Old 27-03-2011, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default geranium question

Hi,

I planted a geranium bulb (more a root) in a trough yesterday... then
today was using a broom handle to make holes for other bulbs and
realised I think I put a hole straight through where I planted the geranium.

I won't say the words I used...

How long will it be before I can be sure of the geranium's fate please?
If there's no shoots by mid-april can I be sure it's a gonner and
replace it?

Thanks a lot,

Ps: I'm new to gardenning. Clearly :-)
Old 28-03-2011, 09:01 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven View Post
Hi,

I planted a geranium bulb (more a root) in a trough yesterday... then
today was using a broom handle to make holes for other bulbs and
realised I think I put a hole straight through where I planted the geranium.

I won't say the words I used...

How long will it be before I can be sure of the geranium's fate please?
If there's no shoots by mid-april can I be sure it's a gonner and
replace it?

Thanks a lot,

Ps: I'm new to gardenning. Clearly :-)
It's a root. Geraniums are not bulbs.
Are you sure it was a geranium? When you're first gardening it's difficult to
get your head around all the latin names.

If you were making the holes with a broom handle, I find it hard to imagine how you would have done major damage - More likely to have roughtly shoved it out of the way. So I'd be hopeful.

Mid April is a bit soon to decide it's a goner. I'd wait till May or June.
__________________
Old 28-03-2011, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:03:01 +0100, Craven wrote:

Hi,

I planted a geranium bulb (more a root) in a trough yesterday... then
today was using a broom handle to make holes for other bulbs and
realised I think I put a hole straight through where I planted the geranium.

I won't say the words I used...

How long will it be before I can be sure of the geranium's fate please?
If there's no shoots by mid-april can I be sure it's a gonner and
replace it?

Thanks a lot,

Ps: I'm new to gardenning. Clearly :-)

Geraniums don't produce anything like bulbs so I guess you planted
something called a "bare root" of a hardy geranium rather than a plug
plant of an annual variety (technically called "pelargomium"). Given
that you only planted it a couple of days ago, the easy way to check
for damage is to GENTLY, preferably with your fingers rather than a
fork or trowel, poke around where you planted it. Lift it gently and
check for damage before popping it back in place. It's unlikely you've
damaged it beyond repair unless you whacked the broom handle in just
beside the main stem bit and sheared the roots off. I'd guess the
worst you've done is press it a bit deeper in the soil and it may take
longer to show above the ground level. Hardy (perennial) geraniums are
tough little blighters and usually shrug off our mistakes.

Though if you've planted a "plug plant" of the annual variety, it'll
probably be killed off by any remaining frosts you get.

Don't worry about being new - we were all beginners once and we're all
still learning.

Jake
Old 28-03-2011, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/03/2011 18:15, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:03:01 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Brilliant, much appreciated, thanks.

Geranium question. KOS Gardening 5 05-06-2006 11:47 PM
Geranium question- too big (in planter) KOS Gardening 3 30-05-2005 01:00 PM
Geranium question KOS Gardening 3 12-02-2005 12:18 AM
New subscriber and a geranium question Eugene Gilmartin United Kingdom 24 26-02-2004 08:56 PM