Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Somewhat OT ... regards chestnuts

Talking to friends recently, I was told that they keep "old chestnuts"
(horse chestnuts, that is) in the four corners of each room in order to
deter spiders. It is supposed to be an old remedy. I have never heard
of this before and can't imagine what can be in chestnuts which so
offends spiders.

Can anyone shed any light on this? My friends didn't seem to know how
it worked, but seemed to think that it did. Don't get me wrong: I still
love spiders, but there are places where I'd rather they didn't set up home!
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 08-11-2010, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
Talking to friends recently, I was told that they keep "old chestnuts"
(horse chestnuts, that is) in the four corners of each room in order to
deter spiders. It is supposed to be an old remedy. I have never heard of
this before and can't imagine what can be in chestnuts which so offends
spiders.

Can anyone shed any light on this? My friends didn't seem to know how it
worked, but seemed to think that it did. Don't get me wrong: I still love
spiders, but there are places where I'd rather they didn't set up home!
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

My daughter and son in law have Horse Chestnuts in most rooms of their house
for the same reason ............................... and it works. They have
plenty of Horse Chestnut trees in their grounds so are never short of them
:-))

Give it a try :-)

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
Can anyone shed any light on this? My friends didn't seem to know how it
worked, but seemed to think that it did. Don't get me wrong: I still love
spiders, but there are places where I'd rather they didn't set up home!

My daughter and son in law have Horse Chestnuts in most rooms of their house
for the same reason ............................... and it works.

See, we have horse chestnuts all over the house, but it's nothing to do with
the spiders and all to do with the small children. Unfortunaetly it doesn't
seem to deter them.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
Can anyone shed any light on this? My friends didn't seem to know how
it
worked, but seemed to think that it did. Don't get me wrong: I still
love
spiders, but there are places where I'd rather they didn't set up home!

My daughter and son in law have Horse Chestnuts in most rooms of their
house
for the same reason ............................... and it works.

See, we have horse chestnuts all over the house, but it's nothing to do
with
the spiders and all to do with the small children. Unfortunaetly it
doesn't
seem to deter them.

What? Small children? Too late now ;-} Aspirin held firmly between the knees
;-0

Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2010 18:36, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Mike. I'll have to go on a conker hunt then

Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote ...

Talking to friends recently, I was told that they keep "old chestnuts"
(horse chestnuts, that is) in the four corners of each room in order to
deter spiders. It is supposed to be an old remedy. I have never heard
of this before and can't imagine what can be in chestnuts which so
offends spiders.

Can anyone shed any light on this? My friends didn't seem to know how
it worked, but seemed to think that it did. Don't get me wrong: I still
love spiders, but there are places where I'd rather they didn't set up home!

It's supposed to do with a gas/smell they give off, it also is supposed to
have an effect on moth so some put them in their wardrobes too. They do
contain saponin, a natural soap, so maybe it's true but if so why do the
trees suffer with leaf miner moth.
I've never seen any scientific proof either way.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 09-11-2010, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gordon H wrote:
See, we have horse chestnuts all over the house, but it's nothing to do with
the spiders and all to do with the small children. Unfortunaetly it doesn't
seem to deter them.

I have a few horse chestnuts in a bowl on the sideboard, and it works, -
I hardly ever see a small child in my house. 8-)

Where do you live - I'll post you some!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

It seems to be the latest "silly season" story - it was all over one of the Sunday tabloids, but I was too far away to read any more than the headline.
__________________

Old 09-11-2010, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

kay wrote:
I hardly ever see a small child in my house. 8-)-

Where do you live - I'll post you some!

It seems to be the latest "silly season" story - it was all over one of
the Sunday tabloids, but I was too far away to read any more than the
headline.

What, ... posting children to people?? :-P
Old 09-11-2010, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What, ... posting children to people?? :-P

Investigators are on their way as we speak....

Postal depots are overrun with undeliverable children whose parents
didn't put enough stamps on.

Janet

ROTFL.

Unca Bob