Old 09-11-2010, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Somewhat OT ... regards chestnuts

"Unca Bob" wrote in message

What, ... posting children to people?? :-P

Investigators are on their way as we speak....

Postal depots are overrun with undeliverable children whose parents
didn't put enough stamps on.

Janet

ROTFL.

Unca Bob

One of my daughters 'loves' children, but as she says, 'she could never eat
a whole one'

Aren't Grandchildren wonderful things? You can hand them back at the end of
the day ;-))

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2010 17:30, 'Mike' wrote:
"Unca wrote in message

What, ... posting children to people?? :-P

Investigators are on their way as we speak....

Postal depots are overrun with undeliverable children whose parents
didn't put enough stamps on.

Janet

ROTFL.

Unca Bob

One of my daughters 'loves' children, but as she says, 'she could never eat
a whole one'

Aren't Grandchildren wonderful things? You can hand them back at the end of
the day ;-))

Mike

Who would want to?

Not me.

Unca Bob
Old 09-11-2010, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Unca Bob" wrote in message
On 09/11/2010 17:30, 'Mike' wrote:
"Unca wrote in message

What, ... posting children to people?? :-P

Investigators are on their way as we speak....

Postal depots are overrun with undeliverable children whose parents
didn't put enough stamps on.

Janet

ROTFL.

Unca Bob

One of my daughters 'loves' children, but as she says, 'she could never
eat
a whole one'

Aren't Grandchildren wonderful things? You can hand them back at the end
of
the day ;-))

Mike

Who would want to?

Not me.

Unca Bob

Wot? Eat a whole one or hand them back ????? ;-}

(I would have pruned the previous postings, but 'the powers to be' of this
newsgroup like long threads and emailable messages made public)

Old 09-11-2010, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-11-09 18:20:43 +0000, "'Mike'" said:

"Unca Bob" wrote in message
On 09/11/2010 17:30, 'Mike' wrote:
"Unca wrote in message

[...]

YOU are encouraging, contributing to and obviously enjoying, an off-topic
thread drift which is something that happens in all groups. But having
joined in with it gleefully, you've now hijacked it for one of your aged
hobbyhorses. Talk about biding your time.... GO, as you said you would,
you hypocrite. Email those who will entrust you with their real
addresses and tell them about your grand children, if you have any.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sascha once again you say the most wonderful things don't you?

xxxxxxxxxxxx

As I said before and as I noted by your example, I didn't prune the thread
:-))

Let's see how long it gets, and let's add a few email messages into it as
well :-))

Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
kay wrote:
I hardly ever see a small child in my house. 8-)-

Where do you live - I'll post you some!

It seems to be the latest "silly season" story - it was all over one of
the Sunday tabloids, but I was too far away to read any more than the
headline.

What, ... posting children to people?? :-P

How else could you get rid of them?

Alan

Old 09-11-2010, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Unca Bob" wrote in message
On 09/11/2010 17:30, 'Mike' wrote:
"Unca wrote in message

What, ... posting children to people?? :-P

Investigators are on their way as we speak....

Postal depots are overrun with undeliverable children whose parents
didn't put enough stamps on.

Janet

ROTFL.

Unca Bob

One of my daughters 'loves' children, but as she says, 'she could never
eat
a whole one'

I feel the same about dogs, but I suppose it would be possible to put it in
the freezer!

Alan

Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
What, ... posting children to people?? :-P

Investigators are on their way as we speak....

Postal depots are overrun with undeliverable children whose parents
didn't put enough stamps on.

It's not the weight of them that's the problem, it's trying to get them
through that little letter-sizing slot!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

wrote in message
kay wrote:
I hardly ever see a small child in my house. 8-)-

Where do you live - I'll post you some!

It seems to be the latest "silly season" story - it was all over one of
the Sunday tabloids, but I was too far away to read any more than the
headline.

What, ... posting children to people?? :-P

How else could you get rid of them?

Alan

Don't know about getting rid of them, but most Motorway Service areas and
large shops/supermarkets have 'Baby changing facilities' if you don't like
the one you've got. At least that's what it says on the door, never been in
there ;-)

Got a Grandson who signs on for the Royal Marines tomorrow, wouldn't want to
change him ;-}

Mike

Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2010 23:02, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Spider" wrote ...

