Old 14-11-2010, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

Default Jerusalem artichokes - ugh!

big disappointment, having grown them

but now I know why I never tasted them before

they are disgusting

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 14-11-2010, 11:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:19:37 -0000, Gill Smith wrote:

big disappointment, having grown them

but now I know why I never tasted them before

they are disgusting

I liked them (sunchokes) a lot the first and only time I've tried
them. Sauteed in butter and lightly seasoned, they had a nice
nutty, rich taste.

-sw
Old 14-11-2010, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-11-14 22:19:37 +0000, "Gill Smith"
said:

big disappointment, having grown them

but now I know why I never tasted them before

they are disgusting

Not even as soup? Or gently friend in butter when sliced thinly? To me
they have a mildly nutty taste and I like them a lot.

I like them roast, but I will never, ever, make soup with them again. It
was disgusting!

--
Kathy

Old 15-11-2010, 12:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening Gill Smith wrote:
big disappointment, having grown them

but now I know why I never tasted them before

they are disgusting

Heh. I had almost exactly the same series of thoughts when I did the same.
Unfortunately once you grow the buggers once, they're really rather tricky
to convince to stop growing!

Old 15-11-2010, 03:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
big disappointment, having grown them

but now I know why I never tasted them before

they are disgusting

I tried them raw. They were just okay. Nothing I wanted to eat again. But
the gas afterwards? Oh momma. Never again.

Old 15-11-2010, 06:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

Gill Smith wrote:
big disappointment, having grown them

but now I know why I never tasted them before

they are disgusting

There's no accounting for taste. I love them. Try scrubbing some,
cutting them into small pieces and whopping them up in a liquidiser with
proper stock.

While liquidising, I tend to bung in an onion, frehly-ground black
pepper and celery seeds, as well as a scrape of nutmeg.

That's all you need for a good, thick, nourishing soup.

--
Rusty
Old 16-11-2010, 12:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-11-14 22:19:37 +0000, "Gill Smith"
said:

big disappointment, having grown them

but now I know why I never tasted them before

they are disgusting

Not even as soup? Or gently friend in butter when sliced thinly? To me
they have a mildly nutty taste and I like them a lot.

I'm afraid of mixing them with anything

in case the dislike becomes contagious and spreads to stuff I mix them with

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 16-11-2010, 12:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Gill Smith" wrote:

big disappointment, having grown them

but now I know why I never tasted them before

they are disgusting

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Ok, so how did you prepare them?

'nestling' (whoa!) on a bed of rice

so they sort of got steamed

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 16-11-2010, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Gill Smith" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Gill Smith" wrote:

big disappointment, having grown them

but now I know why I never tasted them before

they are disgusting

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Ok, so how did you prepare them?

'nestling' (whoa!) on a bed of rice

so they sort of got steamed

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Hm okay. I've always treated them like small potatoes. Scrubbed them
well then steamed them, then served them mashed with butter, salt and
pepper.

Did you cook them until they were soft or did you leave them crispy?

'al dente'

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 17-11-2010, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:

Cut thinly they make a good substitute for water chestnuts in a stir
fry.
They are known to stop the wind when growing and to release it after
being eaten.

The wind mae a really untidy mess of mine this year. Let's hope they
don't generate wind in proportion to what they've absorbed...

Hope I get some this year, I've had to grow them in the "Cage" as
every time I have tried before the badgers have cleared them out
without a trace..

At least you can hear them coming.

One hopes, not from upwind.

--
Rusty

Old 18-11-2010, 02:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

'al dente'

'al vente' seeing they're artichokes

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/