Old 29-12-2010, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default RHS free seed list

I spent an hour this morning putting in a list for a friend who doesn't
have email etc. (i registered an email address then registered them on
the RHS site etc etc.
Went through fine

Just been on to select MY seeds put them all in (and it's a tedious
process as they haven't written the HTML code right so you have to
scroll down the page everytime you choose the seeds.

Anyway at the last "next" button I get the blinking "runtime error"
page. Tried three times and now not sure what to do!!

Anyone else having trouble and why does it work for some people and not
others?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 29-12-2010, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

To add insult to injury my email to the RHS has just bounced!!
Old 29-12-2010, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I spent an hour this morning putting in a list for a friend who doesn't
have email etc. (i registered an email address then registered them on the
RHS site etc etc.
Went through fine

Just been on to select MY seeds put them all in (and it's a tedious
process as they haven't written the HTML code right so you have to scroll
down the page everytime you choose the seeds.

Anyway at the last "next" button I get the blinking "runtime error" page.
Tried three times and now not sure what to do!!

Anyone else having trouble and why does it work for some people and not
others?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is RHS, and how do you get the free seeds?

Alan

Janet

Old 29-12-2010, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

Forgive my ignorance, but what is RHS, and how do you get the free seeds?

Alan

www.rhs.org.uk

I do not see any mention of free seeds though(:-(
P'raps you have to join(:-)

Pete

Old 29-12-2010, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , alan.holmes
writes

Forgive my ignorance, but what is RHS, and how do you get the free seeds?

Royal Horticultural Society. Haven't done it for years, but around this
time of year I went to their main office and picked up a catalogue/list
of spare seeds you could request for free. Reading Janet's post, looks
like you can get the list and apply on their website - presumably for
members only.
--
Nick (=----)

Old 29-12-2010, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
To add insult to injury my email to the RHS has just bounced!!

Rang the RHS at Wisley, spoke to nice girls, she said send the email to
membership@rhs etc. and she would phone back and take payment to save
time.
Sent email

it bounced ............................
tried to recall all the seeds i ordered and have just posted them .

SIGH

Janet
Old 29-12-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick
writes
Reading Janet's post, looks like you can get the list and apply on
their website - presumably for members only.
--

Yes, you go through their website and login as a member then order
seeds, (you can download list though i don't think it's as good as the
Old 29-12-2010, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pete
writes
I do not see any mention of free seeds though(:-(
P'raps you have to join(:-)

Of course you have to join!

Wouldn't be wroth their while otherwise would it?

It's spelled out here

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Seed-list/Seed-list
Old 29-12-2010, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Pete
writes
I do not see any mention of free seeds though(:-(
P'raps you have to join(:-)

Of course you have to join!

Wouldn't be wroth their while otherwise would it?

It's spelled out here

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Seed-list/Seed-list
--

Of course ! --- they could promote free seeds to members on their homepage.

Pete

Old 29-12-2010, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Nick
writes
Reading Janet's post, looks like you can get the list and apply on
their website - presumably for members only.
--

Yes, you go through their website and login as a member then order
seeds, (you can download list though i don't think it's as good as the
HPS list)

Didn't know about them (Google gives the Hardy Plant Society - I assume
that's the one?) so will look through the site later - thanks. I seem
limited to veg (and not much of that) these days, so have only been
using the HDRA heritage seed subscription.
--
Nick (=----)

Old 30-12-2010, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick" wrote in message
In message , alan.holmes
writes

Forgive my ignorance, but what is RHS, and how do you get the free seeds?

Royal Horticultural Society. Haven't done it for years, but around this
time of year I went to their main office and picked up a catalogue/list of
spare seeds you could request for free. Reading Janet's post, looks like
you can get the list and apply on their website - presumably for members
only.

Some gardens give away free seeds to visitors. I was at Ventnor gardens some
years ago and there was a trayful of seeds in envelopes, marked free-help
yourself.

Steve

Old 30-12-2010, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
In message , alan.holmes
writes

Forgive my ignorance, but what is RHS, and how do you get the free seeds?

Royal Horticultural Society. Haven't done it for years, but around this
time of year I went to their main office and picked up a catalogue/list
of spare seeds you could request for free. Reading Janet's post, looks
like you can get the list and apply on their website - presumably for
members only.

Some gardens give away free seeds to visitors. I was at Ventnor gardens
some years ago and there was a trayful of seeds in envelopes, marked
free-help yourself.

Steve

Ventnor Botanical Gardens are in trouble and it looks as if it may close.
Not been running as a commercial business for years. Ideal spot for
building retirement bungalows and houses for the retired. South facing sun
trap.

http://ventnorblog.com/2010/08/13/ve...t-be-sold-off/

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 30-12-2010, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick
writes
Didn't know about them (Google gives the Hardy Plant Society - I assume
that's the one?) so will look through the site later - thanks. I seem
limited to veg (and not much of that) these days, so have only been
using the HDRA heritage seed subscription.
--

Surprisingly too the Alpine garden Society has a good range of free
seeds and not by any means concentrating on alpine stuff. I have been

Janet
Old 30-12-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
In message , alan.holmes
writes

[...]

It would be a shame if it closed. We thought it was excellent. That was 10
or more years ago mind.

Steve

Old 30-12-2010, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
In message , alan.holmes
writes

[...]

Prime building land :-((

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.