Old 16-10-2010, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lets have a few harvest discussions

"Sacha" wrote
said:
Baz wrote:
BTW I think scab on the potatoes is mandatory this year. Unless they
have
had the hose on them.Is scab due to underwatering?

I haven't noticed any more scab than normal this year, if anything it's a
bit down. You just need to get more scab-resistant spuds!

I thought too much lime in the soil caused scab?

I meant Canker of course.

Yes, I've heard that too but our soil is naturally about pH6 or lower (we
grow blueberries on the plot) so although we do use lime for our brassicas
it's 4 years since that plot got lime because of the rotation. Not all
varieties got scab though, Orla didn't at all neither did Mayan Twilight.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-10-2010, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:26:59 GMT, Baz wrote:

David in Normandy wrote in news:4cb8b814$0
:

On 15/10/2010 19:52, Judith in France wrote:

I've been here, I think, 14 years and I don't think I have ever
seen anyone complain about anyone's spelling, so there!

I have a glut of Tomatoes, many different varities. I have made
chutney and pickle but I still have enough to feed the 5,000. Next
year I will plant less.

That should be spelled "varieties" ;-)

(Only teasing)

Noted, but you know, some of us just do not know how to spell.

Don't admit to that or you'll end up being Vice President of the USA!

A former work colleague always used to go on about her wonderful
rhododendiums and her antirhinoceroses. I simply can never remember
the names of half the plants I have in the garden, which makes things
very difficult at this time of the year as I can never remember what
to prune and what not to prune and until I can remember what something
is called I can't look it up in a book.

The other 'alf caused quite a stir in the local last week by
announcing that we had loads of crabs this year. But I can't remember
what the crab apple variety is and whether it's possible to use the
fruits to make something or not.

I must be going sterile or something. Or is that "scenic"? I can't
remember.
Old 16-10-2010, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote in
:

LOL, we are all pickle fiends. We had a glut of French beans which I
don't like frozen or bottled so a lot went to waste, courgettes and
squash, courtesy of Nick McLaren here, I made some interesting soups
and picked the courgette very small which I grated in salads. Far too
much fruit, redcurrant, blackcurrants, I made some jelly with it but
left most on the bushes, as we eat lettuce every day, a huge mound of
it, we did have a huge amount growing but we kept pace with it.
Beetroot, too much, cabbage too much. Now we are starting to eat,
Jerusalem Artichokes. I don't know if the melons are ready to eat yet
but we have a few that look ready. We kept up with the cucumber but
the Aubergine were a disappointment as were some odd pea plant (ridged
pod).

Now we have enough mushrooms to feed a small town, we have land
opposite the house which is uncultivated and there are 3 types of
mushroom growing there, Chantrelle, Field Mushrooms (Rose) and a thing
that looks like an inky cap. I'm going to take the dog for a walk in
a few minutes across the field and I have to tell myself to stand back
from the mushrooms, enough is enough!

Hi Judith,
Good year then! Well done you!

My gran used to bottle french beans and they were so nice and sweet, we
used to spoon them straight out of the jar when we were kids. Dont know how
she did them, she is not with us now but Mam and Dad think she cooked them
for a short time and then put them in jars with a light sugar solution.
Bit pointless telling you this as we cant get it right. I think its
probably childhood memories that will never come back.

How do you grow your mushrooms? From a kit?
The price of kits puts us off buying them.
The nearest I ever got with Google is that you buy some mushrooms (grown
locally), peel them and use the peel in peat in a dark place but it didnt
work, surprise surprise.

2 things I want to grow and have always failed are mushrooms and celery, so
can you advise me on mushrooms pretty please?

Baz