Old 20-02-2011, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default how high deer fencing?

How high does Muntjac fencing need to be? i have standard stock fencing
round the garden across hawthorn but the blinking things are coming in
from next door where the person who rents the house encourages them.
Just seen 3 busy helping themselves to whatever's left of winter crops
at the bottom of the garden. They seem to just hop over the four foot
stock fencing and through the hawthorn.

Gardens are about 200 foot long but they don't seem to cross any nearer
the house than about 50 foot from bottom.

Now I've lost the dogs and can't get any more until i have time to be in
for a puppy there's no longer a deterrent on four legs!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-02-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

How high does Muntjac fencing need to be?

American whitetail deer can jump a good 10ft/3 meters if they get a running
start. I think Muntjacs are smaller, but given suitable motivation...
Electric wires help, especially if occasionally baited with foil coated
with peanut butter. Depends on how much you want to make your garden look
like Staleg 16!
They're very fond of the Kale plants I overwinter to grow for seed the next
spring.

Old 20-02-2011, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:13:09 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Gardens are about 200 foot long but they don't seem to cross any nearer
the house than about 50 foot from bottom.

What is at the bottom of the garden? Is it a two-or-more-storey house?

If so you should get very reliable kills at that range with a rifle from
an upper window, provided your stalker can shoot down so that the ground
acts as a safe back-stop. Muntjac venison. Yummy! Ask at your local
gunsmith for a contact.

Now I've lost the dogs and can't get any more until i have time to be in
for a puppy there's no longer a deterrent on four legs!

Older rescue dog?
Old 20-02-2011, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
How high does Muntjac fencing need to be? i have standard stock fencing
round the garden across hawthorn but the blinking things are coming in
from next door where the person who rents the house encourages them.
Just seen 3 busy helping themselves to whatever's left of winter crops at
the bottom of the garden. They seem to just hop over the four foot stock
fencing and through the hawthorn.

Gardens are about 200 foot long but they don't seem to cross any nearer
the house than about 50 foot from bottom.

Now I've lost the dogs and can't get any more until i have time to be in
for a puppy there's no longer a deterrent on four legs!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Have a look at this site:-

http://www.britishwildlife.com/html/hab00016.html

The second paragraph may be helpful to you

Bill

Old 21-02-2011, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Gary Woods
writes
They're very fond of the Kale plants I overwinter to grow for seed the next
spring.

Hmm guess I won't be trying that any time soon then

Old 21-02-2011, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Derek Turner
writes
What is at the bottom of the garden? Is it a two-or-more-storey house?

No it's another garden 200 foot long.

If so you should get very reliable kills at that range with a rifle from
an upper window, provided your stalker can shoot down so that the ground
acts as a safe back-stop. Muntjac venison. Yummy! Ask at your local
gunsmith for a contact.

Never heard of people eating Muntjac but it's very tempting at the
moment. They are incredibly ugly things with big fangs very unlike the
prettier Roe or other deer.
They can't really get a run at the hedge and fence as the hawthorn is 9
foot high and quite Thick they seem to almost spring over the 4 foot
stock fencing into the midst of the thorns.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 21-02-2011, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
At least 6ft tall, disabled neighbour sitting in his wheelchair at the
bottom of his garden had one jump over the 6ft fence from next-door and
nearly land in his lap. Both so shocked neither moved for a moment,
then the Deer jumped back from whence he came.

Oh, ... long think ....................
Wonder if I could attach another row of stock fencing on top of what i
have then? It was only supposed to keep my Dalmatians in when we first
put it up!
Old 21-02-2011, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bill Grey
writes
Have a look at this site:-

http://www.britishwildlife.com/html/hab00016.html

The second paragraph may be helpful to you

Bill

Very interesting Bill! It says
" A fence height of 1.5m is recommended as a barrier against Fallow Deer
Cervus dama, Roe Deer Capreolus capreolus and Muntjac Deer Muntiacus
reevesii, "
They don't seem to be having any trouble with my fencing so maybe I'll
go for something a little taller and try that before giving up on all my
raised beds.

Janet
Old 21-02-2011, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

How high does Muntjac fencing need to be? i have standard stock fencing
round the garden across hawthorn but the blinking things are coming in
from next door where the person who rents the house encourages them.
Just seen 3 busy helping themselves to whatever's left of winter crops at
the bottom of the garden. They seem to just hop over the four foot stock
fencing and through the hawthorn.

I overcame the same problem when we lived in Norfolk by adding straining
wires 12 inches apart above the wire netting in our Hawthorne hedge.

Mike

Old 21-02-2011, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Feb 21, 8:25*am, "MuddyMike" wrote:
How high does Muntjac fencing need to be? i have standard stock fencing
round the garden across hawthorn but the blinking things are coming in
from next door where the person who rents the house encourages them.
Just seen 3 busy helping themselves to whatever's left of winter crops at
the bottom of the garden. They seem to just hop over the four foot stock
fencing and through the hawthorn.

I overcame the same problem when we lived in Norfolk by adding straining
wires 12 inches apart above the wire netting in our Hawthorne hedge.

Mike

I would put 3 or 4 strands of wire above the fence you already have
raising it to around 7ft, you could use this extra height for climbing
plants, Sweet peas etc which besides looking good will show the deer
that there is something up there.

Old 21-02-2011, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Very interesting Bill! It says
" A fence height of 1.5m is recommended as a barrier against Fallow Deer
Cervus dama, Roe Deer Capreolus capreolus and Muntjac Deer Muntiacus
reevesii, "
They don't seem to be having any trouble with my fencing so maybe I'll
go for something a little taller and try that before giving up on all my
raised beds.

Just bear in mind that if you want to go above 2 metres, then it
will require planning permission.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 21-02-2011, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 00:15:05 -0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Bill Grey
writes
Have a look at this site:-

http://www.britishwildlife.com/html/hab00016.html

The second paragraph may be helpful to you

Bill

Very interesting Bill! It says
" A fence height of 1.5m is recommended as a barrier against Fallow Deer
Cervus dama, Roe Deer Capreolus capreolus and Muntjac Deer Muntiacus
reevesii, "
They don't seem to be having any trouble with my fencing so maybe I'll
go for something a little taller and try that before giving up on all my
raised beds.

The FC guidance at
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/PDF/fcpn9.pdf/$FILE/fcpn9.pdf also starts at
around 1.5m. Probably worth having a look as from memory it is quite
comprehensive.

--
rbel
Old 21-02-2011, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
How high does Muntjac fencing need to be? i have standard stock fencing
round the garden across hawthorn but the blinking things are coming in
from next door where the person who rents the house encourages them.
Just seen 3 busy helping themselves to whatever's left of winter crops at
the bottom of the garden. They seem to just hop over the four foot stock
fencing and through the hawthorn.

Gardens are about 200 foot long but they don't seem to cross any nearer
the house than about 50 foot from bottom.

Now I've lost the dogs and can't get any more until i have time to be in
for a puppy there's no longer a deterrent on four legs!

Found this:
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcpn9.pdf/$FILE/fcpn9.pdf

it's a big file, over 6mb, but seems to be state of the art about muntjac
fencing, hope it helps.

Tina

Old 22-02-2011, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Chris J Dixon
writes
Just bear in mind that if you want to go above 2 metres, then it
will require planning permission

All our hedges in the road. are 7 foot hawthorn so it shouldn't be a
problem!
Old 22-02-2011, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
I would put 3 or 4 strands of wire above the fence you already have
raising it to around 7ft, you could use this extra height for climbing
plants, Sweet peas etc which besides looking good will show the deer
that there is something up there.

Hmmm wouldn't really grow well under a hawthorn hedge surely? The
fencing goes along the hawthorn fence, well actually IN IT at some
points as the hedge has grown through it.
Thanks for the idea though.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Deer Drape or fencing? Joy Hardie Gardening 0 03-06-2004 01:02 PM
electric deer fencing Myrmecodia Gardening 7 18-04-2004 07:12 PM
Deer Fencing JD North Carolina 0 06-02-2004 05:06 AM
local benner-type deer fencing available? Jane Peppler North Carolina 1 29-05-2003 05:23 AM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 01:45 AM