Old 22-01-2011, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Doing Our Bit for the Environment

I'm sure all gardeners try and do their bit for the environment. I
find it a bit galling when, having given myself a hernia picking the
weighty editions of The Garden and Gardeners' World from my doormat
this morning, it turns out that the magazines weigh 500 grams and the
junk put in with them (excluding the RHS Handbook and the GW seeds
that is) adds up to 450 grams.

Yep! I was silly enough to actually weigh the junk before consigning
it all to my recycling bin, unread.

I suppose publishers will argue that the advertising subsidises the
magazine cost but there must be an impact on postage costs given the
almost doubling of the weight. And don't these magazines go on
regularly about trying to reduce waste ....

Rant over.

Cheers

Jake
Old 22-01-2011, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

I'm sure all gardeners try and do their bit for the environment. I
find it a bit galling when, having given myself a hernia picking the
weighty editions of The Garden and Gardeners' World from my doormat
this morning, it turns out that the magazines weigh 500 grams and the
junk put in with them (excluding the RHS Handbook and the GW seeds
that is) adds up to 450 grams.

Yep! I was silly enough to actually weigh the junk before consigning
it all to my recycling bin, unread.

I suppose publishers will argue that the advertising subsidises the
magazine cost but there must be an impact on postage costs given the
almost doubling of the weight. And don't these magazines go on
regularly about trying to reduce waste ....

Rant over.

Cheers

Jake

I feel your rant.
Buying from Unwins, Thompson&Morgan and the like are SOOO expensive and the
results from your observations are more than likely contributing.
I suppose there is a limit what you can compost and with all the extra
packaging we get, and with foods too!
We get a free newspaper(which is OK) but it is stuffed inside with
advertising garbage too. Local kebab, Chinese, Indian takeaway literature,
plus a few scratch cards and the local builders who are really cowboys so
therefore have to vent leaflets. etc. etc.
Sometime in the near future I hope all of these methods and practices will
be made illegal.

I got back home on Wednesday from a visit to Syria, and you should see how
some of those people have to live in all but Damascus.
Ar-Raqqah is typical, no paper to write on, no pen to write with and many
of them have no school, dress in rags and rely on the Brits and US to
survive. Some of them fled from Jordan and Lebanon years ago to make a new
life. To what?

Baz
Old 22-01-2011, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 22, 1:05*pm, Baz wrote:
Jake wrote :

[...]

Baz- Hide quoted text -

I went to Syria , Iraq and Jordan a few years back. There are far
worse places I can tell you.
Old 23-01-2011, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in
:

I went to Syria , Iraq and Jordan a few years back. There are far
worse places I can tell you.

I too have seen worse places but only on TV. It's a big shock to actually
be there though isn't it. I have been depressed ever since.

Baz
Old 23-01-2011, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 23, 10:10*am, Baz wrote:
harry wrote :

I went to Syria , Iraq and Jordan a few years back. * There are far
worse places I can tell you.

I too have seen worse places but only on TV. *It's a big shock to actually
be there though isn't it. I have been depressed ever since.

Baz

Hah. These places are fine to visit for a few weeks. One goes home
thanking one's lucky stars. However, you don't have time for the
whingers back in the UK. Don't know they're born.
I think the worst places I visited was Bolivia and Papua New Guinea.
Pretty grim in Venezuela too. For poverty that is. Great if you're a
wealthy tourist. You can enjoy the fat of the land. All the stuff you
can't afford at home!

Old 23-01-2011, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day jake,

we don't buy any magazines or books, no need to keep someone else in
business when it's all available free on the 'net. and stuff that
comes by local paper (free) or letter box drops gets recycled into the
garden.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 11:44:40 +0000, Jake
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 23-01-2011, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 04:36:22 +1000, gardenlen
wrote:

g'day jake,

we don't buy any magazines or books, no need to keep someone else in
business when it's all available free on the 'net. and stuff that
comes by local paper (free) or letter box drops gets recycled into the
garden.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 11:44:40 +0000, Jake
wrote:
snipped

G'day back Len.

Maybe you'll be interested to know that as I write this reply to your
post I can look up at a certificate of ordination pinned to my study
notice board. Whoops! That's giving something away in the group. Don't
worry folks, it's not CofE!

I see no need to post Biblical quotations (that incidentally
contravene the charter of this group). I also notice that your
contributions to this UK orientated group are occasional, short and,
indeed, shorter than the standard quotations in your "signature" -
please see above.

You have every right to your beliefs. Equally I have every right to,
for the first time, create a killfile and add you to it.
Old 24-01-2011, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
snipped

G'day back Len.

Maybe you'll be interested to know that as I write this reply to your
post I can look up at a *certificate of ordination pinned to my study
notice board. Whoops! That's giving something away in the group. Don't
worry folks, it's not CofE!

I see no need to post Biblical quotations (that incidentally
contravene the *charter of this group). I also notice that your
contributions to this UK orientated group are occasional, short and,
indeed, shorter than the standard quotations in your "signature" -
please see above.

You have every right to your beliefs. Equally I have every right to,
for the first time, create a killfile and add you to it.

Well carry right on. You must be pretty paranoid to let his babblings
disturb you. Our societies are based on Christianity whether you like
it or not.
Are you spawn of Satan? Heh Heh.
Old 24-01-2011, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
I'm sure all gardeners try and do their bit for the environment. I
find it a bit galling when, having given myself a hernia picking the
weighty editions of The Garden and Gardeners' World from my doormat
this morning, it turns out that the magazines weigh 500 grams and the
junk put in with them (excluding the RHS Handbook and the GW seeds
that is) adds up to 450 grams.

Yep! I was silly enough to actually weigh the junk before consigning
it all to my recycling bin, unread.

I suppose publishers will argue that the advertising subsidises the
magazine cost but there must be an impact on postage costs given the
almost doubling of the weight. And don't these magazines go on
regularly about trying to reduce waste ....

Rant over

I'm with you on this one Jake. The one thing that drives me mad is picking
up a newly delivered magazine only to have a shower of inserted junk fall on
the floor.

Bill

Old 24-01-2011, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake wrote:
I see no need to post Biblical quotations (that incidentally
contravene the charter of this group). I also notice that your
contributions to this UK orientated group are occasional, short and,
indeed, shorter than the standard quotations in your "signature" -
please see above.

I think the quotation would be fine if he put in the standard 'sig
separator' ('-- ' and don't forget the space!). Then you can strip them out
automatically if they bother you. (I'm not going to go find the charter
right now, but most ngs allow just about anything, including advertising, in
their sigs)

Old 24-01-2011, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:

But that wasn't really relevant to what I said, which was specifically about
signatures, and the bit about allowing advertising was a bit of an aside.

References to a gardening related business can be made in a
sig.file of no more than 4 lines.
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.gardening.html

*nod* That is typical. But more to the point, what is in the sig is
typically unrestricted, as long as it's separated properly, so it can be
stripped. Quotes, contact details, personal website, funky little ascii
drawings are all typical ...

That is a religious dogma. I could go into the history of how its
proponents got voted down, and then sneaked it into an RFC on
another topic entirely, but let's not. Anyway, it has never been
accepted.

The consensus for AT LEAST 30 years has been that any signatures
should be shortish, plain text using a basic character set and
with no lines longer than about 72 characters.

The consensus among the wider Email community from 40+ years ago
was (and, to a great extent, still is) that no text should include
control characters (including TAB) or syntactically significant
trailing spaces, as agents are liable to mishandle the former and
insert or remove the latter, unpredictably. And they do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-01-2011, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
I think the quotation would be fine if he put in the standard 'sig
separator' ('-- ' and don't forget the space!). Then you can strip them out
automatically if they bother you. (I'm not going to go find the charter
right now, but most ngs allow just about anything, including advertising, in
their sigs)

The charter for urg allows posts linking to catalogues or websites that
are relevant to the subject matter of the group, but no more frequently
than once every three months. The subject line should begin "AD or
"ADVERT".

Old 24-01-2011, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

The charter for urg allows posts linking to catalogues or websites that are
relevant to the subject matter of the group, but no more frequently than
once every three months. The subject line should begin "AD or "ADVERT".
References to a gardening related business can be made in a sig.file of no
more than 4 lines.
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.gardening.html

Thanks Sacha.

A previous poster wrote :-

"I see no need to post Biblical quotations (that incidentally
contravene the charter of this group). "

I see no reference to Biblical quotations contravening the charter of this
group.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 24-01-2011, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
But that wasn't really relevant to what I said, which was specifically about
signatures, and the bit about allowing advertising was a bit of an aside.

I put it all in because it's what comes under the Advertising heading
*and* because some mischief maker had (some years ago) written a piece
to Garden Banter totally distorting all of that paragraph.

Heh, fair enough.

It's restricted in that we're asked to keep it to garden related
things. Someone who shall be nameless came here years ago, advertising
a totally unrelated business, was asked to stop and has been a bloody
nuisance and a nasty one, ever since.

See, I would say that if it was in a signature, it could be an unrelated
business, it's only actual posts that are adverts that need to be related to
gardening. Or is that what you mean? It is 'normal' to have, say, a home
business in a sig.

Anyhow. I digress, and I really don't care that much I'm afraid, cos it's
not all that relative to me (since I neither post with a sig, nor read other
people's very often). I'm going to bow out now.