Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Default Identity of Spanish Plant, please?

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 11:21:44 -0000, "Joan Edington"
wrote:

We were on holiday in the Costa Blanca region of Spain this Christmas and
came across a strange plant. It had tough green pods about 4 inches in
length and roughly the shape of a pepper, at the end of long vine-like
branches. The leaves were arrow-head shapes and a bit shorter. Since there
were no flowers at this time of year I haven't been able to identify the
plant from any of my sources. Has someone out there any idea what these are,
please? I'd love to know what they may look like in spring or summer. I've
attached a small photo, hoping that's allowed on this group. If not, I
apologise.
Thanks and a happy new year,
Joan

I think it's what we used to call a "choko" in Aus. "Cho-cho" in
India, "chayote" and "christophene" elsewhere. If that's what it is,
it's very bland: peel, remove big seed in the middle, then treat like
its relative the vegetable marrow, though I imagine there are better
recipes from India.

--
Mike.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
I've
attached a small photo, hoping that's allowed on this
group. If not, I apologise.

Hmm. Only a couple of days since the 'charter' was sent out
for:- Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening outlining what to do
about pictures

--
John Mulrooney

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JTM JTM is offline

In article , JTM
wrote:
attached a small photo, hoping that's allowed on this
group. If not, I apologise.

Hmm. Only a couple of days since the 'charter' was sent
out for:- Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening outlining what to
do about pictures

If you want a pic post one on your website or on eg.tinypic
or photobucket

Old 03-01-2011, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 18:13:29 +0000 (GMT), JTM
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
I've
attached a small photo, hoping that's allowed on this
group. If not, I apologise.

Hmm. Only a couple of days since the 'charter' was sent out
for:- Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening outlining what to do
about pictures

I wonder if the charter says anything about bearing false witness as
to the messages of fellow-posters...but there's something about it in
the book of Exodus, I imagine.

Meanwhile, it wouldn't hurt to temper your wind to the shorn lamb: the
OP's new here.

--
Mike.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:36 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

If you could post your pic on a site where pictures are allowed (eg Flickr) and post a url here, it would be very useful.

I feel dubious about the chayote id, as googling doesn't show up any suggestion that it'd be growing in Europe..
__________________

Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I apologise for getting it wrong as usual. I've never tried using a picture
before, only logged onto the newsgroup today after a Christmas holiday and
so missed the charter instructions. I don't have a web site so I've posted
the image at the URL below. At least I hope I've done it right.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff459/jedi444/

PS Sorry JTM, I got even more wrong by replying to you previously and not
the group.

"JTM" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
I've
attached a small photo, hoping that's allowed on this
group. If not, I apologise.

Hmm. Only a couple of days since the 'charter' was sent out
for:- Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening outlining what to do
about pictures

--
John Mulrooney

until you hear them speak

Old 04-01-2011, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Mike. I went puce with embarrassment when I got JTM's reply. Loved
your post though. I'd never heard the saying about the shorn lamb before it
came up in a book I was reading over Christmas. It's become a bit of a joke
between me and mine since.

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 18:13:29 +0000 (GMT), JTM

Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Sacha, the pod certainly looks the same but the leaves are rather
different. Since it was growing wild I don't think I'll try the recipe,
though!!

wrote:

[...]

I've never heard of it before but found this on Googling:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fr...phinewit_89119
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Edington;909170
[url=http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff459/jedi444/
Pictures by jedi444 - Photobucket[/url]
That's good! - anybody who knows the plant ought to be able to id it from that.

The fruit does look like chayote, but the leaves are wrong - I think they should be more like a french bean.

Usual arrow-leaved creepers in that area are various Aristolochias, but that's just a wild guess. I don't think that the leaves are right, or the fruit!
__________________
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
I apologise for getting it wrong as usual. I've never tried using a picture
before, only logged onto the newsgroup today after a Christmas holiday and
so missed the charter instructions. I don't have a web site so I've posted
the image at the URL below. At least I hope I've done it right.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff459/jedi444/

PS Sorry JTM, I got even more wrong by replying to you previously and not
the group.

