Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fresh Butter Beans

Has anyone ever grown or, for that matter, eaten fresh butter beans? The
only ones we ever get in England are dried, even the tinned ones. I think
we had fresh ones in Greece but the language made proper identification a
problem. They were delicious. Presumably they don't grow here, but I
wonder why not.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2010-11-11 11:40:50 +0000, "Plum" said:

Has anyone ever grown or, for that matter, eaten fresh butter beans? *
The only ones we ever get in England are dried, even the tinned ones. *
I think we had fresh ones in Greece but the language made proper
identification a problem. *They were delicious. *Presumably they don't
grow here, but I wonder why not.

I *think* butter beans are a type of lima bean, Phaseolus lunata. *ISTR
Seeds of Italy had them but this isn't really mt thing. *When the
person who does most of our veg plants growing is next in, I'll ask her
and also see if she's got a catalogue yet.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

We went all through this topic a few weeks ago.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Plum wrote:

Before raising a topic I try to see if it has already been aired but
the Search did not produce anything. Newsgroups move so fast that a
few weeks ago is probably eons in newsgroup time.

But it was *you* that started the previous thread!
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.re...78aaf7 c9ed96

--
Chris

Old 11-11-2010, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote in
:

Hence my suggestion.

Start from scratch, because when the origional post was posted, most
gardeners were in the gardens and not looking at their computer screes to
see .............aw forget it.

Baz
Old 12-11-2010, 09:01 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Baz[_3_
I think that as long as a topic is not too repetative it should be recieved
in the same way a new one is.
How repetitive is *too* repetitive? This covered exactly the same ground as the last one, right down to the reference to Greece. It was probably exactly the same wording!
__________________
Old 13-11-2010, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote in news:kay.752b2d7
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

How repetitive is *too* repetitive? This covered exactly the same ground
as the last one, right down to the reference to Greece. It was probably
exactly the same wording!

It was probably exactly the same wording!

What is that supposed to mean?

I take it that you have not read the origional post, and therefore in your
logic it is an old thread, although you say exactly and probably?

So you have not read it, but object to it being posted again?

BTW it is not the same wording, and if you had looked you would have known
that.
Old 13-11-2010, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
It was probably exactly the same wording!

What is that supposed to mean?

I take it that you have not read the origional post, and therefore in your
logic it is an old thread, although you say exactly and probably?

So you have not read it, but object to it being posted again?

BTW it is not the same wording, and if you had looked you would have known
that.

Same author - same header tile - same questions
Wrong again Baz - definately an old thread.

Pete

Old 13-11-2010, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 13, 5:38*pm, "Pete" wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message

It was probably exactly the same wording!

What is that supposed to mean?

I take it that you have not read the origional post, and therefore in your
logic it is an old thread, although you say exactly and probably?

So you have not read it, but object to it being posted again?

BTW it is not the same wording, and if you had looked you would have known
that.

Same author - same header tile - same questions
Wrong again Baz - definately an old thread.

Pete

The difference is that the origional post stayed on the topic of
Butter beans, and didn't get embroiled in any other subject,

Old 14-11-2010, 01:02 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

You have made three totally wrong assumptions there.

I did read the original post, and provided an on-topic reply to it. That's why I can remember so much of it.

So for some reason the other person didn't see the original replies, or decided they weren't what they wanted, and some explanation of why they were posted what seemed to be virtually the same post, and by implication asking us to repeat what we'd already spent time on, would be useful.

And no, I didn't go back and check word for word against the original post.

btw - I wasn't objecting to them reposting (I just didn't bother to answer them again) - I was just boggling at your "if it's not too repetitive" .... there didn't seem a lot of room to get any more repetitive.
__________________
Old 14-11-2010, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in
:

kay wrote in news:kay.752b2d7
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

How repetitive is *too* repetitive? This covered exactly the same
ground as the last one, right down to the reference to Greece. It was
probably exactly the same wording!

It was probably exactly the same wording!

What is that supposed to mean?

I take it that you have not read the origional post, and therefore in
your logic it is an old thread, although you say exactly and probably?

So you have not read it, but object to it being posted again?

BTW it is not the same wording, and if you had looked you would have
known that.

No excuse from me, I was drinking and got carried away, as seems to be too
frequent these days.
As I said not an excuse.

Baz

Old 14-11-2010, 05:14 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post

No excuse from me, I was drinking and got carried away, as seems to be too
frequent these days.
As I said not an excuse.
No probs. Hope you get over the bad patch soon.
__________________
Old 15-11-2010, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote in news:kay.755fe96
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;905173']

No excuse from me, I was drinking and got carried away, as seems to be
too
frequent these days.
As I said not an excuse.

No probs. Hope you get over the bad patch soon.

Thankyou for being understanding.

Baz.

Fresh Butter Beans Plum United Kingdom 8 21-10-2010 03:25 PM
sweet butter lettuce Rachael Simpson Edible Gardening 15 08-06-2007 07:34 PM
Butter beans and Chick Peas Zinc Potterman United Kingdom 3 19-04-2006 09:20 PM
butter beans dirt dibbler United Kingdom 0 09-08-2005 09:30 PM
Grasshoppers & garlic butter John Hall Gardening 8 25-08-2003 02:02 AM