Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pond life

I put about 80 Goldfish into my daughter and son in law's pond a couple of
months ago and there is no sign of them. When they went in they went
straight to the bottom in the murk. Do Goldfish 'hibernate'?

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 06-03-2011, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 16:19:13 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

I put about 80 Goldfish into my daughter and son in law's pond a couple of
months ago and there is no sign of them. When they went in they went
straight to the bottom in the murk. Do Goldfish 'hibernate'?

Very cold a couple of months ago, is it possible that the shock killed
them, but then would expect them to float upwards dead.
So Hungry Heron?

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I put about 80 Goldfish into my daughter and son in law's pond a couple of
months ago and there is no sign of them. When they went in they went
straight to the bottom in the murk. Do Goldfish 'hibernate'?

Very cold a couple of months ago, is it possible that the shock killed
them, but then would expect them to float upwards dead.
So Hungry Heron?

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

They where transferred from my neighbour's small outside pond and
'acclimatised' to the pond water.

Hungry Heron? Not seen one about. Could it be Ducks? Dozens of those use the
pond.

BUT, the water has been very murky by virtue of the rain fed stream going
into the pond!!

Old 06-03-2011, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Do Goldfish 'hibernate'?

Mike

I would have thought that before putting 80 fish into a pond 2 months ago
you would have researched this earlier ie:3 months ago.
Also it needs to be a good sized pond to accommodate 80 fish.

What are they? orfe, carp, hybrid? do you know?

What are you going to do about their wellbeing?

Were they free of parasites and diseases when you introduced them to your
pond? was your pond free of them?

These(and more) questions are something to bear in mind but the question,
Do Goldfish 'hibernate'? tells me everything.

Baz
Old 06-03-2011, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Do Goldfish 'hibernate'?

Mike

I would have thought that before putting 80 fish into a pond 2 months ago
you would have researched this earlier ie:3 months ago.

These fish were an 'overgrow' from my neighbour and we were hoping to get
them moved quite some time ago, but he has been very on his son's house.

Also it needs to be a good sized pond to accommodate 80 fish.

50 ish foot diameter do?

What are they? orfe, carp, hybrid? do you know?

"Goldfish"

What are you going to do about their wellbeing?

What can be done when you can't see them?

Were they free of parasites and diseases when you introduced them to your
pond?

as far as I can tell yes. The rest in the original pond were good :-))

was your pond free of them?

Ask me one on football.

These(and more) questions are something to bear in mind but the question,
Do Goldfish 'hibernate'? tells me everything.

I hope it tells you I know sod all about goldfish. If not, what does it tell
you?

Baz

Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Ask me one on football.

Mike

Ok Mike, one on football.

Who scored the first and only goal with Foxhills Comprehensive v Brigg in
1972? You ought to know this.

Baz
Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Ask me one on football.

Mike

Ok Mike, one on football.

Who scored the first and only goal with Foxhills Comprehensive v Brigg in
1972? You ought to know this.

Baz

South Africa by one and a half lengths................... whatever they are.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Ask me one on football.

Mike

Ok Mike, one on football.

Who scored the first and only goal with Foxhills Comprehensive v
Brigg in 1972? You ought to know this.

Baz

South Africa by one and a half lengths................... whatever
they are.

Mike

Correct!
Case proven.

Baz
Old 06-03-2011, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Ask me one on football.

Mike

Ok Mike, one on football.

Who scored the first and only goal with Foxhills Comprehensive v
Brigg in 1972? You ought to know this.

Baz

South Africa by one and a half lengths................... whatever
they are.

Mike

Correct!
Case proven.

Baz

Of course it's correct. I always am, that's why you and others have great
difficulty in finding your accusations.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

OK.

Old 14-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] View Post
I put about 80 Goldfish into my daughter and son in law's pond a couple of
months ago and there is no sign of them. When they went in they went
straight to the bottom in the murk. Do Goldfish 'hibernate'?

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive
hi mike, this time of year the fish tend to stay at the bottom of a pond until it gets warmer, then they will appear if they have not been eaten by a predator, has the pond got a net cover? if not, then you may not see them again... good luck,, spinksy
Old 14-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] View Post
I put about 80 Goldfish into my daughter and son in law's pond a couple of
months ago and there is no sign of them. When they went in they went
straight to the bottom in the murk. Do Goldfish 'hibernate'?

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive
Hi Mike, Putting my angling hat on, heres a serious answer for you !! I would imagine if, as has been said already, you havent seen floating dead fish, that they are fine and as soon as the temperature rises and the water clarity improves, i'm sure they will 'reappear'. Goldfish (Carassius auratus) are indeed a member of the carp family (cyprindae) and while they dont hibernate in the true sense of the word, cold weather will send them deep, where they will remain fairly inactive until the water warms again. Of course, it is possible that they have been predated by a heron but my gut feeling is that is not what has happened here. Fish actually move fairly well in winter and just for future reference, the worst time to move fish is during red hot weather (when oxygen levels are lowest in water) and never when its really thundery.
best wishes Lannerman.
Old 14-03-2011, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"spinksy" wrote in message

;914340"]I put about 80 Goldfish into my daughter and son in law's pond

--
spinksy

Thanks for that information. No the pond is too big to net and the ducks use
it too much. Also it has an island in the middle with a Willow and Pampas
Grass, so that would drop leaves onto the net, well at the right time of
year.

Have to wait and see if they surface when the Lilies start to grow.

Old 15-03-2011, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lannerman" wrote in message

"'Mike'[_4_ Wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for that. I suspect that they are in the deep part near the
Island in the middle. I would also suspect they are keeping low owing to the
frantic and noisy 'mating' going on on the surface with the local Duck
population!!!! 'hundreds' of chicks again by the 'sounds' of things. Last
year we counted up to 30 chicks from about 4 pairs of ducks. Not many last,
they get picked off by the Rooks, Crows and Magpies. The Ducks are picked
off at night by the Fox :-(((

Will wait for the Goldfish to surface live. They certainly haven't surfaced
belly up ;-)