Old 20-01-2011, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default con or a scam?

hugh ] wrote:

And I still have my engineers slide-rule.

Any extra geek points for Pickett 4" circular slide rule that fits nicely
in a shirt pocket?

Old 20-01-2011, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
Remember "Logorithisms"

Clever little thingies, especially when spelt correctly !

I still have my book of 5 figure log tables.

Perversely I've never been able to forget

Tan = opposite over adjacent

Cosine = adjacent over Hypotenuse

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-01-2011, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Martin
writes
Remember "Logorithisms"

Clever little thingies, especially when spelt correctly !

I still have my book of 5 figure log tables.

Perversely I've never been able to forget

Tan = opposite over adjacent

Cosine = adjacent over Hypotenuse

Or the squaw on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squaws on the
other two sides.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 21-01-2011, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:55:25 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:42:04 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Martin
writes
Remember "Logorithisms"

Clever little thingies, especially when spelt correctly !

I still have my book of 5 figure log tables.

Perversely I've never been able to forget

Tan = opposite over adjacent

Cosine = adjacent over Hypotenuse

and ACTS?

I still remember the function thingies, considering the triangle as
base, perpendicular, and hypotenuse, by

P over H: the sign of a Public House
B over H: the cost of a Boarding House
P over B: we tan the Poor Beast.

And they've still not proved of the slightest use to me. But even so,
I wish I knew maths.

--
Mike.
Old 22-01-2011, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , hugh
] writes
Or the squaw on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squaws on the
other two sides

Isn't it funny how odd things stick in the memory and others wander off?
I can remember almost half of the Pied Piper poem and that's really
long! No idea why I can't remember many others equally as well.
And stuff like cylindrical areas and so on, seems my brain has absorbed
that but i can't remember what i went upstairs to collect sometimes

Old 22-01-2011, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 12:08:37 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , hugh
] writes
Or the squaw on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squaws on the
other two sides

Isn't it funny how odd things stick in the memory and others wander off?
I can remember almost half of the Pied Piper poem and that's really
long! No idea why I can't remember many others equally as well.
And stuff like cylindrical areas and so on, seems my brain has absorbed
that but i can't remember what i went upstairs to collect sometimes

Snap! Ditti! At school we sang the Pied Piper and I can still
remember a lot of it.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-01-2011, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hugh ] wrote:

Or the squaw on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squaws on the
other two sides.

ISTR "Squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the
other two hides."
Old 22-01-2011, 06:57 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
Remember "Logorithisms"

Clever little thingies, especially when spelt correctly ![/i][/color]

I still have my book of 5 figure log tables.
But I'm so glad that nowadays the concept of logarithms isn't swamped out by learning the mechanics of log tables.

And looking back to my own days of learning maths - why was it that so few people could get hold of the idea of counting to a different base when we were all using base 4, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 24 and 60 in our everyday lives? (and indeed we still use most of those)
__________________
Old 24-01-2011, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

'Martin[_2_ Wrote:
;910549']
Remember "Logorithisms"

Clever little thingies, especially when spelt correctly !

I still have my book of 5 figure log tables.

But I'm so glad that nowadays the concept of logarithms isn't swamped
out by learning the mechanics of log tables.

And looking back to my own days of learning maths - why was it that so
few people could get hold of the idea of counting to a different base
when we were all using base 4, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 24 and 60 in our
everyday lives? (and indeed we still use most of those)[/i][/color]

--
kay

So you agree with me that a pH of 6 is greater than a pH of 7? (To get
back on topic)
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha