contribute to the group. I see no problem with that.
Tina

Whether I am fairly new, newbie new or an old contributer to this group
it does not matter.

Ah, but it does matter when you are rude and you are going along a path
where you will find yourself ignored on here if you are not careful.
This is a nice friendly group. Please keep it so.
Tina

Old 23-09-2010, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/22/2010 06:15 PM, Jake wrote:
[]
Interesting debate looms - everything I've read says that you should
lower the pH, not raise it, to discourage worms - aiming for a pH of
between 5 and 6. I've got my main lawn area down to that level and
rarely find a worm cast on it.

Hi Jake,

I've no idea what official wisdom is on the subject, but all of my earth
has a pH below 6 -- near 5 in spots -- and I've always got plenty of
worm cast on the lawn.

The cast is a little unsightly but I figure the lawn is being aerated.
It's voles (and moles of course) that do me in. The cat is getting
older, no longer spends as much time vole hunting, bless her.

-E

Old 23-09-2010, 04:55 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post

The cast is a little unsightly but I figure the lawn is being aerated.
It's voles (and moles of course) that do me in. The cat is getting
older, no longer spends as much time vole hunting, bless her.

-E
Time to get her training her understudy, then :-)
__________________
Old 23-09-2010, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , pied piper
writes
1.dragbrush the lawn before cutting
2. put down lime to change the ph
3. spray a systemic fungicide at half the dose

Hmm have tried the first, the lawn is about 900 sq metres. -

!. I'm assuming dragbrush is just that, drag a brush around behind you all
over the lawn? i don't think that is particularly useful because if you
are dragging a brush the bristles aren't coming down square onto the
womcasts and therefore don't clear them particularly well.

2 We live in a very high pH area in the Chilterns so the lawn is already
very alkaline.

3. that i could do, but as most of the effective stuff has been dragged
off the market and nursery shelves would you recommend anything that is
currently available?

Janet

ask your local greenkeeper drag brush has to be at least 6ft or
alternatively a metal drag mat will have the desired effect a switch(whip)
will also work or a beesom broom I buy my fungicide from trade sports turf
companies not sure if available off the shelf

Old 24-09-2010, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:34:24 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

I know the chemicals that you once could use to discourage worm casts
have now been 'struck off' but is there nay other way that you can
deter them?

I have to cut a very large lawn and there's an immense amount of
womcasts on the surface at the moment.
Funnily enough the front lawn which i scarified way back in the spring
has few cats on it but the back looks terrible with splodges of squashed
soil all over it and which are now killing the grass in patches.

Yes i know that worms are good esp3cially the ones in the compost but
just wanted to know if you have found anything that deters them from
the surface of lawns/

Janet

Blackbirds.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 24-09-2010, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , pied piper
writes
ask your local greenkeeper drag brush has to be at least 6ft or
alternatively a metal drag mat will have the desired effect a
switch(whip) will also work or a beesom broom

Got a broom, worm casts too 'clayey' too brush off easily Would be okay
if they were very dry i guess.

Old 26-09-2010, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I know the chemicals that you once could use to discourage worm casts have
now been 'struck off' but is there nay other way that you can deter them?

I have to cut a very large lawn and there's an immense amount of womcasts
on the surface at the moment.
Funnily enough the front lawn which i scarified way back in the spring has
few cats on it but the back looks terrible with splodges of squashed soil
all over it and which are now killing the grass in patches.

Never step on the worm casts - instead brush them away with a besom.

Bill

worms and lawns ramblefrog Lawns 1 30-09-2010 09:25 PM
Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
"Army Worms", "Bag Worms", ?? Chrissie Texas 0 22-06-2007 06:13 AM
Peroxide use and Lawns and Gardens NewsGroups Lawns 0 14-02-2004 09:39 PM
Lawns - Mind your own business - and it does [email protected] United Kingdom 2 14-03-2003 08:53 AM