Old 13-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered User

Smile Advice needed-in regards to sewing my garden.

Hi all,

Ok where to start...my garden has never been sewed before and basically i want to know whats the best process to sew the garden which will give the best results. The garden needs rotivated(thats a definite), i then read somewhere that i should rake it level,lift out all the big stones etc, then compress it somehow(using a roller probably), then i should rake it again and then spread the seeds out? Would this be the best way?

Also the area of the garden closest to the house tends to be ALOT more waterlogged compared to the rest of the garden(which is generally good). I read somewhere that rotivating it may help the drainage in the area? I also read adding sand to it may help? Is there any turth in either of these statements? or can anybody advise me differently?

Also when is the soonest i can begin this process and when is the soonest i can actually sew the garden so that the seeds take best?

Ive been in the house a couple of years now and want it sorted for the summer, I can't afford to get somebody into do it, therefore its up to me to complete it. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!!
Old 13-01-2012, 11:19 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead90 View Post
Hi all,

Ok where to start..
You haven't actually told us what sort of seeds you want to sow ;-)

Are you after covering the whole garden with a lawn? Or do you want to sow flowers or vegetables? Or is your main aim to get it looking tidy and needing as little maintenance as possible?
__________________
Old 13-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
You haven't actually told us what sort of seeds you want to sow ;-)

Are you after covering the whole garden with a lawn? Or do you want to sow flowers or vegetables? Or is your main aim to get it looking tidy and needing as little maintenance as possible?
Oh sorry. Yeah i want to cover the whole area in a lawn, grass i guess. no flowers etc(well not at this stage). Just think of me as somebody who doesnt really have a clue about this(because i dont really accept what ive read if you know what i mean).

Thanks.
Old 13-01-2012, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice needed-in regards to sewing my garden.

In article , Sinead90
writes
Ok where to start...my garden has never been sewed before and basically

i want to know whats the best process to sew the garden which will give

the best results.

Make sure you use a good thimble

--
regards andyw
Old 13-01-2012, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"news" wrote in message
In article , Sinead90
writes
Ok where to start...my garden has never been sewed before and basically

i want to know whats the best process to sew the garden which will give

the best results.

Make sure you use a good thimble

--
regards andyw

He means that the kind of sowing you want to do isn't spelled sewing.

Old 13-01-2012, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:19:54 +0000, kay
wrote:

Sinead90;947117 Wrote:
Hi all,

Ok where to start..

You haven't actually told us what sort of seeds you want to sow ;-)

Are you after covering the whole garden with a lawn? Or do you want to
sow flowers or vegetables? Or is your main aim to get it looking tidy
and needing as little maintenance as possible?

And when responding to Kay's questions, could you also say:

1) Where you are in the UK (that makes a difference)
2) What type of soil do you have (have a look at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/...types1.shtml)?
3) Is the ground covered with weeds now or is it fairly clear?
4) Does the garden get a lot of sun or is it shaded for a lot of the
day?
5) If you want to sow a lawn, what sort of use will it get (kids
playing football all day is different from the occasional deck
chair!)?

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 13-01-2012, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2012 16:33, news wrote:
In article , Sinead90
writes
Ok where to start...my garden has never been sewed before and basically

i want to know whats the best process to sew the garden which will give

the best results.

Make sure you use a good thimble

Or she might get stitched up. ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 13-01-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sinead90
writes
Hi all,

Ok where to start...my garden has never been sewed before

Then you need to plant stitchwort!

Roy.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 13-01-2012, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote
I always recommend knitting a lawn on large needles. Embroidery is
sew
slow.

Best not to use moss stitch patterns, though.

--
Sue

Old 13-01-2012, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/13/2012 2:32 PM, Sue wrote:

"Janet" wrote
I always recommend knitting a lawn on large needles. Embroidery is sew
slow.

Best not to use moss stitch patterns, though.

Seed stitch would work.
Old 13-01-2012, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 1/13/2012 2:32 PM, Sue wrote:

"Janet" wrote
I always recommend knitting a lawn on large needles. Embroidery is sew
slow.

Best not to use moss stitch patterns, though.

Seed stitch would work.

Green stripes look good.

Janet
Old 13-01-2012, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2012-01-13 19:33:59 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 1/13/2012 2:32 PM, Sue wrote:

"Janet" wrote
I always recommend knitting a lawn on large needles. Embroidery is sew
slow.

Best not to use moss stitch patterns, though.

Seed stitch would work.

I'll go for Lazy Daisy.

The way this thread is going I'd suggest *Crazy Daisy ( but notice I
got thread in as well so two for the price of one!)

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

I remember being taught almost 60 years ago
"The farmer was out in his field sowing corn, His wife was in the
house sewing his shirt,
They were both..?????
WORKING "
David
Old 13-01-2012, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:26:55 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:40:35 +0100, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 13/01/2012 16:33, news wrote:
In article , Sinead90
writes
Ok where to start...my garden has never been sewed before and basically

i want to know whats the best process to sew the garden which will give

the best results.

Make sure you use a good thimble

Or she might get stitched up. ;-)

A stitch in thyme?

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Just an observation. Most of this thread has degenerated into puns on
the OPs original spelling error. Is this really necessary in welcoming
(or mocking) a new poster who has also asked some apparently innocent
questions to a (theoretically) sympathetic newsgroup? Is it because it
has come from gardenbanter?

Geoff

Old 13-01-2012, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
I always recommend knitting a lawn on large needles. Embroidery is sew
slow.

But they say the best gardens are a tapestry of colour

aside from that though it does seem a strange Original post . Why not
say lawn? It doesn't seem quite normal to say "sow a garden"

To have a whole garden as lawn seems a bit extreme anyway!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph