Old 24-04-2011, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drought

On 23/04/2011 18:38, 'Mike' wrote:

I was in Camp Hill Prison ;-) waiting for planning permission for an
extension on my house. This was granted in September .................. when
the skies opened :-((

Mike

So you got permission for a bigger cell then! LOL

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 24-04-2011, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/24/2011 06:36 PM, David in Normandy wrote:
On 23/04/2011 18:38, 'Mike' wrote:

I was in Camp Hill Prison ;-) waiting for planning permission for an
extension on my house. This was granted in September
.................. when
the skies opened :-((

Mike

So you got permission for a bigger cell then! LOL

Heh. Took a tour of the submarine USS Growler last week in NY, we
commented on how hard it would be to live in such cramped quarters for
months on end without seeing the sun. The guy in front of me quipped:
"I just got out of prison after 6 years. When the judge handed out
sentence I said 'But I'll never last for more than a few months without
going crazy', and he replied 'Don't worry, just get through the first
few months and I'll help you with the rest' ". (Well it was funny at
the time while climbing through the bulkhead...)

-E
Old 24-04-2011, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/23/2011 11:49 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless
shower in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment
since we put in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March.
For us, watering in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of
stuff planted we are watering almost daily as if it's the height of
summer, even plants that should cope like old currant bushes are having
to be watered, and the ground is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

Certainly miserable in Normandy. Dry as a bone. Thundering now, I took
the car to the car wash as a sort of incantation.

Water butt is about empty, we'll be pumping from the well soon.

They say this year is dryer than the legendary '76.

This evening there was a thunder storm all around and we got just a few
rain drops, not enough to wet the patio. Went out later and less than
half a mile away there were large puddles in the road, so frustrating.

Same here. Enough so the car doesn't look as good. More boomers today
but only a couple of drops.
Old 24-04-2011, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/04/2011 18:38, 'Mike' wrote:

I was in Camp Hill Prison ;-) waiting for planning permission for an
extension on my house. This was granted in September
.................. when
the skies opened :-((

Mike

So you got permission for a bigger cell then! LOL

Heh. Took a tour of the submarine USS Growler last week in NY, we
commented on how hard it would be to live in such cramped quarters for
months on end without seeing the sun. The guy in front of me quipped:
"I just got out of prison after 6 years. When the judge handed out
sentence I said 'But I'll never last for more than a few months without
going crazy', and he replied 'Don't worry, just get through the first
few months and I'll help you with the rest' ". (Well it was funny at
the time while climbing through the bulkhead...)

-E

:-))

I was in New York last September on a cruise on the pier alongside USS
Growler but didn't have time to go on board. Will go back to NY at some time
or other and that is a 'must'.

Did achieve two "WANTS" whilst I was there. Wanted to walk in Central Park
and just HAD to hail a Yellow Cab :-) Did both :-) Then cruised up the
Eastern Seaboard to Canada. Was just too early for the 'Fall' in New England
:-(( Another must!! However the next cruise is the Baltic with St Petersburg
one of the two night stop overs.

Back to our subs, was invited to do a tour of H.M.S.Vanguard, the Nuke
Trident sub a few years back. She is massive. Three decks with ordinary
'stairs'. Had a conducted tour over the complete boat then went to sea,
dived, dined and when surfaced again, climbed to the Conning Tower :-)) Long
vertical climb!!

It's not what you know, it's who you know ;-)

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 24-04-2011, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/04/2011 18:36, 'Mike' wrote:
"Emery wrote in message

I was in New York last September on a cruise on the pier alongside USS
Growler but didn't have time to go on board. Will go back to NY at some time
or other and that is a 'must'.

Did achieve two "WANTS" whilst I was there. Wanted to walk in Central Park
and just HAD to hail a Yellow Cab :-)

I take it not like this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13179413 ?

$5,000 and six days for a 2,500 mile trip to Lost Wages

--
Phil Cook

Old 24-04-2011, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 24/04/2011 18:36, 'Mike' wrote:
"Emery wrote in message

I was in New York last September on a cruise on the pier alongside USS
Growler but didn't have time to go on board. Will go back to NY at some
time
or other and that is a 'must'.

Did achieve two "WANTS" whilst I was there. Wanted to walk in Central
Park
and just HAD to hail a Yellow Cab :-)

I take it not like this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13179413 ?

$5,000 and six days for a 2,500 mile trip to Lost Wages

--
Phil Cook

No ;-) No by a long way!! Pier 88 to Central Park and Central Park to Pier
88 :-))

Fascinated with the sat nav screen in the back to see where we we-)

Few more "WANTS" yet. Would love to see Table Mountain with the 'Table
cloth' spilling over. Would love to do the Helicopter trip up the Grand
Canyon (daughter and son in law have done it and they said it was scary)

Old 24-04-2011, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Not even a couple of drops in this part of Normandy.
I already emptied the water butts and am now on the underground tank.
After that it is the well.
Summer certainly came early this year. My tomatoes are basking outside
in the sun as are the courgettes. Runner beans are coming up. Without
watering the garden would be a dust-bowl by now.

I started logging the rainfall this year starting in March:
13/03/2011 3 mm
14/03/2011 3 mm
31/03/2011 6 mm
13/04/2011 2 mm

None since then.

Old 24-04-2011, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

chris French;918803 Wrote:

Though it seems less of an
issue down here generally, than it was in Leeds when it's dry,
presumably because it's always very dry here anyway, so the water system

etc. is better able to cope?

Though when you were in Leeds, it was before they upgraded the water
system, wasn't it? They had a system installed when they thought it
impossible to have a drought in W Yorks, and it was very good at taken
water away, but there was no way of getting any water into the region.

Quite possibly. we moved 6 years ago. IIRC it was a year or two after we
moved (so around 95-96 or so)there they were tankering water over from
Kielder one summer. but kind of my point really, the system here has
needed to cope anyway already.

I think we've had about a fortnight of dry weather (I've been away, so
am reliant on hearsay). It's certainly quite dry here - Amelanchier and
fritillary petals drying on the flower rather than falling. But I've not
felt a need to water the garden, and last night it appears to have
rained quite hard.

Watering was probably the biggest difference when we moved here. The
soil is so much more free draining.

Farmers are going to have problems irrigating though at this rate as a
lot of the water is extracted from rivers etc. and they will quite
likley ahve limits on it.
--
Chris French

Old 25-04-2011, 10:34 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quite possibly. we moved 6 years ago. IIRC it was a year or two after we
moved (so around 95-96 or so)
[/quote]

something a bit wrong with your sums there! ;-)
__________________
Old 25-04-2011, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

Quite possibly. we moved 6 years ago. IIRC it was a year or two after we

moved (so around 95-96 or so)

something a bit wrong with your sums there! ;-)

rather my english :-)

We moved to Leeds in '94, moved down here '05
--
Chris French

Old 25-04-2011, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/04/2011 18:36, 'Mike' wrote:

Back to our subs, was invited to do a tour of H.M.S.Vanguard, the Nuke
Trident sub a few years back. She is massive. Three decks with ordinary
'stairs'. Had a conducted tour over the complete boat then went to sea,
dived, dined and when surfaced again, climbed to the Conning Tower :-)) Long
vertical climb!!

It's not what you know, it's who you know ;-)

Mike

WOW! you must be quite an important person - I don't think I've heard of
you though?

John M
Old 26-04-2011, 04:54 AM
Registered User

Location: Xiamen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless shower
in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment since we put
in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March. For us, watering
in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of stuff planted we are
watering almost daily as if it's the height of summer, even plants that
should cope like old currant bushes are having to be watered, and the ground
is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 26-04-2011, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Moore" wrote in message
On 24/04/2011 18:36, 'Mike' wrote:

Back to our subs, was invited to do a tour of H.M.S.Vanguard, the Nuke
Trident sub a few years back. She is massive. Three decks with ordinary
'stairs'. Had a conducted tour over the complete boat then went to sea,
dived, dined and when surfaced again, climbed to the Conning Tower :-))
Long
vertical climb!!

It's not what you know, it's who you know ;-)

Mike

WOW! you must be quite an important person - I don't think I've heard of
you though?

John M

You must be new here ;-)

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 26-04-2011, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Bob Hobden wrote:

This drought is getting serious now.
We have had no proper rain for two months with only one small useless
shower in that time that I can remember. Been watering our allotment since we
put in the Shallots and Onion sets in the beginning of March. For us,
watering in March and April is unheard of! Now we have a lot of stuff planted we
are watering almost daily as if it's the height of summer, even plants that
should cope like old currant bushes are having to be watered, and the
ground is bone dry to quite a depth.
How is everyone else coping?

We had some rain during March, but nothing really heavy and according
to the local paper, we've had just 6.3mm in the past 5 weeks. With
most days over 21C and wall to wall sunshine on all but 3 days this
month, everything here is getting parched. I've had to drench heavily
with the hose almost every day in order to keep plants on the move.
Normally, I don't have to start watering daily until mid/end of May,
but there's nothing normal about this year.

dog-gone another drought, only this is a Spring time drought [email protected] Plant Science 5 06-06-2006 06:27 PM
(LONG) Drought likely for 3rd year in Klamath Basin Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 23-02-2003 12:54 AM
Drought and Roses B. Midler Roses 11 15-02-2003 08:15 AM
Drought & more len brauer Permaculture 7 28-01-2003 04:26 PM
Drought Fran Higham Permaculture 2 16-01-2003 11:20 PM