Old 15-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Eugene Gilmartin

Default New subscriber and a geranium question

Hi

Just to say hello to all, having just subscribed.

I have an immediate question regarding geraniums.

Having had about 50 germinate from seed and being short of space, could I
ask how I now should grow them on?

30 are quite advanced with about 3-4 true leaves and 2 inches high. Is an
unheated greenhouse okay for all but the coldest nights (I live in North
Leeds)? Feeding? And finally at what stage should I pinch out?

Many thanks

Old 15-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Eugene Gilmartin
writes
Hi

Just to say hello to all, having just subscribed.

I have an immediate question regarding geraniums.

Having had about 50 germinate from seed and being short of space, could I
ask how I now should grow them on?

30 are quite advanced with about 3-4 true leaves and 2 inches high. Is an
unheated greenhouse okay for all but the coldest nights (I live in North
Leeds)? Feeding? And finally at what stage should I pinch out?

Presumably you mean pelargonium - as in bright red and pink flowers -
rather than hardy geranium - subdued pinks and blues?

I have a pelargonium which lives happily all year round in an unheated
porch in NW Leeds. Your greenhouse will be a bit colder, because it
won't get the heat from the house. And the pelargoniums won't like the
frost. And of course mine is a tough old plant, not a tender young
seedling. They'll appreciate the extra light. But don't just put them
straight out there - take several days of putting them out for longer
periods and harden them off.

Don't feel you need to grow on *all* of those which have germinated, if
you won't have use for 50 plants in the future.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 15-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Eugene Gilmartin" wrote in message
Hi

Just to say hello to all, having just subscribed.

I have an immediate question regarding geraniums.

Having had about 50 germinate from seed and being short of space, could I
ask how I now should grow them on?

30 are quite advanced with about 3-4 true leaves and 2 inches high. Is an
unheated greenhouse okay for all but the coldest nights (I live in North
Leeds)? Feeding? And finally at what stage should I pinch out?

Hello Eugene, and welcome to urg.

The word "geranium" is a little overworked. Are you really talking about
geraniums, or about pelargoniums?

Most of the true geraniums are quite hardy. and all the pelargoniums are not
at all hardy.

Franz

Old 15-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Don't feel you need to grow on *all* of those which have germinated, if
you won't have use for 50 plants in the future.

Quite. Pot them on and either sell them or give them to a competent
charity shop to sell.

Welcome to the madho^^^^garden, BTW.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 16-02-2004, 04:34 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Eugene Gilmartin" contains these words:

Thanks but the key question is/was - Is an unheated greenhouse okay for all
but the coldest nights (I live in North Leeds)? Feeding?

I thought that bit had been answered.

Well, I know it was answered. If the reply doesn't turn up, remind us
and Kay (I think it was) will likely repost.

Old 16-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Eugene Gilmartin
writes
Thanks but the key question is/was - Is an unheated greenhouse okay for all
but the coldest nights (I live in North Leeds)? Feeding?

I think I answered that by g9iving you my experience in an unheated
porch. And since I live within 10 miles of you, I think it was probably
as good an answer as you could reasonably expect.

Old 16-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article , Eugene Gilmartin
writes
Thanks but the key question is/was - Is an unheated greenhouse okay
for all but the coldest nights (I live in North Leeds)? Feeding?

I think I answered that by g9iving you my experience in an unheated
porch. And since I live within 10 miles of you, I think it was
probably as good an answer as you could reasonably expect.

Um, I think it may also depends on what pelargoniums he is growing.

I have 6 'barbe bleu' (ivyleaved, dark purple flowers) in my greenhouse
which have definitely suffered badly this (relatively warm, mild) winter.
I am not sure I'm going to be able to save them, but they will definitely
have to be cut right back to remove the cold damage.

If they make it, next winter they are going in my utility room.

I have a couple of scented pels in the greenhouse that have overwintered
happily for years, and still look perfectly cheerful, and I had previously
believed that an unheated greenhouse would be more than enough protection
for pelargoniums.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Geranium question. KOS Gardening 5 05-06-2006 11:47 PM
Geranium question- too big (in planter) KOS Gardening 3 30-05-2005 01:00 PM
Geranium question KOS Gardening 3 12-02-2005 12:18 AM
New subscriber - new gardening fanatic! Darkginger United Kingdom 6 13-06-2003 07:08 PM