"JTM" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
I've
attached a small photo, hoping that's allowed on this
group. If not, I apologise.

Hmm. Only a couple of days since the 'charter' was sent out
for:- Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening outlining what to do
about pictures

--
John Mulrooney

until you hear them speak

Joan, the plant is Aruajia sericefera, it is an evergreen climber in the
milkweed family and those fruits contain many silky seeds. Flowers are in
late summer and about 1" across pink and white with a good scent.
Can be damaged outside in the UK so needs protecting.
(Oh and the whole plant is toxic!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 05-01-2011, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-04 12:51:07 +0000, "Joan Edington"
said:

Thanks Sacha, the pod certainly looks the same but the leaves are rather
different. Since it was growing wild I don't think I'll try the recipe,
though!!
snip

You might try asking on a food/cooking group, perhaps. There is a uk one
but it might not help any more than urg can. If there's a group that
discusses Spanish cooking, you might get some help there.
--
Sacha

Its not edible, its Aruajia sericefera one of the climbing milkweeds, I am
sure Ray has it somewhere!
Most of us that grow it remove the pods or it seeds everywhere

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Many thanks, Charlie. I would never have found that in a million years. It's
good to know it's such a pretty flower and available in the UK. I don't
think one would have a hope of surviving in my part of Scotland, though. I
could almost be tempted back to the costa Brava in summer to see it, or
maybe not :-)

Joan

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
I apologise for getting it wrong as usual. I've never tried using a
picture
before, only logged onto the newsgroup today after a Christmas holiday
and
so missed the charter instructions. I don't have a web site so I've
posted
the image at the URL below. At least I hope I've done it right.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff459/jedi444/

PS Sorry JTM, I got even more wrong by replying to you previously and not
the group.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 13:02:55 -0000, "Joan Edington"
wrote:

Many thanks, Charlie. I would never have found that in a million years. It's
good to know it's such a pretty flower and available in the UK. I don't
think one would have a hope of surviving in my part of Scotland, though. I
could almost be tempted back to the costa Brava in summer to see it, or
maybe not :-)

[...]

Charlie had written:
Joan, the plant is Aruajia sericefera, it is an evergreen climber in the
milkweed family and those fruits contain many silky seeds. Flowers are in
late summer and about 1" across pink and white with a good scent.
Can be damaged outside in the UK so needs protecting.
(Oh and the whole plant is toxic!)

Thanks for the education. I hope nobody's eaten it on the strenmgth
of my suggestion!

--
Mike.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Do you mean that the Hillhouse Nursery has these plants? If so, what name
would they be under, in case I wanted to try my best with one.

Hopefully, Joan

On 2011-01-05 19:27:56 +0000, "Charlie Pridham"

On 2011-01-04 12:51:07 +0000, "Joan Edington"
said:

Thanks Sacha, the pod certainly looks the same but the leaves are
rather
different. Since it was growing wild I don't think I'll try the recipe,
though!!
snip

You might try asking on a food/cooking group, perhaps. There is a uk
one but it might not help any more than urg can. If there's a group
that discusses Spanish cooking, you might get some help there.
--
Sacha

Its not edible, its Aruajia sericefera one of the climbing milkweeds, I
am sure Ray has it somewhere!
Most of us that grow it remove the pods or it seeds everywhere

We do have it and I didn't recognise the photo at all, have never even
thouht of eating it and hadn't heard of that name for it! It's in the big
double, I think. It's the one that catches moths by their tongues and
then lets them go a few hours later. It's a really beautiful thing, imo.
If he has a spare, do you want it or do you have it already?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Plant identity please Jim Stone United Kingdom 1 15-06-2013 12:46 PM
Identity please robert United Kingdom 11 14-04-2009 01:56 PM
Plant identity please Broadback United Kingdom 2 11-12-2006 04:34 PM
Tree Leaf Identity please? Todd Plant Science 1 02-07-2006 04:46 PM
Identity of flower please o1o1o1o1 Lawns 2 12-08-2004 02:12 AM