Old 31-10-2010, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default garden shredder: Bosch AXT 25TC

Since the subject of garden shredders has been current on the group, I
thought it would be worth a quick review of this new offer from Bosch.

I bought the Bosch on recommendation from folks here, it seems a good
value compared to the petrol ones and the construction appears very solid.

The 23TC and 25TC use a "new" system where the cutting-mulching happens
via a conic cutting turbine. It is purported to be a "3 in 1", mulching
leaves, branchlets and large (up to 45 mm for the 25TC) hard branches.

The yield is purported to be 230 kg/h -- obviously unattainable unless
there were another machine feeding it -- but it does process long
branches at a remarkable rate. We were feeding it 3 meter laurel
branches which it swallowed with such alarming zeal that my children
nicknamed it "The Orthodontist" (apparently a terrifying fellow). These
came out the bottom nicely chopped up, even the leaves, and ready for mulch.

My son cleared a huge amount of brambles which took several hours to put
through but were reduced in size to perhaps 100 liters of waste. (I'm
afraid to use this as mulch as I suspect some of the bits might root
themselves.)

Where it does less well is heavy wet leaves and springy branchlets. The
boy also cleared some lime tree bases of suckers, all still with large
leaves. These were quite slow to put through and sometimes the result
wasn't perfect, with quite long pieces making it through and the leaves
having a tendency to get stuck in the rotor. There were no clogs that a
bit of reverse couldn't clear, but it did take a long time.

The thing is also quite quiet, which is nice as I expected an enormous
racket.

Anyway I'd certainly recommend this machine for anyone who has a lot of
branchy garden waste to process.

-E

Old 31-10-2010, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emery Davis
wrote
Where it does less well is heavy wet leaves and springy branchlets. The
boy also cleared some lime tree bases of suckers, all still with large
leaves. These were quite slow to put through and sometimes the result
wasn't perfect, with quite long pieces making it through and the leaves
having a tendency to get stuck in the rotor. There were no clogs that a
bit of reverse couldn't clear, but it did take a long time.

The trick here is to save the bits that do go through easily and when
you have a difficult load that is sticking feed one of these easy to
feed bits through. This will drag the problem load through with it.

--
Alan
Old 31-10-2010, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/31/2010 01:00 PM, Alan wrote:
In message , Emery Davis
wrote
Where it does less well is heavy wet leaves and springy branchlets. The
boy also cleared some lime tree bases of suckers, all still with large
leaves. These were quite slow to put through and sometimes the result
wasn't perfect, with quite long pieces making it through and the leaves
having a tendency to get stuck in the rotor. There were no clogs that a
bit of reverse couldn't clear, but it did take a long time.

The trick here is to save the bits that do go through easily and when
you have a difficult load that is sticking feed one of these easy to
feed bits through. This will drag the problem load through with it.

Thanks for the tip. Worked it quite a bit more today, and actually did
manage to jam it with a large, dry cotoneaster branch. Still did work a
trick by and large.

-E
Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
[...]

My shredder is very difficult about doing branches with lots of fresh leaves
on/ it likes to do a broom handle with dead leaves and then it is perfect..
Tina

Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 20:28:06 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

My shredder is very difficult about doing branches with lots of fresh
leaves
on/ it likes to do a broom handle with dead leaves and then it is
perfect..
Tina

Bad for witches?
--