Talking to friends recently, I was told that they keep "old chestnuts"
(horse chestnuts, that is) in the four corners of each room in order to
deter spiders. It is supposed to be an old remedy. I have never heard
of this before and can't imagine what can be in chestnuts which so
offends spiders.

Can anyone shed any light on this? My friends didn't seem to know how
it worked, but seemed to think that it did. Don't get me wrong: I still
love spiders, but there are places where I'd rather they didn't set up
home!

It's supposed to do with a gas/smell they give off, it also is supposed
to have an effect on moth so some put them in their wardrobes too. They
do contain saponin, a natural soap, so maybe it's true but if so why do
the trees suffer with leaf miner moth.
I've never seen any scientific proof either way.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

That's interesting, Bob. I shall have a go with chestnuts, just to see.
But, no, I don't understand why chestnut trees suffer with miner
moths. Similarly, I always get greenfly in my chives, even though the
onion family is supposed to deter them. Wierd.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-11-08 18:32:36 +0000, Spider said:

Talking to friends recently, I was told that they keep "old chestnuts"
(horse chestnuts, that is) in the four corners of each room in order
to deter spiders. It is supposed to be an old remedy. I have never
heard of this before and can't imagine what can be in chestnuts which
so offends spiders.

Can anyone shed any light on this? My friends didn't seem to know how
it worked, but seemed to think that it did. Don't get me wrong: I
still love spiders, but there are places where I'd rather they didn't
set up home!

It's one of those stories/myths/old wives' tales and who knows? Some
people swear by it, others swear at it as they slip on the conkers and
break their limbs. Others have said that they've done scientific tests
and found that having built two bridges, one of wood, one of conkers,
the spiders chose the conker one. Go figure!

You could be right, Sacha, but I may try it out anyway. No doubt if it
did work, you'd be one of the first people to use it. As to the bridge
puzzle, it may simply be a case of the lesser evil. Spiders may *just*
be able to tolerate conkers but, if the wood in the bridge was treated
with something noxious and the scientists forced them to use one bridge
or the other, the natural conker bridge would undoubtedly win.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-11-08 18:32:36 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

There'd be conkers all over the house if I thought it did work! Recently
(maybe last Sunday) I read an article about someone who had the aversion
therapy for arachnophobia and found herself stroking a tarantula's leg
at the end of the first session. One woman sat in tears through the
opening phase of the course but conquered her fear by the end of it
while only one (IIRC) failed completely.

There's no doubt that the therapy works if you're prepared to try it.
When you have a serious problem, it can completely transform your life.
The trouble is, so many feel that they "can cope if they have to",
that they don't give therapy a chance. Perhaps it's the therapy that
*really* scares them? Pity, if so.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-11-08 18:32:36 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

I think I'm just scared it wouldn't work and I'd be stuck in a room with
spiders and still frightened. Part of this therapy was hypnotherapy and
I've had that for fear of flying and for smoking, so I do know that
works, though I don't think one should expect miracles! I have
absolutely no desire to smoke again and I have flown all over the place
since the treatment BUT I can still get a bit antsy on bumpy flights and
swaying about in the breeze landings, such as we had, ooooooh, a mere 4
times last week! I had my nails sunk into Ray's knee on one flight and
he was doing his "I'm not with her" impression.

Oh, I'm sure he wouldn't disown you!:~) I do understand what you're
saying, though. In fact, when my nerves are really frazzled (by
something other than spiders) and I'm exhausted, then I can still baulk
at spiders and their webs. However, because I went through a course of
psychological therapy and was able to discuss post-therapy problems, I
can examine these occasional lapses and recognise them for what they
are. You've even mentioned it: the fear of the fear. I *know* I can
live with spiders and experience the fear of spiders (or the memory of
that fear) .. and come out the other side. It's a very strengthening
realisation. I wish I could be as together about other things in my life.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:20 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post

There's no doubt that the therapy works if you're prepared to try it.
When you have a serious problem, it can completely transform your life.
The trouble is, so many feel that they "can cope if they have to",
that they don't give therapy a chance. Perhaps it's the therapy that
*really* scares them? Pity, if so.
I think the explanation is much simpler. I have a phobia that doesn't adversely affect my life. It is inconceivable to me that I would ever *like* the object of my phobia. It's not the therapy per se that puts me off, it's the knowledge that during the course of it I would need to get nearer the object of my therapy. Why on earth would I want to do that?