Old 22-04-2011, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi All, newbie from Essex.

"Mark Baigent" wrote in message

Hi Sasha

Sorry, I'm listening properly now.

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
but you won't have the
greensward that I think you might be imagining.

This will be part "chillin" area and part working area. Our plan is
evolving because of the advice here.

I will put a few slabs down for the working area just to protect the
bowl horse
'Hand carved from wood: Bowl horse' (http://tinyurl.com/3eka5pt)
My wife has suggested a compost area directly under the Oak, and I can
also use that area as a log store.

I'd like to have grass and maybe some wild flowers (meadow type) around
the edge furthest from the tree (we are taking a third off the crown of
the tree )
And grass the rest, not lawn but rough grass.
What do you think about the wild flowers?

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
as this is about one third of your
garden altogether, is the other area a place where you could make
somewhere for a garden seat and table?

The area that we are working on has plenty of shade and a good view
across fields, the rest of the garden has no real shade.... yet

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:

Next year is about the grass. Please, please do save yourself
time, money and frustration and realise that what you want is not going

to happen in a season. This season is preparation, next season (next
year) is about sowing grass seed or turfing.

Two pleases suggests passion and knowledge :-)
And of course Baz said the same.
So I will listen to your advice, weed killer this year and grass next
year.

Having been working the plot it seems that the "weeds" are mainly
nettles and a few brambles. Actually I like nettles for cordage, tea and
soup but not all over my garden.

Could I ask, again, for recommendations for weedkiller for my weeds?
Still SBK Brushwood Killer?
Also a good general purpose garden, pet safe, weedkiller.

Thanks for the advice.

Best wishes
Mark

--
Mark Baigent

Mark, despite comments already been made. Please please PLEASE do NOT
dismiss a heavy duty membrane to suppress even the strongest of "weeds" AKA
as 'Brambles', 'Nettles', 'Ivy', etc etc etc.

Been there. Done that. Got the tee shirt. And it DOES work. You are invited
to see our STRONG plastic membrane should you visit the Isle of Wight.
........................... Been in place for some years now :-))

""Experts are not expert in everything in the real world"" :-)))

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 13-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered User

Location: Cambrideshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie[_2_] View Post
SBenney wrote:

Hi
I am currently developing a new website that aims to provide seasonal
advice on what to do in the garden each month. I would appreciate it
if any forum readers would visit the site and comment on the content
and design. Any feedback is welcome - good or bad.

'Seasonal Gardening - Guidance & advice for UK Gardeners'
(Seasonal Gardening - Free Guidance & Advice for Gardeners)

I am currently adding photographs of plants in season from UK gardens
as I visit them this year. Also from my own and friends gardens and
the local allotment. The most recent garden I visited was RHS Hyde
Hall in Essex, which had a great display of spring bulbs and
hellebores plus the most magnificent Cornas Mas in flower. At the end
of this month I plan to visit RHS Harlow Carr - so I will be adding
many more pictures from there.

Many Thanks

Steve

You've disabled the right click for some reason? you worried that
someones going to steal all your pictures? I mean the sites completely
locked down you may want to read
Don’t Disable Right Click! » SitePoint

Now, the only reason I noticed is because the left click to select a
line of text I was going to quote for your feedback cannot be selected
either.

that line by the way was in relation to the front page where you say
that you are "Covering the whole of the UK (Great Britain, England,
Scotland, Ireland & Wales)"

So, does that mean ALL of Ireland, ie the Republic too as you seem to
imply that it's part of the UK.?

--
Donnie
"**** the world, it's time to fight back"

Lambretta Series 2 186cc "The Shitter"
Lambretta LD 175cc "The Chopper"
Honda CB500R "Look out, Donnie's about!"
thanks for the feedback - seems that your reply has been tagged onto another posting for some obscure reason!

I will have to check the web editing software settings I am using for right click etc. I had not noticed it until you mentioned it.

Thanks

Steve
Old 13-05-2011, 01:10 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Baigent View Post

I will put a few slabs down for the working area just to protect the bowl horse
bark chippings make quite a good working surface if you don't need the surface to be hard.

Quote:

I'd like to have grass and maybe some wild flowers (meadow type) around the edge furthest from the tree (we are taking a third off the crown of the tree )
And grass the rest, not lawn but rough grass.
What do you think about the wild flowers?
The point about meadows is that they are in the open, to give light and sunshine to the grass (and flowers). You'd be better thinking 'woodland type'.
Try Bugle, Red Campion, Stitchwort for example.
__________________
Old 13-05-2011, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark Baigent" wrote
Absolute novice here.

At the tender age of 50yrs I finally decided to try gardening and do
something with my garden.

My garden is 150ft long by 22ft wide. About 40ft of the end of my garden
is brambles and stinging nettles. 18 years ago I promised my wife that I
would sort it out.

Today I started (must not rush things) by using a borrowed hedge trimmer
to cut all the jungle down to earth level, I need to level a mound of
earth to make a sitting area under a big oak tree. I guess that I will
turf it as well.

But do I need to do anything to stop all the nettles, brambles etc
coming back up?

To be honest it looks like a huge task which has held me back from
starting before.

That is a huge garden you have, I'd love it but I'd have to move to get it.
Unlike others I think you are going about it the right way, keep strimming
off everything and then level the soil. If you can remove any perennial
weeds, bramble roots, at that time so good. You could then grass seed the
area, turf is much more costly, and a month or so after sowing start light
cutting the grass. Constant cutting will kill almost everything except the
grass ( and lawn weeds) over a season, including brambles and nettles. Done
it myself.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden