Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Feeding the brids

Hi, I have a birdtable that isn't attracting any birds

I have mixed seed in a small pot on the tabletop - would it be better to
sprinkle the seed directly on the table?

Thanks for any advice!

~ S ~
Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Shelagh" wrote in message
Hi, I have a birdtable that isn't attracting any birds

I have mixed seed in a small pot on the tabletop - would it be better to
sprinkle the seed directly on the table?

What birds are you seing in the neighbourhood, and are there trees nearby
that the birds are likely to be nesting in?

The matter of whether the seed is in a pot or on the table won't make much
difference to the birds. If you've only just started feeding them, be
patient, it can take birds a while to adopt your feeder.

And are you absolutely sure they're not coming? they can be very wary, and
also feed early in the mornings, when you may or may not be there to see
them.

I would put out some seed in a way that will enable you to check whether any
(or much) has gone. Also I would put some in various types of feeder to give
them plenty of choice. Also site the feeder(s) near trees or shrubs where
the birds can retreat to hide in case predators or people turn up.

HTH
Steve

Old 08-10-2010, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Shelagh
wrote
Hi, I have a birdtable that isn't attracting any birds

I have mixed seed in a small pot on the tabletop - would it be better to
sprinkle the seed directly on the table?

Thanks for any advice!

Wrong time a year when other food is plentiful?
A garden full of the neighbourhood cats

--
Alan
Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Shelagh" wrote in message
Hi, I have a birdtable that isn't attracting any birds

I have mixed seed in a small pot on the tabletop - would it be better to
sprinkle the seed directly on the table?

Thanks for any advice!

Yes, it probably would but if you have not fed them regularly up until now
it will take a while for them to notice it
Persevere and they will come.
Tina

..

Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 18:05:51 +0000 (UTC), Shelagh
wrote:

Hi, I have a birdtable that isn't attracting any birds

I have mixed seed in a small pot on the tabletop - would it be better to
sprinkle the seed directly on the table?

Thanks for any advice!

~ S ~

Birds are funny creatures. Almost all through the year I have loads of
different birds feeding in the garden from a variety of sources. I
have a variety of seeds on a table, plus peanuts (which a local
woodpecker seems particularly interested in), nyger seed, sunflower
hearts and fat balls in hanging feeders (please don't put peanuts in
the open on a bird table, always in a peanut feeder, and don't buy any
old "bird" peanuts from some corner shop - make sure they're bird-safe
from a reputable brand). So variety matters if you want to attract a
range of birds.

I find the most popular feeders are those hanging amongst a thorny
pyracantha - the thorns don't faze the birds but do deter the local
cat population. My bird table used to be rarely visited as whilst it
was under a tree it was near a flower border in which the cats could
hide. It's now under a tree in the middle of a lawn area and is much
more popular. So location matters.

And cleanliness matters too.The hanging feeders empty quickly but I
always remove any uneaten stuff from the table on a weekly basis,
clean it and put new seed on it.

But the funny bit is that once every year, when the RSPB hold their
birdwatch weekend, I can sit for hours and hardly see anything with
feathers.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

I'd get a few of those fat balls you can get from a variety of places,
they stay fresh for some time and will give the birds time to find
them.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Feeding the birds

"Dave Hill" wrote
Jake wrote:
Shelagh wrote:

[...]

Trouble is when I put out 4 new fat balls on Monday they were all gone by
Tuesday morning, not one bird did I see eating them, just one big fat
Squirrel. Which may also explain why my Bird Feeding metal tree was pulled
over on Wednesday.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-10-2010, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2010 23:02, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote
Jake wrote:
Shelagh wrote:

[...]

After a break over the summer I recharged my bird feeders yesterday. No
birds yet, but a squirrel has had an unsuccessful go!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Trouble is when I put out 4 new fat balls on Monday they were all gone by
Tuesday morning, not one bird did I see eating them, just one big fat
Squirrel. Which may also explain why my Bird Feeding metal tree was pulled
over on Wednesday.
--

I had squirrels but they seem to be gone (I don't mind that too much) but
along with the lack of collared doves which I had in mega quantities I am

Old 10-10-2010, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Oct, 19:05, Shelagh wrote:
Hi, I have a birdtable that isn't attracting any birds

I have mixed seed in a small pot on the tabletop - would it be better to
sprinkle the seed directly on the table?

Thanks for any advice!

