Old 22-04-2011, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Planting a pot

Did anyone see the Blue Peter gardener planting that tub /pot on
Breakfast this morning?
I thought it must be April 1st.
I don't think I've ever seen so many shrubs etc crammed into a
container that must ahve been no more than 24" probably less,
A spreading conifer, a rose bush, What looked like a golden
Philadelphus, 2 smaller plants possiblt Euonymus fortunei and some
thing else around the same size.
Old 22-04-2011, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-22 09:14:02 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

Did anyone see the Blue Peter gardener planting that tub /pot on
Breakfast this morning?
I thought it must be April 1st.
I don't think I've ever seen so many shrubs etc crammed into a
container that must ahve been no more than 24" probably less,
A spreading conifer, a rose bush, What looked like a golden
Philadelphus, 2 smaller plants possiblt Euonymus fortunei and some
thing else around the same size.

Didn't see it but it would be funny if it wasn't so tragically
misleading!

Pathetic isn't it. No wonder the 'would be' gardener gets confused.
TV can be so uneducational in the wrong hands. This is the BBC I take it?
The one channel which was always boasting correctness, and the one we pay
for with the license fee! Education, who needs it? Shocking really.

This story and others like it make me feel that in a few generations when
we have all gone, what will become of us as a species?

A bit over the top, I know, but a Blue Peter gardener educating young
people this way during their most informative years sickens me. Ok on
"Breakfast" there will not be many youngsters viewing, but it shows the
type of misinformation broadcasted to young ones on their Blue Peter show.

Baz
Old 22-04-2011, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-22 09:14:02 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

[...]

Blue Peter's definitely going downhill - when I was a youngster they
wouldn't have tried that number of plants in a 24" tub, it would have
been the bottom half of a washing up liquid bottle!

More seriously, there willhave been adults watching who don't know
anything about plants but want to get started with a pot or two and
who could well go out and waste anything up to £50 on copying that
pot. When it all fails they will give up. Result more gardens covered
over with paving slabs and decking or just left to rot.

Jake
Old 22-04-2011, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Did anyone see the Blue Peter gardener planting that tub /pot on
Breakfast this morning?
I thought it must be April 1st.
I don't think I've ever seen so many shrubs etc crammed into a
container that must ahve been no more than 24" probably less,
A spreading conifer, a rose bush, What looked like a golden
Philadelphus, 2 smaller plants possiblt Euonymus fortunei and some
thing else around the same size.

Can't be worse than the pot planted up recently (so Iam told as I didn't see
it) with Jasminum grandiflora, we have been inundated with people wanting it
all unaware that its far too tender for growing outside in the UK, I am
lucky to get it through a winter in the greenhouse

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 22-04-2011, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

More seriously, there willhave been adults watching who don't know
anything about plants but want to get started with a pot or two and
who could well go out and waste anything up to £50 on copying that
pot. When it all fails they will give up. Result more gardens covered
over with paving slabs and decking or just left to rot.

Jake

Good point. Probably better than the point that I was trying to make.

Baz

Old 22-04-2011, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

I don't know about you, Charlie but we find the trouble with this sort
of nonsensical 'advice' on tv programmes, is that people come into the
nursery and ask for a plant that we just *know* won't survive. But
when we tell them that, they sometimes think we're the ones talking
nonsense. You just know that they'll go to someone, somewhere, who
will sell it to them without a qualm of conscience! It's just so
unfair on unwary or novice gardeners who buy their plants from places
where all the staff know is how to operate the tills!

Sacha, I don't know if you have read my comment on this subject, but I
agree with you.
People will not take the advice off a dealer or vendor because it has been
on TV, and the TV people are ALWAYS right. Sickening to say the least.

Baz
Old 22-04-2011, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-04-22 09:14:02 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

[...]

Jake- Hide quoted text -

Jake
I think you missed something
The Prog was BBC Breakfast 6am - 9am Not a childrens prog, the person
doing the container was the Blue Peter Gardener, but it was aimed at
adults.
Also if the person with a garden covered with decking or paving would
be the person who this item would be for, not the person with enough
garden space to plant them out properly.
Charlie
Which are you calling Jasmin grandiflora, oval leaf or segmented leaf?
David
Old 22-04-2011, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Did anyone see the Blue Peter gardener planting that tub /pot on
Breakfast this morning?
I thought it must be April 1st.
I don't think I've ever seen so many shrubs etc crammed into a
container that must ahve been no more than 24" probably less,
A spreading conifer, a rose bush, What looked like a golden
Philadelphus, 2 smaller plants possiblt Euonymus fortunei and some
thing else around the same size.

I think he was just demonstrating how to plant stuff in tubs, not advocating
cramming 643 plants into one! But it is slightly annoying when experts "dumb
down" these things but leave enough out so that the "dummies" will still
mess it up by following him literally.

I get annoyed by cookery programmes (esp Saturday Kitchen) where they chop
up a raw chicken, wipe their hands on a tea towel, use the same board and
knife to chop the salad, turn the (half cooked) chicken over with the same
tool that they serve it up with, then dry their hands on the tea towel and
use their hands to put the salad on the plate. People watch these things to
learn how to do it, I think they have a responsibility to explain the basics
like food hygeine and proper plant care before they go into specifics.

Old 22-04-2011, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-22 09:14:02 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

[...]

Dave

First para of my post was a bit of a joke.

Second para was more in keeping with the audience of Breakfast.
Picture - you have a garden area. You don't know what to do with it.
You may not have that much time to do whatever you want to do with it
but you want something. So on a reputable programme you've seen a
"gardener" potting up a tub. You're geting ready for work so hit the
record button on your bedroom DVR. You like the look of that so next
weekend you go out and buy the tub, the compost and the plants.

The tub fails. So you think why bother and what you've got of a garden
gets decked, paved, gravelled.

Not everyone watching will be that daft but I bet you a fair number
are.

Jake
Old 26-04-2011, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...
On 2011-04-22 12:33:26 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
said:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Know exactly what you mean, I am sure we have mentioned before that a
customer we told that a particular plant was too tender for what she
wanted, wandered past about 10 mins later with exactly that plant
sticking out of a bag and actually came over and said "Its all right I
found a hardy one" trouble is when it dies I bets she remembers getting
it from me!!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk