Old 22-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered User

Default Hi all, newbie here with a few questions

Hi all

after many years of keeping fish from tropical to a very large sal****er reef aquarium (400 gallon tank in the lounge) i now fancy a pond, i cant be bothered to did a big hole so i fancy one of those above ground kits with the timber surround they do a 400g model, anyway can anyone advise a good way to filter this type of pond i dont want to spend a fortune as its not going to be heavly stocked just a few gold fish or small koi, will i need a uv to keep it clear and from an electric point of view can i run a exterior grade cable from a plug or spur in the house to a water proof junction box out side then split it to power a filter and pumps uv lights etc, any views on this type of pond is welcome...

thanks
Harry
Old 22-04-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
JB

A couple of things to consider: Are you looking at putting this in full sun?
Partial shade?

400 gallons isn't very large. What they say about aquariums applies to
ponds: the larger they are, the easier they are to care for. Once you get a
pond established, you'll wish you made it larger.

Do you want to have a falls? Use a BioFalls filter and you kill two birds
with one stone.

--
Suggs

Old 23-04-2006, 02:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Suggs" wrote in message

Hi all

after many years of keeping fish from tropical to a very large
sal****er reef aquarium (400 gallon tank in the lounge) i now fancy a
pond, i cant be bothered to did a big hole so i fancy one of those
above ground kits with the timber surround they do a 400g model, anyway
can anyone advise a good way to filter this type of pond i dont want to
spend a fortune as its not going to be heavly stocked just a few gold
fish or small koi,

If it's only 400g the koi will outgrow it in a few years depending on
feeding and water quality. Pass on the koi.

will i need a uv to keep it clear and from an
electric point of view can i run a exterior grade cable from a plug or
spur in the house to a water proof junction box out side then split it
to power a filter and pumps uv lights etc, any views on this type of
pond is welcome...

I'll let someone else answer that one.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-04-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

after many years of keeping fish from tropical to a very large
sal****er reef aquarium (400 gallon tank in the lounge) i now fancy a
pond, i cant be bothered to did a big hole so i fancy one of those
above ground kits with the timber surround they do a 400g model, anyway
can anyone advise a good way to filter this type of pond Harry

Hi Harry, Check out my website below. Click on "My filter" and scroll to
the bottom. You will see Flower Pot filters, some home made (under $10) or
made by Tetra ($99). This will work if you keep about 4-6 fantail goldfish.
I wouldn't recommend koi at all, or you will be digging by next year if you
do. ;-) ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 23-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Registered User

Hi
yes i know that 400g is small for a pond, as much as would love to the truth is we havent got a lot of room in the garden so cant have anything too big without loosing a lot of the lawn, ill stick with some goldfish then as koi wont work long term that did cross my mind as they do get very big..

thanks

Old 23-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Registered User

forgot to add, the pond will be in partial shade..
Old 23-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suggs
forgot to add, the pond will be in partial shade..

nice website jani, i may well make a filter myself ive made them in the past for my aquariums..
Old 23-04-2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Suggs" wrote in message

Hi
yes i know that 400g is small for a pond, as much as would love to the
truth is we havent got a lot of room in the garden so cant have
anything too big without loosing a lot of the lawn, ill stick with some
goldfish then as koi wont work long term that did cross my mind as they
do get very big..

======================
A 400g for goldfish would be fine. Aside from my larger ponds I have
several smaller 150g inground ponds and the GF thrive in them.
--
Koi-Lo....
*Note: There are SEVERAL *Koi-Lo's* on rec.ponds.

Old 23-04-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Suggs" wrote in message

forgot to add, the pond will be in partial shade..

=============================
That would be ok unless you want BLOOMING water lilies as they like all day
sun.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-04-2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Hey Carol

STFUB and just incase you do not now what those letters stand for....

SHUT THE **** UP BITCH

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:02:12 -0500, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

"Suggs" wrote in message

Hi
yes i know that 400g is small for a pond, as much as would love to the
truth is we havent got a lot of room in the garden so cant have
anything too big without loosing a lot of the lawn, ill stick with some
goldfish then as koi wont work long term that did cross my mind as they
do get very big..
======================
A 400g for goldfish would be fine. Aside from my larger ponds I have
several smaller 150g inground ponds and the GF thrive in them.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....

Old 24-04-2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
Hal

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:16:41 -0500, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

forgot to add, the pond will be in partial shade..

=============================
That would be ok unless you want BLOOMING water lilies as they like all day
sun.

I've read that some bloom with only 5 hours of sun.

Regards,

Hal

Old 24-04-2006, 02:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

wrote:

forgot to add, the pond will be in partial shade..

That would be ok unless you want BLOOMING water lilies as they like all
day sun.

I've read that some bloom with only 5 hours of sun.

Well, they _like_ sun all day. You'll get fewer blooms as you reduce the
number of hours of light, but you should be able to get some blooms with 5
hours a day.
--
derek
Old 24-04-2006, 03:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote:

forgot to add, the pond will be in partial shade..

=============================
That would be ok unless you want BLOOMING water lilies as they like all
day
sun.

I've read that some bloom with only 5 hours of sun.

====================
I have a yellow one that will bloom with that little sun but my whites,
pinks and reds will not.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-04-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Who really cares Carol.....we don;t

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:00:59 -0500, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

m...