Old 28-09-2010, 09:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

Default my artichokes

are 8 feet

and rising

with a plethora of spikey marble-sized globes on top

deep joy

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 28-09-2010, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

"ImStillMags" wrote in message
On Sep 28, 1:56 pm, "Gill Smith"
wrote:
are 8 feet

and rising

with a plethora of spikey marble-sized globes on top

deep joy

--http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

deep envy..... ;-)

actually, mater is quite dismissive

calls them 'weeds' if you will!

I feel quite little red hennish about it

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 28-09-2010, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

On 9/28/2010 4:09 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Sep 28, 1:56 pm, "Gill
wrote:
are 8 feet

and rising

with a plethora of spikey marble-sized globes on top

deep joy

--http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

deep envy..... ;-)

Ditto. I tried to grow them, but it was not successful. Dr. Oz
mentioned artichokes in one of the top 5 foods that starve cancer. This
article was quite informative (and short).

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/5-foods-starve-cancer

Becca
Old 29-09-2010, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Gill Smith wrote:
are 8 feet

and rising

with a plethora of spikey marble-sized globes on top

deep joy

The globes are flower buds, and you have Jerusalem artichokes, not globe
ones...

When the stems die off, you dig the artichokes up.

(Globe artichokes are like a big thistle, Jerusalem are in the sunflower
family)

Rusty Hinge as I live and breathe.... )) What are you doing in an
American group?))))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 29-09-2010, 05:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:24:02 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

Gill Smith wrote:
are 8 feet

and rising

with a plethora of spikey marble-sized globes on top

deep joy

The globes are flower buds, and you have Jerusalem artichokes, not globe
ones...

When the stems die off, you dig the artichokes up.

(Globe artichokes are like a big thistle, Jerusalem are in the sunflower
family)

Did you see a picture of it over in uk.rec.gardening?

Jerusalem
http://hotdogjam.wordpress.com/2009/...em-artichokes/

Globe
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...a-garden-3.jpg

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Old 29-09-2010, 05:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening
aem aem is offline

wrote:
Gill Smith wrote:
are 8 feet

and rising

with a plethora of spikey marble-sized globes on top

deep joy

The globes are flower buds, and you have Jerusalem artichokes, not globe
ones...

When the stems die off, you dig the artichokes up.

(Globe artichokes are like a big thistle, Jerusalem are in the sunflower
family)

Did you see a picture of it over in uk.rec.gardening?

Jerusalemhttp://hotdogjam.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/jerusalem-artichokes/

Globehttp://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/how-to-design-a-garden-3.jpg

The two plants are unrelated and very different in appearance. Hard
to believe one could mistake which he's growing. -aem
Old 29-09-2010, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:32:34 -0700 (PDT), aem
wrote:

The two plants are unrelated and very different in appearance. Hard
to believe one could mistake which he's growing.

Agreed. I was wondering how Rusty could be so sure by the words only.
I thought the OP was talking about a regular globe artichoke, Rusty
didn't. shrug That's why I supplied pictures. If there was
anything in there as a visual reference, it didn't make the xpost to
rfc.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Old 29-09-2010, 07:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The two plants are unrelated and very different in appearance. *Hard
to believe one could mistake which he's growing. * *

Agreed. *I was wondering how Rusty could be so sure by the words only.
I thought the OP was talking about a regular globe artichoke, Rusty
didn't. *shrug *That's why I supplied pictures. *If there was
anything in there as a visual reference, it didn't make the xpost to
rfc.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Probably by the height. I grow globe artichokes and they get 6 feet
max. Plus it's the wrong time of year if he's in the northern
hemisphere.

Susan B.

Old 29-09-2010, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening sf wrote:
The two plants are unrelated and very different in appearance. Hard
to believe one could mistake which he's growing.

Agreed. I was wondering how Rusty could be so sure by the words only.
I thought the OP was talking about a regular globe artichoke, Rusty
didn't. shrug That's why I supplied pictures. If there was
anything in there as a visual reference, it didn't make the xpost to
rfc.

It's not really the season for globe artichokes, but it is for the manky
artichoke weeds. Well, in the UK, anyhow. Not sure where the original
poster was now.
Old 29-09-2010, 09:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

Gill Smith wrote:
are 8 feet

and rising

with a plethora of spikey marble-sized globes on top

deep joy

The globes are flower buds, and you have Jerusalem artichokes, not globe
ones...

When the stems die off, you dig the artichokes up.

can you leave them in the ground until you use them

I suppose the flowers should be removed as useless ornamentation

even though they look rather attractive

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 29-09-2010, 11:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Gill Smith wrote:
are 8 feet

and rising

with a plethora of spikey marble-sized globes on top

deep joy

The globes are flower buds, and you have Jerusalem artichokes, not
globe ones...

When the stems die off, you dig the artichokes up.

... and make a not untasty soup, or boil them and serve with lots of
butter, and then discover why we call them "fartichokes".

(Globe artichokes are like a big thistle, Jerusalem are in the
sunflower family)

"Girasole" being the probable source of the misname "Jerusalem". Why
"artichoke", though, I don't know...Ah: the dictionary says they
"somewhat resemble the globe artichoke in flavour". I'll accept the
derivation, but deny the resemblance.

--
Mike.

Old 30-09-2010, 10:22 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Smith View Post

can you leave them in the ground until you use them

I suppose the flowers should be removed as useless ornamentation

even though they look rather attractive
You can leave them in the ground until you use them. They are not so much troubles by slugs as potatoes are.

They don't flower well in this country, and they'll probably be frosted before hey try to set seed. There's so much leaf mass compared with the flower that it won't affect tuber formation noticeably. (Or, to put it another way, given their digestive properties,, you probably won't feel you have a shortage of them).
__________________
Old 30-09-2010, 03:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
are 8 feet

and rising

with a plethora of spikey marble-sized globes on top

deep joy

--http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

deep envy..... ;-)

Ditto. I tried to grow them, but it was not successful. Dr. Oz
mentioned artichokes in one of the top 5 foods that starve cancer. This
article was quite informative (and short).

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/5-foods-starve-cancer

Becca

These will be Globes not Jerusalems.

mark

Artichokes? Jan Flora Gardening 2 22-03-2003 10:56 PM
Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes? Mike Davis Edible Gardening 7 13-03-2003 02:20 PM
Jerusalem Artichokes THECHILLIS United Kingdom 4 08-03-2003 09:27 PM
jerusalem artichokes Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 6 22-02-2003 10:39 PM
Artichokes - What's in a name Dave Hunt United Kingdom 8 21-10-2002 09:38 PM