Old 19-03-2011, 09:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennings View Post
I guess i need to find stuff that blooms at different times of the year.
There's a theory that english gardens tend to look a bit miserable come midsummer because people are tempted out and into the garden centres with the first fine weather, and buy whatever is in flower then.

You can turn that round on its head: find a nurser or garden centre that you like, and make a point of visiting it at different times of the year. Then any impulse buys will have their season of interest at different times during the year.

Ideally, of course, you'll see things that you like, then you'll go home and research their needs, and only then come back and buy them. Yeah, right.
__________________
Old 21-03-2011, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Danger! Noob alert.

In message , kay
writes

Ideally, of course, you'll see things that you like, then you'll go
home
and research their needs, and only then come back and buy them. Yeah,
right.

By which time they will have sold out
--
Flossie
Old 21-03-2011, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nospam@invalid
says...

Uh, am I a wimp because I take the RHS Encyclopaedia with me when I go
out to garden centres?

Yes. I prefer places where they have quality plant reference books for
staff (often kept under the desk) and let the customers borrow it to look
stuff up :-)

Janet
Old 21-03-2011, 11:53 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Thank you! I knew there must be a logical reason for impulse buying ;-)
__________________
Old 21-03-2011, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nospam@invalid
says...

That's why I only bother to take books to Garden Centres (where if
there is a copy of anything RHS it's heavily sealed in plastic and
sold for full cover price).

IME, it's very unusual for any of the big GC chains not to have
reference books available to customers on request.
(staff copies are usually under the desk or in the back office; you won't
see them unless you ask).

Janet