Old 24-01-2011, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Doing Our Bit for the Environment

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:04:29 -0000, "Pete"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

The charter for urg allows posts linking to catalogues or websites that are
relevant to the subject matter of the group, but no more frequently than
once every three months. The subject line should begin "AD or "ADVERT".
References to a gardening related business can be made in a sig.file of no
more than 4 lines.
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.gardening.html

Thanks Sacha.

A previous poster wrote :-

"I see no need to post Biblical quotations (that incidentally
contravene the charter of this group). "

I see no reference to Biblical quotations contravening the charter of this
group.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Whoops! I had no intention to start WW3 and maybe I could have phrased
my views better but the "sig" is more than 4 lines long, it is also
unrelated to gardening and is longer than the message. Whoever
Gardenlen is, he posts here from Australia once in a blue moon. The
message is always short and followed by his string of quotations. He
may be the nicest person on the planet but this group is about
gardening, not the Second Coming. I've now created my first killfile
and I've told him why.

Cheers

Jake
Old 24-01-2011, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

Thanks Sacha.

A previous poster wrote :-

"I see no need to post Biblical quotations (that incidentally
contravene the charter of this group). "

I see no reference to Biblical quotations contravening the charter of
this group.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

I can't think how you missed it. We are specifically asked to restrict
adverts and sig.files to gardening matters.

Sacha

Sorry - I was looking for the Biblical restrictions.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com - a garden-related ( non-profit making ) business.
Old 24-01-2011, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 24, 11:46*am, Baz wrote:
harry wrote :

On Jan 23, 10:10 am, Baz wrote:
harry wrote
innews:77e63b29-8243-4ed7-a9d3-d6dcde3d

:

I went to Syria , Iraq and Jordan a few years back. There are far
worse places I can tell you.

I too have seen worse places but only on TV. It's a big shock to
actua

lly
be there though isn't it. I have been depressed ever since.

Baz

Hah. These places are fine to visit for a few weeks. *One goes home
thanking one's lucky stars. * However, you don't have time for the
whingers back in the UK. Don't know they're born.
I think the worst places I visited was Bolivia and Papua New Guinea.
Pretty grim in Venezuela too. For poverty that is. *Great if you're a
wealthy tourist. *You can enjoy the fat of the land. All the stuff you
can't afford at home!

Yes I take your point and how true.
I went for personal reasons though not as a tourist, true I did some
sightseeing but who wouldn't.

Baz- Hide quoted text -

My wife is a parrot nut so we go wandering about on the buses in
various tropical countries look at wild ones. I used to write for
various magazines to get some money back. Heh Heh.
Strange things often happened to us.
Old 25-01-2011, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

A previous poster wrote :-
"I see no need to post Biblical quotations (that incidentally
contravene the charter of this group). "
I see no reference to Biblical quotations contravening the charter
of this group.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

I can't think how you missed it. We are specifically asked to restrict
adverts and sig.files to gardening matters.

But it's not an advert for a business though is it.

The charter says nothing about sig length in general, the bit about 4
lines only refers to adverts/references to a posters gardening related
business.

Whether or not someone finds the content offends them so much that want
to put the poster in killfile is one thing, but it doesn't seem to be
in breach of the charter to me.
--
Chris French

Old 25-01-2011, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-25 09:50:46 +0000, chris French

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-01-24 15:04:29 +0000, "Pete"

A previous poster wrote :-
"I see no need to post Biblical quotations (that incidentally
contravene the charter of this group). "
I see no reference to Biblical quotations contravening the charter of
this group.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

I can't think how you missed it. We are specifically asked to restrict
adverts and sig.files to gardening matters.

But it's not an advert for a business though is it.

Nor is it gardening discussion relevant though, is it? Or was Eden in
there somewhere? ;-)

The charter says nothing about sig length in general, the bit about 4
lines only refers to adverts/references to a posters gardening related
business.

Don't you think that's implicit? I suppose whoever drew up the charter
didn't think many people would advertise anything other than their name,
so restricted the request to 4 lines only if it contains any relevant
gardening business ad.

Whether or not someone finds the content offends them so much that want
to put the poster in killfile is one thing, but it doesn't seem to be in
breach of the charter to me.

Given that the poster sends other things that are interesting and
relevant, I wouldn't personally and I use killfiles extremely sparingly.
But I don't think (in principle) that using a non-religious discussion
group to emphasise religious belief is a good thing generally. It's one
of those things (like politics) that tends to spawn a lot of argument and
dissent, so is perhaps better kept to relevant groups.

--
Sacha

That is why in the Masonic Fraternity, Politics and Religion are not
mentioned

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 25-01-2011, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-01-25 09:50:46 +0000, chris French

In message , Sacha
writes

A previous poster wrote :-
"I see no need to post Biblical quotations (that incidentally
contravene the charter of this group). "
I see no reference to Biblical quotations contravening the charter
of this group.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com
I can't think how you missed it. We are specifically asked to
restrict adverts and sig.files to gardening matters.

But it's not an advert for a business though is it.

Nor is it gardening discussion relevant though, is it?

No, but it's a sig, lots of people have non-gardening relevant bits in
their sig. No where does it say that sig have to be relevant to
gardening, it just talks about advertising.

Or was Eden in there somewhere? ;-)

:-)

The charter says nothing about sig length in general, the bit about
4 lines only refers to adverts/references to a posters gardening
related business.

Don't you think that's implicit? I suppose whoever drew up the charter
didn't think many people would advertise anything other than their
name, so restricted the request to 4 lines only if it contains any
relevant gardening business ad.

Maybe, maybe not. It's pretty normal for people to put quotes, humorous
things etc. in their sig. The 4 lines thing is a generally accepted
guideline for sigs though.

Whether or not someone finds the content offends them so much that
want to put the poster in killfile is one thing, but it doesn't seem
to be in breach of the charter to me.

But I don't think (in principle) that using a non-religious discussion
group to emphasise religious belief is a good thing generally. It's
one of those things (like politics) that tends to spawn a lot of
argument and dissent, so is perhaps better kept to relevant groups.

I would probably agree, but I think the best way to deal with it to
ignore it, rather than comment on it. How many times does someone post
something like that in a sig to urg?
--
Chris French