~ S ~

Birds like somewhere close to the bird table to skulk. A dense
evergreen bush is ideal. They lurk in there an then make dashes out to
grab something from the table.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Roger Tonkin writes

Where do people get their feed from. I try and support our loacal
pet/garden shop, buying large sacks of peanuts and seed, but I'm unhappy
with the seed as it seems to contain a lot of small black seeds which
the birds do not touch. I believe this is white turnip seed, as I've had
turnips appearing all over the garden this year!

I'd really like to buy sacks (ie in bulk), but wonder if it is cost
effective and good value, given the possible weight and delivery
charges.
Thanks
Roger T

It might not help you much unless you live near Hyde, Cheshire g, but
I found a little back street place which caters for pigeon enthusiasts.
She sells "hulled" Sunflower seed (hearts) for £1.60 /kg.
It's good quality, and with a rapid throughput each week, always fresh.

I sometimes buy a 50lb sack for £33 which cuts it down to about
£1.45/kg.

I know I could get it cheaper online, but I find it handy to pick up
small quantities when passing the place...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 10-10-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:26:45 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

In article 67be04f6-4136-49ab-b41c-48f0c5367332
, says...
Birds like somewhere close to the bird table to skulk. A dense
evergreen bush is ideal. They lurk in there an then make dashes out to
grab something from the table.

They also hide in there from our local Sparrow Hawk, who seems to be
getting quite brazen, sitting on the trellis and 15 ft from the house
and 5 foot from the bird feeder!

Can I post an additional question about feeding birds:

Where do people get their feed from. I try and support our loacal
pet/garden shop, buying large sacks of peanuts and seed, but I'm unhappy
with the seed as it seems to contain a lot of small black seeds which
the birds do not touch. I believe this is white turnip seed, as I've had
turnips appearing all over the garden this year!

I'd really like to buy sacks (ie in bulk), but wonder if it is cost
effective and good value, given the possible weight and delivery
charges.

Thanks

Roger T

I have found a local store that sells the RSPB logo'd stuff - they get
it from the RSBP suppliers and sell it on at cost which is easier for
me than another online order and delivery when I'm not at home.

Homebase now seem to be selling the RSPB "logo'd" range as well.

Remember that all peanuts are not the same - some cheap bags may
contain a virus which can kill some birds. It's kinder not to put
peanuts out at all unless you're prepared to pay for "bird-safe
certified" stuff.

Ordering from the RSPB website may not benefit a local shop but at
least it benefits the RSPB. As long as you're around when the order
arrives.

Incidentally I buy the "no waste" mixed feed (as well as others).
Costs a bit more but less waste chucked off the table onto the lawn by
the birds (who are pernikity eaters!)
Old 11-10-2010, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 18:22:01 +0100, Jake wrote:

Incidentally I buy the "no waste" mixed feed (as well as others).
Costs a bit more but less waste chucked off the table onto the lawn by
the birds (who are pernikity eaters!)

Tits chuck food off the table that other birds eat.

Collared doves, chaffinches?
I tried the "no mess" feed, but didn't find it any different in terms of
what was left behind.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 11-10-2010, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article ,
says...

Collared doves, chaffinches?

Our collared doves and chaffinches are up there on the table tossing
seed to the ground to pick over later; I reckon they've worked out that
once it's on the ground , tits won't compete.

I tried the "no mess" feed, but didn't find it any different in terms of
what was left behind.

AIUI "No mess" usually refers to seed that is all-edible and has been
husked, so nothing is wasted.

I thought it referred to no seeds dropping and germinating in the soil.

If you feed entire sunflower seeds the bird will de-husk them and
discard the skins (that's about half the weight of the seed you bought
priced per pound) and nothing eats the husks.

Janet

I use "hulled" sunflower seed, (sunflower hearts?), but somehow the
goldfinches manage to leave husks behind on a tray feeder.

The tits are more tidy, because they pick off a seed and fly to a bush
or tree to munch each one. :-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Hedge bottom plants for brids & insects Falesh United Kingdom 0 21-04-2007 01:15 PM
Bird fair on the run (Where IS the RSPB, highly selective in the brids they protect.?) Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 0 26-06-2004 11:53 AM
Bird fair on the run (Where IS the RSPB, highly selective in the brids they protect.?) Douglas United Kingdom 49 26-06-2004 11:52 AM
When to start feeding? Bob Ponds 18 18-03-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM