Old 13-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.
Default Frog disease

Everywhere I go at the moment, I see dead frogs in ponds, very visible as they always seem to lie upside down with thier white bellies very visible. I thought, as frogs seem to be on everyones mind at this time of year, I'd look into whats happening and this is what i've found.
The story seems to start with frogs being imported into the USA from S, Africa in the 1930's where they were used in early pregnancy tests, with them came the chytrid fungus (to which all amphibians are succeptable) This fungus spread into the wild. It then seemlingly was passed to Britain initially with the importing of bullfrog tadpoles, popular in the 1980's and then in the 1990's with the increasing imports of farmed goldfish. Its said that American fish farmers even used to shoot bullfrogs (who predated on these farmed goldfish) blasting them with shot guns, the fish then eating these bits of blasted frog, thus transporting the disease where ever these fish ended up !
Once here, the disease (which has the potential to be as viralent as mixamatosis was to rabbits) quickly spread. A further complication is that frogs were becomming more succeptible to this fungus due to high levels of copper in thier diet, from eating half dead slugs, toxicated by the new type of blue slug pellet now becomming more commonly used by gardeners.
So once again, as with alot of other diseases in various animals, seemlingly ' innocent' imports have again caused devastation, will we EVER learn ?????
Old 13-02-2011, 10:26 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
[...]
I'm not sure that's necessarily the problem this year. We've lost some frogs, not through disease, but because the pond froze to a depth of about 18 inches, and they'd decided to tuck themselves into the shallow end.
I suspect we're going to lose most of the ones who overwintered in the pond, and will have to rely on the ones who overwintered elsewhere.
__________________
Old 14-02-2011, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
kay- Hide quoted text -

Yes, we had the same thing happen a few years back after a very cold
Winter.
Old 14-02-2011, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
kay wrote:

...I'm not sure that's necessarily the problem this year. We've lost

some frogs,
not through disease, but because the pond froze to a depth ofabout 18 inches,
and they'd decided to tuck themselves into the shallowend.

Ditto (I think): as reported in another thread, we lost 13 frogs, 4
survived. I'm sure it's because the pond was frozen solid, and I failed
to knock a hole in the ice for all that time (other years I've both
knocked a hole in the ice, and in any case the ice wasn't so solid for
so long). I know the figures, btw, because, as reported, I've emptied
the pond completely in the last week.

John
Old 14-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
On Feb 13, 10:26*pm, kay wrote:
lannerman;912786 Wrote:

[...]

But here in Cornwall, yes weve had ice but not very much since the frogs have been in the water and they are still dying At my local golf club, there are dead frogs everywhere and up at Stithians reservoir, which hasnt frozen over this winter, dead frogs there as well, so we cant blame the ice down here. When I first moved to Cornwall in 1974, there were so many frogs here, that a Mr Skewes (froggySkewes) would pay 50p per frog to send to schools and universities for dissection and it was nothing to be able to collect 500 frogs on a damp night at times. Now, youd be lucky to find 20 but toads seem to have survived much better. So Im less inclined to blame the cold winter.
Lannerman.

Lannerman

Old 16-02-2011, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:11:21 +0000, lannerman
wrote:

snip
A further complication is
that frogs were becomming more succeptible to this fungus due to high
levels of copper in thier diet, from eating half dead slugs, toxicated
by the new type of blue slug pellet now becomming more commonly used by
gardeners.

I've not heard this before. AFAIK the new type of blue slug pellets
that I have seen (and use), contain iron phosphate (the older blue
pellets use metaldehyde, I believe). Is there another type that
contains copper?

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Not as far as I know just the two sorts you have outlined above, although
you can use aluminum sulphate solution as a liquid killer this has become
unpopular after camleford showed what aluminum poisoning does to humans

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs