Old 09-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered User

Default Hi, newbie outdoor gardener needs help plz

Hi

My parents have a part of the garden they don't know what to do with, they cant dig and do heavy work so me and gf want to do something nice with it, right now it's in a sorry state, plenty of weeds coming through etc.

What I'm thinking is to get rid of the weeds and plant something nice for them, the area is around 5m x 3m, I was thinking on getting some seeds and growing them indoors under my hydroponic lights then transplanting them into the garden.

Can someone please recommend me a flowering plant, or plants, that will look good in this space and last throughout the summer, will I need to get compost to cover the area?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 9, 9:55*pm, mertuk wrote:
Hi

My parents have a part of the garden they don't know what to do with,
they cant dig and do heavy work so me and gf want to do something nice
with it, right now it's in a sorry state, plenty of weeds coming through
etc.

What I'm thinking is to get rid of the weeds and plant something nice
for them, the area is around 5m x 3m, I was thinking on getting some
seeds and growing them indoors under my hydroponic lights then
transplanting them into the garden.

Can someone please recommend me a flowering plant, or plants, that will
look good in this space and last throughout the summer, will I need to
get compost to cover the area?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

--
mertuk

You need to get yourself a book. If you have any specific questions,
someone here will answer them.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Sow grass ;-)

Sounds like he is already with hydroponic lights.
You don't get them free with a packet of sugarpuffs.

Baz
Old 24-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertuk View Post
Hi

My parents have a part of the garden they don't know what to do with, they cant dig and do heavy work so me and gf want to do something nice with it, right now it's in a sorry state, plenty of weeds coming through etc.

What I'm thinking is to get rid of the weeds and plant something nice for them, the area is around 5m x 3m, I was thinking on getting some seeds and growing them indoors under my hydroponic lights then transplanting them into the garden.

Can someone please recommend me a flowering plant, or plants, that will look good in this space and last throughout the summer, will I need to get compost to cover the area?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
As for tips I would suggest first deciding where you want your outdoor garden, then determining what kind of light that area gets (some plants like full sun, some full shade, some a combination) and how well the soil drains (whether the soil stays wet for a long time after watering or dries out quickly).

Also you have to consider what kind of trees you have. Some tree roots(like the maple tree) suck a lot of water out of the soil, so if you want to have a garden under one you have to find plants that like drier soil, but you still need to water them a lot because of the roots. Also maple trees have lots of shallow roots, so you can't plant lots of plants close together. Other trees, like the black walnut are emitting a toxin that prevents other plants from growing under it.