Old 29-09-2010, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frogs

During a conversation about the weather in work, I happened to mention that
when it rains, one of my cats has a habit of bringing frogs in, which then
take refuge in their water dish. Someone remarked that they didn't like
frogs because her Grandfather would stick his fork through them if he found
them in his greenhouse. I said what a shame, think of all the good they
could do [thinking of them eating unwanted bugs]. The general opinion was
that you *don't* want frogs in your greenhouse, but no one knew why.

So, why not?

--
Kathy

Old 30-09-2010, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote
During a conversation about the weather in work, I happened to mention
that when it rains, one of my cats has a habit of bringing frogs in, which
then take refuge in their water dish. Someone remarked that they didn't
like frogs because her Grandfather would stick his fork through them if he
found them in his greenhouse. I said what a shame, think of all the good
they could do [thinking of them eating unwanted bugs]. The general
opinion was that you *don't* want frogs in your greenhouse, but no one
knew why.

So, why not?

Well, whilst frogs are not as common as they used to be around here, I've
seen some dead ones with Red Leg ( Aeromonas infection) when I find a toad I
usually put them in my greenhouse.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-09-2010, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Sep, 23:47, "Kathy McIntosh" wrote:
During a conversation about the weather in work, I happened to mention that
when it rains, one of my cats has a habit of bringing frogs in, which then
take refuge in their water dish. *Someone remarked that they didn't like
frogs because her Grandfather would stick his fork through them if he found
them in his greenhouse. *I said what a shame, think of all the good they
could do [thinking of them eating unwanted bugs]. *The general opinion was
that you *don't* want frogs in your greenhouse, but no one knew why.

So, why not?

--
Kathy

One can only conclude that your grandad was a nasty ignorant man.
Old 30-09-2010, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Kathy McIntosh wrote:

During a conversation about the weather in work, I happened to mention
that when it rains, one of my cats has a habit of bringing frogs in,
which then take refuge in their water dish. Someone remarked that they
didn't like frogs because her Grandfather would stick his fork through
them if he found them in his greenhouse.

All too often I've found myself sticking a fork through toads that
conceal themselves in the ground, or even rotovating them. They just do
not jump out of the way, do they?

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 30-09-2010, 10:17 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post

One can only conclude that your grandad was a nasty ignorant man.
One can only conclude that you didn't read the post carefully enough.

Kathy didn't mention her grandad.

Most people are capable of nasty things; if you write off everyone as ""nasty"" who does something which is nasty, there are not many people left.
__________________

Old 30-09-2010, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/09/2010 23:47, Kathy McIntosh wrote:
During a conversation about the weather in work, I happened to mention
that when it rains, one of my cats has a habit of bringing frogs in,
which then take refuge in their water dish. Someone remarked that
they didn't like frogs because her Grandfather would stick his fork
through them if he found them in his greenhouse. I said what a shame,
think of all the good they could do [thinking of them eating unwanted
bugs]. The general opinion was that you *don't* want frogs in your
greenhouse, but no one knew why.

So, why not?

I have a green greenhouse (don't use any chemicals) which has had a
colony of frogs living inside for about 15 years.
Water sumps down 2 sides which I use for wick watering of the grow bags
provides a place to spawn, doors are left open during the summer but
they prefer to stay there so must be plenty of food.
Did have a problem with greenfly early on this year but when last years
surplus of ladybirds woke up in the spring lots where despatched to the
green house which seemed to solve the problem.
Between the frogs and ladybirds everything seems under control mind you
there does seem to be an excess of spiders at the moment, I always come
out with a few on me after walking into there webs

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"

Old 30-09-2010, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On 29 Sep, 23:47, "Kathy McIntosh" wrote:
During a conversation about the weather in work, I happened to mention
that
when it rains, one of my cats has a habit of bringing frogs in, which then
take refuge in their water dish. Someone remarked that they didn't like
frogs because her Grandfather would stick his fork through them if he
found
them in his greenhouse. I said what a shame, think of all the good they
could do [thinking of them eating unwanted bugs]. The general opinion was
that you *don't* want frogs in your greenhouse, but no one knew why.

So, why not?

--
Kathy

One can only conclude that your grandad was a nasty ignorant man.

One can only conclude that you can't read adequately to access this
newsgroup successfully.
Read my post again, decode it correctly, then you can apologize for that
comment.

Old 30-09-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-09-30 08:43:54 +0100, harry said:

[...]

It was not Kathy's grandfather who was at fault. Speaking of 'nasty and
ignorant'........

It's ok Sacha, and thanks. I've already replied to him. He obviously jumps
in with both feet without reading posts correctly. A bit like some people
in one of the other groups we both visit :-}

--
Kathy

Old 01-10-2010, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Oh, I'm just tiptoeing through the tulips......! ;-)

........ with me ?

A happy October to all my readers (:-)
Regards
Pete

Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2010-09-30 08:43:54 +0100, harry said:

[...]

In your wellies ;-)))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Sep, 16:43, "Kathy McIntosh" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

[...]

I remarked that the grandfather was a nasty ignorant man. I see no
reason to change this view. It would be my view about anyone that
deliberately stuck a fork in a frog or any other creature.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message

[...]

I concur, largely. I make an exception for slugs.

Steve

Old 01-10-2010, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message

[...]

That's all very well, but it was not *my* grandfather.

--
Kathy

Old 01-10-2010, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message

[...]

Harry there is a lot of difference between the words "the" and "your".

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would certainly agree that
someone who kills any creature out of some sort of spite falls into
the nasty category.

However please could you explain, in simple terms, how you are able to
conclude that Kathy's grandfather is nasty and ignorant (your original
reply used the word "your") on the basis of her report about the
behaviour of an entirely different grandfather.

If you can't explain, perhaps you would now have the simple good grace
to apologise to her for the insult, however inadvertent that might
have been.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message

[...]

have been.- Hide quoted text -

Well if he's not her grandad I'm sorry to her. But the grandad is an
evil *******. Whoever he belongs to. I don't see the reason for
bringing the topic up anyway. unless to gain some strange notoriety or
to grab attention.

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM