Old 28-02-2011, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mousetraps?

wrote in :

In article ,
Baz wrote:

I am intrigued. What is this unique number my computer has that
can be traced to my house?

The numbers 80.189.195.72 I think.

Whether or not that is so, most home users go through servers that
assign a nonce number to their connexion. It is trivial to locate
the server, but only that server will have the information to tie
the nonce name back to the house. Of course, breaking into the
average server is merely an exercise left for the student ....

Could it be an ip address? (clue)

Sigh. A little learning is a dang'rous thing; drink deep or taste
not the Pierian spring.

I was, of course, talking about IP addresses. Most home ones have
been dynamic for well over a decade - and that applies to most
laptops used at work, too. I suggest that you search on DHCP.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Mousetraps?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:22:15 +0000 (GMT)

Now that info. above is useful if you needed it, but you don't do you,
only a few numbers are needed.
So lets try not being pompous.

Baz
Old 28-02-2011, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
wrote

If my cat was missing I would know if it had been run over as the council
collect roadkill and I would only need to phone them to see if if this was
the case.

Yep they will collect road kill but they don't waste time registering
it. It goes in the back if the crusher with all the rest of the rubbish
they collect. The consequence of the law that the cat lovers on this
group are so fond of quoting is that there is no legal obligation to
report a road kill of a cat and there is no legal obligation for a
council to keep any records.

Be very careful about what you are saying as your computer has a unique
number that can easily be traced to your house.

My computer has a couple of unique numbers none of which are registered
anywhere with my house address. There are a few other numbers
associated with my Internet accounts that can be traced - I don't hide
the information.

ISP don't give out details unless there is a court order and I don't
believe one would be issued for warning selfish cat owners that there
are real world consequences if they believe that they don't have to take
responsibility for the welfare of their pets.

If you are so concerned about my postings perhaps you can suggest a
practical way to prevent the dozens of urban cats using my flower beds
as shit stations and destroying my seed beds. All suggestions have got
to cost less money than you spend keeping your cat to the confines of
your own garden.

--
Alan

Mousetraps? Bill Grey United Kingdom 6 03-03-2011 08:55 PM
Mousetraps? Bill Grey United Kingdom 0 26-02-2011 07:56 PM
Mousetraps? Christina Websell United Kingdom 0 25-02-2011 04:10 PM
mousetraps Ann Lancing United Kingdom 3 19-02-2011 11:45 PM