Old 23-09-2010, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Current thinking on weeding gravel drives, and best weed sprayer?

Hello all,

I know Pathclear used to be the standard for years but lately seems to
have been watered down somewhat due to restrictions. Whats the
current thinking on the best stuff for gravel drives, and which
current range of weed sprayers do you use with long term success? I
tried silverline and it was very poor, leaked like a sieve. I also
tried Hozelock about 6 mths back and it also leaked badly after a few
sprays. I presume rubbers were failing.

Keen to hear your views on *current* products?

TIA

PS: And cheapest places to buy this stuff would be handy?
Old 23-09-2010, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:29:44 +0100, Apples wrote:

Hello all,

I know Pathclear used to be the standard for years but lately seems to
have been watered down somewhat due to restrictions. Whats the
current thinking on the best stuff for gravel drives, and which
current range of weed sprayers do you use with long term success? I
tried silverline and it was very poor, leaked like a sieve. I also
tried Hozelock about 6 mths back and it also leaked badly after a few
sprays. I presume rubbers were failing.

Keen to hear your views on *current* products?

TIA

PS: And cheapest places to buy this stuff would be handy?

I also think that Pathclear is a bit naff now. I've had better results
with Bayer's Groundclear and Path Weedkiller products which work ok
for me for 4-6 months, depending largely on the weather. I go through
sprayers with regularity because I forget to clean them and they clog
up but the best I've found in recent years was from Lidl though
they'll only sell it as a seasonal product in the summer.

For gravel paths I prefer to use a watering can as more of the
solution will soak throughl than the fine spray which tends to stay
on the surface and evaporate.

I've grown tired of always chasing a cheaper price for stuff and
generally use LBS Garden Warehouse at
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/
because they've been the cheapest source of so much stuff in the past.
For just one item, though, your local garden centre may work out
cheaper. Expect to pay around a fiver for a pack of Groundclear to
treat up to 30 sq metres.

Jake

Looking for classic hand weed sprayer [email protected] Lawns 3 28-05-2008 09:11 PM
Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
Attach weed sprayer to Sprinkler System Steve J Gardening 6 14-04-2003 03:08 PM
Best brand of tank sprayer? Ryan Lawns 0 18-02-2003 03:41 PM