Old 17-01-2011, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default con or a scam?

"bobharvey" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 5:58 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Surely we all have 40ft square kitchens and bathrooms like in the adverts.

Whilst most adverts wash over me, that actually annoys me to the point
of stomping out of the room.

.................................................. ...................................

Don't YOU have two, 3 or 4 seater settees in your lounge? ;-{

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 17-01-2011, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 16, 7:43*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
I think one of the best was a shower I looked at, it was Metric input
and imperial output.

My employer makes a range of 5MW variable speed drives with bolt-in
fuses. One end of each fuse is M8, the other 1/4UNC
Old 17-01-2011, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bobharvey" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 7:43 pm, Dave Hill wrote:
I think one of the best was a shower I looked at, it was Metric input
and imperial output.

My employer makes a range of 5MW variable speed drives with bolt-in
fuses. One end of each fuse is M8, the other 1/4UNC

.................................................. .............................

During my working life I have been involved with BSF, Whitworth, BA, UNC and
Metric. I was rather surprised that my son wanted my old BA stock when I had
a clear out of my garage to make room for my Motor Bike, "We still use and
find BA in equipment"

Old 17-01-2011, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
Don't YOU have two, 3 or 4 seater settees in your lounge? ;-{

We have 2 2-seater sofas, which I /really/ need to replace with one corner
unit, but they are all about 2" too long along the narrow length. :-(
I could do with knowing where these adverts are finding their short
furniture from!!
Old 19-01-2011, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 7:13 pm, hugh ] wrote:

Thanks for this; although I'm in the American colonies, I once had a Saab
V-4 which was equipped with a Lucas alternator. Which failed, teaching me
that the Lucas end of the mounting bracket had "English" hardware,
whereas
the German engine end was metric.

You should worry, my 1986 Landrover uses both Metric and Imperial sizes
of bolts etc, and considering it's age there is no way of knowing which
is which. I find a grinder to be a good nut removal tool.

I think one of the best was a shower I looked at, it was Metric input
and imperial output.

Anyone who can't convert metric to imperial and vice versa in their
head needs to go back to an old-fashioned school :-)

Back in the days of Imperial/metric changeover, I need some timber for the
roof of a shed. I wanted something like 12ft lenghts, but was told I had to
buy it in metric size which I think was 4 m. When I paid for the timber I
ws charged at then then cost of so much per foot!

"BACK in the days"? We are still in them :-)

Timber is STILL sold by the metric foot, which is 30 cm. You would
have got 4.2 metres, unless you said that 3.9 was acceptable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-01-2011, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 7:13 pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Gary Woods" wrote ...

Alan wrote:

http://www.mez.co.uk/haynes.html

Thanks for this; although I'm in the American colonies, I once had a Saab
V-4 which was equipped with a Lucas alternator. Which failed, teaching me
that the Lucas end of the mounting bracket had "English" hardware,
whereas
the German engine end was metric.

We now return you to your gardens already in progress. Mine has a foot
(30cm) of snow on it.

You should worry, my 1986 Landrover uses both Metric and Imperial sizes
of bolts etc, and considering it's age there is no way of knowing which
is which. I find a grinder to be a good nut removal tool.

Tyre sizes are metric, wheel sizes are in inches
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha- Hide quoted text -

I think one of the best was a shower I looked at, it was Metric input
and imperial output.

Back in the days of Imperial/metric changeover, I need some timber for the
roof of a shed. I wanted something like 12ft lenghts, but was told I had to
buy it in metric size which I think was 4 m. When I paid for the timber I
ws charged at then then cost of so much per foot!

Bill

Old 19-01-2011, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote
Bill Grey wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
hugh wrote:

[...]

Our Council now talks about allotments in "Metric Lettings" instead of Rods
(Poles or Perches), same measurement just a different name.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-01-2011, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , writes
In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 7:13 pm, hugh ] wrote:

[...]

Length metric foot, cross section inches
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 19-01-2011, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 7:13 pm, hugh ] wrote:

[...]

Sheets of plywood are still sold at 8 ft by 4 ft, although they are shown as
metric!

Alan

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-01-2011, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Nick wrote
Bill Grey wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message
hugh wrote:

[...]

On "Time Team" this evening their surveyor spoke of Rods, Poles and Perches
say that a Rod was 5,5metres!

and to compound that he said it was 18 ft.

1 Rod = 5.5 yards = 16.5 ft

The confusion continues 1

Bill

Old 20-01-2011, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:40:03 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

On "Time Team" this evening their surveyor spoke of Rods, Poles and Perches
say that a Rod was 5,5metres!

and to compound that he said it was 18 ft.

1 Rod = 5.5 yards = 16.5 ft

The confusion continues 1

That triggers my primary school tables;
"five and a half yards, one rod, pole or perch".
I think allotments are historically measured in r, p or p, but forget
what mine is.

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-01-2011, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On "Time Team" this evening their surveyor spoke of Rods, Poles and Perches
say that a Rod was 5,5metres!

and to compound that he said it was 18 ft.

1 Rod = 5.5 yards = 16.5 ft

The confusion continues 1

That triggers my primary school tables;
"five and a half yards, one rod, pole or perch".

4 rods, poles or perches one chain.

... 22 yards one chain, ten chains one furlong, eight furlongs one mile.

Doesn't it date us! Kids these days would not understand a word of
it!

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-01-2011, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .

and all learnt before we were 11.
The coinage was even more exciting, not to mention learning tables up to
12X.

--

Martin

Remember "Logorithisms"

Clever little thingies, especially when spelt correctly !

Pete

Old 20-01-2011, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

On "Time Team" this evening their surveyor spoke of Rods, Poles and
Perches
say that a Rod was 5,5metres!

and to compound that he said it was 18 ft.

1 Rod = 5.5 yards = 16.5 ft

The confusion continues 1

That triggers my primary school tables;
"five and a half yards, one rod, pole or perch".

4 rods, poles or perches one chain.

... 22 yards one chain, ten chains one furlong, eight furlongs one mile.

Doesn't it date us! Kids these days would not understand a word of
it!

and all learnt before we were 11.
The coinage was even more exciting, not to mention learning tables up to
12X.
--

Martin

and we knew what all the reds bits were on the map of the world ;-)

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 20-01-2011, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:35:18 -0000, "Pete"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

and all learnt before we were 11.
The coinage was even more exciting, not to mention learning tables up to
12X.

--

Martin

Remember "Logorithisms"

Clever little thingies, especially when spelt correctly !

I still have my book of 5 figure log tables.

And I still have my engineers slide-rule.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha